New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Music Board

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 10-30-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
I hate American Airlines

keepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Club
keepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Club
Horrible "singing" of the National Anthem

I know I can't be the only one that was disgusted with the singing of the Anthem before the game yesterday. Sing the song like it's supposed to be sung or go write your own version........ my God that was a disgrace. I hope they are never invited to sing the Anthem again at any public place.

/just a change of pace thread and I searched and didn't find anything about this already.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #2

Stephen2121 is on a distinguished roadStephen2121 is on a distinguished roadStephen2121 is on a distinguished roadStephen2121 is on a distinguished roadStephen2121 is on a distinguished roadStephen2121 is on a distinguished road
I enjoyed it. They didnt do that terrible of a job singing it. Yes, it was different, but it was better than I have heard in the past.
Stephen2121 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
I'm with you fellers.

SoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger Club
SoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger ClubSoggyBottomBoy 40K Burger Club
For a while, I thought the woman on the left was singing. That guy in the middle has some pipes. Sometimes it bothers me when someone tries to over-embellish the song. Yesterday, it didn't.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #4

Gugich22 is an unknown quantity at this point
i liked it...it was different and it's not like the song was un-recognizable...
Gugich22 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
I hate American Airlines

keepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Club
keepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Club
guess I'm into the traditional singing of the song.. and it wasn't like that yesterday, but we each have our own tastes and I hope I don't have to endure that from them again.

I agree the guy had a good voice, but to me some people take advantage of the stage to try to outshine the song and that's not what that song is all about.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Veteran Starter

BiloxiSaint1 is a BEAST!BiloxiSaint1 is a BEAST!BiloxiSaint1 is a BEAST!BiloxiSaint1 is a BEAST!BiloxiSaint1 is a BEAST!BiloxiSaint1 is a BEAST!BiloxiSaint1 is a BEAST!BiloxiSaint1 is a BEAST!BiloxiSaint1 is a BEAST!BiloxiSaint1 is a BEAST!BiloxiSaint1 is a BEAST!
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepoursaints View Post
I know I can't be the only one that was disgusted with the singing of the Anthem before the game yesterday. Sing the song like it's supposed to be sung or go write your own version........ my God that was a disgrace. I hope they are never invited to sing the Anthem again at any public place.

/just a change of pace thread and I searched and didn't find anything about this already.
This is the United States of America. Since when are we a country about singing the Star Spangled Banner a "certain way?" We are about freedom and liberty - not about dictating how a song should be sung. Eveyone else seemed to like the way it was sung. My wife thought the blue dress the chick was wearing was disgusting - but not the singing.
BiloxiSaint1 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
611, 19, 5-6

daybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Club
daybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Club
I enjoyed it. The only thing I didnt enjoy was the group of Baltimore fans who shouted "O" during "O say does that star spangled banner still wave", since thats what they do at Orioles (O's) games.
daybreaker is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
1958 - 1993

Waymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true Saint
Waymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true SaintWaymer is a true Saint
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_NKB5hLD_vI
Waymer is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
Hall-of-Famer

Wisdom Tooth is on a distinguished roadWisdom Tooth is on a distinguished roadWisdom Tooth is on a distinguished roadWisdom Tooth is on a distinguished road
I thought it was awesome and others around me said the same.
Wisdom Tooth is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #10
I hate American Airlines

I stand corrected that I may be in the minority, but I still didn't like it and neither did the people around me. Oh well no biggie. I'm just not into people doing their American Idol auditions during that one song... any others and I could care less.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #11
Saints Fan 4 Life

MNSaint is a splendid one to beholdMNSaint is a splendid one to beholdMNSaint is a splendid one to behold
MNSaint is a splendid one to behold
I thought it was really good. It was a little rough at first, I think they were having some monitor woes... The last 2/3 of it was excellent, imho
MNSaint is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #12
J57
Veteran

J57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I stand corrected that I may be in the minority, but I still didn't like it and neither did the people around me. Oh well no biggie. I'm just not into people doing their American Idol auditions during that one song... any others and I could care less.
For what it's worth, I agree totally with you. I hate it when people try to make the National Anthem "their own." Sure, we are about freedom. But with freedom comes repsonsibility, and citizens have a responsibility to respect our nation's traditions. One should show some respect when singing the Star Spangled Banner, not use the honor of getting to sing it in public to change it to suit their personal style.
J57 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #13
I hate American Airlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by J57 View Post
For what it's worth, I agree totally with you. I hate it when people try to make the National Anthem "their own." Sure, we are about freedom. But with freedom comes repsonsibility, and citizens have a responsibility to respect our nation's traditions. One should show some respect when singing the Star Spangled Banner, not use the honor of getting to sing it in public to change it to suit their personal style.
That's exactly what I was trying to say, but said so much better.

Thank you.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Location: Houston TX, via Parsippany, NJ and New Orleans (Algiers), LA
primadox 40K Burger Clubprimadox 40K Burger Clubprimadox 40K Burger Clubprimadox 40K Burger Clubprimadox 40K Burger Clubprimadox 40K Burger Club
primadox 40K Burger Clubprimadox 40K Burger Clubprimadox 40K Burger Clubprimadox 40K Burger Clubprimadox 40K Burger Clubprimadox 40K Burger Clubprimadox 40K Burger Clubprimadox 40K Burger Club
Quote:
I didn't hear it, but that's sort of how I feel....I've heard some "interpretations" of the NA that I really enjoyed, but there are times when some get too creative and turn it into 'vocal acrobatics', a la an AI audition. Plus, many like to sing along with the National Anthem, and if it's sung too "creatively", then it's impossible for those who like to show their patriotism by singing along. Overall I like it to be sung like it's written.

While we're on the subject, anyone know how someone auditions to sing the anthem at the games? I'd love for Drew to send a tape in...professional opera singer, got his start as an intern with New Orleans Opera....they'd go for that, I think? He'd have to wear a sr.com shirt while he's singing it, however!