New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Video Games Board

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 12-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #267
space monkey

antipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Member
antipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Member
i only play horde....i am teh suck at all other modes

Old 12-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #268
Hall-of-Famer

xpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to behold
xpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to beholdxpuma20x is a splendid one to behold
I believe I have responded to everyone that sent me a PM. If I missed you, let me know...I have a few more left.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #269

Dreg9582 will become famous soon enoughDreg9582 will become famous soon enoughDreg9582 will become famous soon enoughDreg9582 will become famous soon enoughDreg9582 will become famous soon enoughDreg9582 will become famous soon enoughDreg9582 will become famous soon enoughDreg9582 will become famous soon enoughDreg9582 will become famous soon enough
I'm joining this discussion late, considering I just beat the game a couple of days. It was an enjoyable game but damn was it dragged out. It would have been better had you developed new melee skills or alot more different weapons but that wasn't a strong point and the game was overly repetitive. By the time I beat it I said to myself "about damn time" instead of enjoying the victory.

Anyone else feels this way about Gears of War 2?
Dreg9582 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #270
space monkey

antipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Member
antipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreg9582 View Post
I'm joining this discussion late, considering I just beat the game a couple of days. It was an enjoyable game but damn was it dragged out. It would have been better had you developed new melee skills or alot more different weapons but that wasn't a strong point and the game was overly repetitive. By the time I beat it I said to myself "about damn time" instead of enjoying the victory.

not at all....i thought the game was too short

Old 12-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #271
Porkers?

The Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger Club
The Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreg9582 View Post

Sort of. My main problems with it were story lines/action sequences that seemed to be ripped off from other games. Also, the platform elements, where you had to try things a couple of times and fail to see how to beat it seemed like a step backwards to me.

***SPOILERS BELOW****

Don't know if the alert is necessary seeing as how long this game has been out, but it never hurts to be safe.

The last scene made everything worth while. The game got long towards the end, but that sequence when you were riding that huge whatever it was and blasting everything was some of the most fun I've had in gaming. It was the right time, and right place for total domination. So I didn't mind the dragging out -- when it pays off like that, what is there really to complain about?
The Mongoose is offline Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #272
space monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
Sort of. My main problems with it were story lines/action sequences that seemed to be ripped off from other games.
come on brah.....it's a sci-fi shooter about people vs. aliens/insects/whatever bent on world domination

not exactly 100% original to begin with

Old 12-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #273
Porkers?

The Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger Club
The Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
come on brah.....it's a sci-fi shooter about people vs. aliens/insects/whatever bent on world domination

not exactly 100% original to begin with
True dat. But that scene where you're driving on the ice and the ice is falling away -- I've played that before (Halo 3).

That scene where you're running around that guy's laboratory and he's speaking with you over the monitors? I've played that scene before (Bioshock).

The part about certain aliens/bugs/whatever being infected and fighting the other aliens/bugs/whatever while you go about your business? That's a main storyline from Halo.

There's more, I just can't remember it because I've played three games since then. I understand that not everything is going to be original. But Gears gets a lot of hype. This isn't just any game -- this is the game people are blowing, saying it's the best, etc. A game trying to get that much respect can't afford to be a ripoff.

And these things aren't just similar; they are almost dead on ripoffs.

If I were a game developer who created one of these other scenes, and I was playing Gears, I'd be pretty ****** about all the pub and adoration.

But I'm just a simple forest creature, so ultimately I don't care. That game was fun and it looked great. Plus, like I said, the last sequence was one of the best payoffs I've ever enjoyed in gaming.

I ain't ready to crown Cliffy B as the best thing ever though. His stories ain't that deep and he seems to take the best stuff out of the best games and lump them into one game. It's fun, but it doesn't win originality points.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #274
It figures

Sackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to behold
Sackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Sort of. My main problems with it were story lines/action sequences that seemed to be ripped off from other games. Also, the platform elements, where you had to try things a couple of times and fail to see how to beat it seemed like a step backwards to me.

***SPOILERS BELOW****

Don't know if the alert is necessary seeing as how long this game has been out, but it never hurts to be safe.

The last scene made everything worth while. The game got long towards the end, but that sequence when you were riding that huge whatever it was and blasting everything was some of the most fun I've had in gaming. It was the right time, and right place for total domination. So I didn't mind the dragging out -- when it pays off like that, what is there really to complain about?
Riding in that Bromack made me insanely happy.

Agreed.
Sackhappysaint is offline Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #275
It figures

Sackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to behold
Sackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to beholdSackhappysaint is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
i only play horde....i am teh suck at all other modes
I need to start playing that mode.

I play so many different games that I don't sit around trying to master that one game in multiplayer so in turn, straight up multiplayer fps is not as much fun for me going against some guy who plays that one game 7 hours a day when I'm just a nub.
Sackhappysaint is offline Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #276
space monkey

Quote:
True dat. But that scene where you're driving on the ice and the ice is falling away -- I've played that before (Halo 3).

That scene where you're running around that guy's laboratory and he's speaking with you over the monitors? I've played that scene before (Bioshock).

The part about certain aliens/bugs/whatever being infected and fighting the other aliens/bugs/whatever while you go about your business? That's a main storyline from Halo.
lolzor....are you saying those games were the first to use things like that???

Old 12-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #277
Porkers?

Quote:
lolzor....are you saying those games were the first to use things like that???
I'm saying there is a scene at the end of Halo 3 where you are driving a warthog and the floor of the building you are on is falling away in pieces as you try to traverse it, exactly like those ice scenes in Gears. It's almost identical.

I'm saying that the Bioshock chapter, while not as exact a ripoff as above, was a total ripoff. It's like Cliffy B played Bioshock and said, I need to create this feel in Gears 2. There was no mistaking it -- that scene doesn't feel like the rest of Gears2. It's a little piece of Bioshock mixed in for your gaming pleasure.

And the deal with some of the bugs getting cranked on immulsion and being at war with the other bugs, unknown to the humans until late in the contest? That's a major driver of the story in Gears. It's a big piece. It is also a huge plot driver in Halo, where the aliens are fighting The Flood (who are analogous to the immulsified bugs). It's also a huge part of the story in Halo 2, when the humans find out that the Covenant is infighting amongst themselves, unbeknownst to humans for the longest time.

These things are just waaay to close to be coincidence. Cliffy B is a ripoff artist, in my book. But he made a fun, great looking game, so ultimately who cares? He just doesn't get bonus points for originality.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #278
space monkey

floors falling from beneath you have been around since mario bros.....pretty standard video game fare

the guy talking to you over the PA system was done in manhunt for ps2 years ago...bioshock is not the first one

i'll give you the other stuff, mainly because i haven't seen it in any other games, but i bet you could find something like that

Old 12-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #279
Porkers?

Quote:
floors falling from beneath you have been around since mario bros.....pretty standard video game fare
Did you play the scene I'm talking about in Halo 3? It's nearly identical. I'm almost willing to bet my best marble that you didn't play the Halo scene.

Quote:
the guy talking to you over the PA system was done in manhunt for ps2 years ago...bioshock is not the first one
Sure. But this gears scene felt like it was trying to be like bioshock. Eerily similar. I realized it 3/4 of the way through the level. I said, "hey, this feels just like Bioshock!"

Quote:
i'll give you the other stuff, mainly because i haven't seen it in any other games, but i bet you could find something like that
I didn't even talk about how the broad speaking to you over the commlink or whatever has the same relationship with Marcus as Cortana had with Master Chief, or how the inflection in her voice was nearly identical.

I'm sure if I searched I could find some consensus about this on the intarwebs. But I don't care all that much to do so, because Gears, ripoff or not, was time well spent.

The only people who should be miffed are those who actually created the ripped off content.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #280
DAMN YOU PARTY LIQUOR!

authentic is an Sr.com Hall of Famerauthentic is an Sr.com Hall of Famerauthentic is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
authentic is an Sr.com Hall of Famerauthentic is an Sr.com Hall of Famerauthentic is an Sr.com Hall of Famerauthentic is an Sr.com Hall of Famerauthentic is an Sr.com Hall of Famerauthentic is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
infighting and civil war are both points in plenty of games storylines. nothing is original anymore. and as far as the one part of one chapter that lasted maybe 3 minutes about driving over ice, i didnt feel halo 3 at any point of it. it was an afterthough, an obstacle to get from point a to point b. unlike in halo in which that scene was basically the last hurrah, and it was annoying lol. you can pull those sorts of things out of mid air all day long with any game, the similarities are "in a vehicle" "potential to fall through the level" not really that much in common when you think about it...
authentic is offline Reply With Quote