Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Old 06-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
Doobsdemons
No White Flags

Doobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Doobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Folgers/Smuckers merge

http://www.smucker.com/fc/investor/default.asp?

Smuckers aquires Folgers today. We just found out this morning (I work for Folgers) and heard it on a webcast.

Doobs
Doobsdemons is offline Reply With Quote

Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Thorin
Idle

Thorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to behold
Thorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to beholdThorin is a splendid one to behold
Mmm, coffee flavored jelly.

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Mr. Blue Sky
Still P***ed at Yoko

Mr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club Member
Mr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
Mmm, coffee flavored jelly.

my first thought was jelly-flavored coffee.
Mr. Blue Sky is offline Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
CT Saints Fan
More than 15K posts served!

Location: Texas - via Metairie, Houston, Virginia, & Connecticut
CT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
CT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
I sure hope they name it Smolgers.

Seriously, I hope that it works out for you.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Doobsdemons
No White Flags

Doobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Doobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of FamerDoobsdemons is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Saints Fan View Post

Well see if it does.

Smolgers? Better than Folkers?

Doobs
Doobsdemons is offline Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
CT Saints Fan

CT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
CT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCT Saints Fan is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobsdemons View Post
Well see if it does.

Smolgers? Better than Folkers?
Oh, yeah, "Folkers," I guess that's a choice too. Whew!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
SoggyBottomBoy
I'm with you fellers.

SoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club Member
SoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:

Well played. I actually that it was a joke thread. The punch line was too easy.

The league picks a preferred result and works backward to justify it. - Drew Brees
SoggyBottomBoy is offline Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
rstrauss33
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

rstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
rstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
I don't really get why a Jelly company is going after a coffee company. Good luck with the merge.
rstrauss33 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
CT Saints Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrauss33 View Post
I don't really get why a Jelly company is going after a coffee company. Good luck with the merge.
Because the people who buy jelly are the same people who buy coffee. And they buy it at the same places. So there are very significant synergies in selling 2 different items to the same buyers through the same distribution channels.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
rstrauss33
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

rstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
rstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerrstrauss33 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Because the people who buy jelly are the same people who buy coffee. And they buy it at the same places. So there are very significant synergies in selling 2 different items to the same buyers through the same distribution channels.
I just don't see any cost savings there. Reminds me (to a lesser degree) of Blockbuster going after Circuit city. Sure there are some sililarities but I doubt there are enough to justify the move.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
superchuck500
in the upside-down

superchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Member
superchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Diamond Club Member

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Community Service Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I just don't see any cost savings there. Reminds me (to a lesser degree) of Blockbuster going after Circuit city. Sure there are some sililarities but I doubt there are enough to justify the move.
You don't necessarily have to increase economies of scale to make an acquisition. They simply may have reviewed the company's financials, evaluated the market, and found it attractive for whatever reason. Maybe they saw inefficiencies in the management or structuring - and believe they can make improvements. It may not really matter that the products aren' that similar.
superchuck500 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #12
rstrauss33
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchuck500 View Post
You don't necessarily have to increase economies of scale to make an acquisition. They simply may have reviewed the company's financials, evaluated the market, and found it attractive for whatever reason. Maybe they saw inefficiencies in the management or structuring - and believe they can make improvements. It may not really matter that the products aren' that similar.
I'm sure that's what they saw and usually it's called "diworsification." Unless you're a holding company like say Berkshire Hathaway that's really equipped for this sort of thing it's usually a very bad move. I doubt they're equipped to provide superior management. Most likely they had extra cash and saw something they thought was interesting. Great for upper management (entrenchment) but not so great for shareholders.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
superchuck500
in the upside-down

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Community Service Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I'm sure that's what they saw and usually it's called "diworsification." Unless you're a holding company like say Berkshire Hathaway that's really equipped for this sort of thing it's usually a very bad move. I doubt they're equipped to provide superior management. Most likely they had extra cash and saw something they thought was interesting. Great for upper management (entrenchment) but not so great for shareholders.
Fair enough. But it isn't like coffee and jelly are as different as health insurance and skateboards.

I guess only time will tell. I think I had stock in Smuckers a long time ago. Grandmother bought it for me. Long since sold it.
superchuck500 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #14
rstrauss33
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchuck500 View Post
Fair enough. But it isn't like coffee and jelly are as different as health insurance and skateboards.

I guess only time will tell. I think I had stock in Smuckers a long time ago. Grandmother bought it for me. Long since sold it.
True enough. Smuckers is up a bit today so the market atleast seems to think it's an ok move. I'll admit I'm not up to speed on Smucker or Folgers as corporations so I was talking very generally.

It's just funny that companies like Cambell's soup owns Godiva.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #15
CT Saints Fan

Quote:
It's just funny that companies like Cambell's soup owns Godiva.
Nothing funny about it at all. Same reasons as I said before. The same buyers so you already know how what and why they buy, and you know where they buy, and you can sell more stuff to the same buyers with very little extra effort. That leads to greater efficiencies, and greater revenue, and greater profits.