Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Old 03-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #181
Dragon
Official SR Twitter Team

Dragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club Member
Dragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEverett View Post
Here is the text of the Florida statute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Statute 776.013(3)
 A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
Originally Posted by Florida Statute 776.013(3)
A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Since Zimmerman is undoubtedly the agressor I would think that statute fits the victim far better than the shooter...

You want to guess how quickly the police had filed charges had the roles been switched and Zimmerman were dead after a fist fight ???

.....Still believing
Dragon is offline Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #182
lades
Hall-of-Famer

lades Prestigious Gold Club Memberlades Prestigious Gold Club Memberlades Prestigious Gold Club Memberlades Prestigious Gold Club Memberlades Prestigious Gold Club Memberlades Prestigious Gold Club Member
lades Prestigious Gold Club Memberlades Prestigious Gold Club Memberlades Prestigious Gold Club Memberlades Prestigious Gold Club Memberlades Prestigious Gold Club Memberlades Prestigious Gold Club Memberlades Prestigious Gold Club Memberlades Prestigious Gold Club Memberlades Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
I was reminded of this story Saturday. I was in my yard cutting grass when a pickup truck stopped. A huge biker looking guy jumped out screaming and raising holy hell that I threw a rock and cracked his windshield. He had a pair of handcuffs hanging from the rear view mirror which worried me. The guy was on my property and he was irate. My wife was gardening in the yard. I never once thought about reaching In my pocket and I wouldn't have as long as he didn't approach her or pull a weapon. I apologized even though I had my mower facing the other direction and I'm not sure I even threw a rock. Part of the reason I apologized is because of that mag in my pocket. I would have offered to buy him buy him a new glass if he would have calmed down and let me. I already was thinking we might hook it up in the middle of my yard but my gun is staying right in my pocket unless it's life or death. Thats a real world scenerio of what you do when you carry a hand gun and I lived it Saturday. It would not have been self defence just because the dude was scarry, and yelling and on my property. That's no reason to kill the dude. I gaurenteed you Zimmerman would have taken him out.
You mow your lawn with a gun in your pocket? That's ridiculous.
lades is offline Reply With Quote

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 03-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #183
APSaintsFan
All-Pro

APSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to behold
APSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to beholdAPSaintsFan is a splendid one to behold
I just do not know what to say about this episode. Common Sense, would think that when The Police tell you to back down, we got this? Why are you still going forward? And Zimmerman calling 911 46 times about suspicious activity in 2011 alone? You have to believe the Police Department had you down for calling all the time. I mean 1 call every 8 or 9 days on average. And they knew he was a loaded weapon in the first place, because of the 2005 arrest and then charges dropped at that time. Wow!! And SAD!

Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 03-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #184
Dre
More than 15K posts served!

Dre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true Saint
Dre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true Saint
I am curious to see Zimmerman's side. I mean, the police haven't arrested him. Everything so far seems like he is fully guilty, but even with OJ we at least got to hear his lies first. I do find the coverage of this rather interesting... MSNBC gave a news story that was titled, "Did Trayvon Martin have to die?" that is an odd title for a news piece.

I want to be clear, I am NOT supporting Zimmerman by any means. I almost vomited when I heard the recordings of the poor kid screaming for help before he was shot. But maybe we should hear something (ANYTHING) from Zimmerman or even the police before we string the guy up.
Dre is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #185
JimEverett

JimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club Member
JimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Since Zimmerman is undoubtedly the agressor I would think that statute fits the victim far better than the shooter...

You want to guess how quickly the police had filed charges had the roles been switched and Zimmerman were dead after a fist fight ???
The statute says nothing about who is or is not the aggressor.

I am just trying to make sense as to why Zimmerman has not been arrested.
There were no eyewitnesses, right?
Tehre was someone on the phone with the victim right before this happened, and some neighbors heard some screaming.
I am just supposing, but - If Zimmerman told the police that he got out of his car, confronted the teen and the teen then pushed him and Zimmerman fell down. Then Zimmerman grabbed the teen and felt a fear for his life and shot - then it seems, arguably, justifiable under the Florida statute.
“We must realize that today’s Establishment is the new George III. Whether it will continue to adhere to his tactics, we do not know. If it does, the redress, honored in tradition, is also revolution." Justice William O. Douglas
JimEverett is online now Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 03-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #186
jasonj
All-Pro

jasonj is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
jasonj is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjasonj is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw View Post
While I do agree with your post, I do have a question.

So you feel the need pack heat while you are cutting the grass in your own yard? Jeez. I wonder what kind of arsenal and/or convoy you bring with you if you ever have to run an errand in the bad part of town.
I was going to ask the same thing. What the hell, man?
jasonj is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #187
Dragon
Official SR Twitter Team

Dragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club MemberDragon Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre View Post
I am curious to see Zimmerman's side. I mean, the police haven't arrested him. Everything so far seems like he is fully guilty, but even with OJ we at least got to hear his lies first. I do find the coverage of this rather interesting... MSNBC gave a news story that was titled, "Did Trayvon Martin have to die?" that is an odd title for a news piece.

I want to be clear, I am NOT supporting Zimmerman by any means. I almost vomited when I heard the recordings of the poor kid screaming for help before he was shot. But maybe we should hear something (ANYTHING) from Zimmerman or even the police before we string the guy up.

Several news organisations (CNN, ABC, Time) have given him a chance to tell his side of the story but so far he is hiding out letting his father do the talking - and even the father doesn't say he is innocent - just that he isn't a racist. The shooter hasn't even given a public statement through a laywer or familymember.

I think he tries to play it smart by staying silent. Almost any statements he can make at this time could come back to hurt him if refuted by witnesses.

.....Still believing

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 03-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #188
Dre

Dre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true Saint
Dre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true SaintDre is a true Saint
Quote:

Tehre was someone on the phone with the victim right before this happened, and some neighbors heard some screaming.
I am just supposing, but - If Zimmerman told the police that he got out of his car, confronted the teen and the teen then pushed him and Zimmerman fell down. Then Zimmerman grabbed the teen and felt a fear for his life and shot - then it seems, arguably, justifiable under the Florida statute.
The statute does say one can "stand ground" and "meet force with force" if they reasonably believed it necessary. Based on the info out there, all we know is that he was following (though still technically possibly standing his ground). But a skinny kid's force doesn't seem like it merits a gun, and I'm surprised the police bought his supposed excuse that he "reasonably" believed it necessary.
Dre is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #189
Dragon
Official SR Twitter Team

Quote:

The statute does say "Is attacked". Zimmerman wasn't attacked. If you start a skirmish you can't excuse yourself with being attacked ! The boy wasn't the one looking for a confrontation- Zimmerman was...

.....Still believing

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #190
Det. Brees
E tan e epi tas

Det. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true Saint
Det. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
The statute does say "Is attacked". Zimmerman wasn't attacked. If you start a skirmish you can't excuse yourself with being attacked ! The boy wasn't the one looking for a confrontation- Zimmerman was...
I agree , the law states the person must not be engaged in unlawfull activity.
Det. Brees is online now Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #191
JimEverett

JimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club Member
JimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Brees View Post
I agree , the law states the person must not be engaged in unlawfull activity.
And what evidence says that Zimmerman was engaged in unlawful activity?

No eyewitness - correct?

That was the point of my supposition about what Zimmerman might have told the cops.
“We must realize that today’s Establishment is the new George III. Whether it will continue to adhere to his tactics, we do not know. If it does, the redress, honored in tradition, is also revolution." Justice William O. Douglas

Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #192
Cosmic201
Hall-of-Famer

Cosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true Saint
Cosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true Saint
Quote:

No eyewitness - correct?

That was the point of my supposition about what Zimmerman might have told the cops.
Stalking and then trying to detain an innocent person is not legal.
Cosmic201 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #193
Det. Brees
E tan e epi tas

Det. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true Saint
Det. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true SaintDet. Brees is a true Saint
Quote:

No eyewitness - correct?

I didnt clearly state my point. I'm only saying that the law says you must not be engaged in any unlawful act. You are correct, so far no evidence has been presented that the shooter was committing a crime prior to the shooting.
Det. Brees is online now Reply With Quote

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #194
JimEverett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic201 View Post
Stalking and then trying to detain an innocent person is not legal.
I don't think stalking is going to pass muster.
Had Zimmerman ever approached this guy before? If so, maybe. If not, no way is there stalking.

What evidence is there that Zimmerman detained the teen?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 03-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #195
Dragon
Official SR Twitter Team

Quote:
I don't think stalking is going to pass muster.
Had Zimmerman ever approached this guy before? If so, maybe. If not, no way is there stalking.

What evidence is there that Zimmerman detained the teen?
Only circumstantial but it does show a certain pattern which could substantiate such a claim

The girl who were talking to the victim told that the boy told her that "A man was following him"

She also hear a mans voice demanding to know what the teen was doing there...

Then there is Zimmerman's own declaration to the police on the phone which shows his intentions

From the police tapes:

Quote:
"These *ssholes, they always get away," he adds before he can be heard getting out of his car to pursue Martin on foot.
When he confirms to police he was following the teen, the dispatcher tells him, "We don't need you to do that."
Finally there are several witnesses who has come forward saying they heard to boy call for help BEFORE the shot. The voice is also on the tape which is currently being analyzed. If the experts proves that it is the boy then Zimmerman has no legitimate claim to self defense.

.....Still believing

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No