Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Collegiate Sports Board

Old 08-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #136
st dude
The dotless one

st dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Member
st dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Member
This is semantical debate. The networks and sponsors of these high school games spend a lot of money on the games. There are great perks for the kids. They get travel paid to a cool place they have never been, meals, events and all kinds of cool gear for free.

The Under Armor game is one of the biggest. They want people to watch the game, as does the network, because it is all about advertising. The more people who watch the games, the more UA can promote their brand and the more the network can charge for advertising.

A large part of what drives ratings is the announcements. People tune in to see where a kid goes. I do not know that any recruits are contractually bound to announce at the games, but my guess is they are asked to do that as part of their invite. I would not be surprised to learn that players who commit to announce at the game are allowed to bring family to the game at the sponsor's cost as part of the incentive.

While it can be frustrating and nail biting for the fans, I see no problem with it. The kids are not hurt. The real pressure comes from the schools. Only the very top players can safely play the wait and commit game if they want to go to a top school. LSU will always have a spot for Leonard Fournette. The same might not be true for Sione Palelei. A kids like Palelei might enjoy playing the game and building his hype by delaying his announcement, but that might cost him his spot at LSU. LSU was looking at many other running backs to complement Fournette in this class.

The last year many folks complained that Miles does not close well in recruiting, meaning LSU while teams like Ole Miss were finishing with a flourish, LSU was not.

That is because LSU usually fills up early and LSU was simply not a big player for most of the top undecided kids.

This year some LSU fans are complaining and/or anxious about how low we are in the rankings. The reason for that is 90% of the kids remaining on LSU's board are top ten and top 100 players who are good enough they know LSU will hold their spot. LSU will always have room for Clifton Garret, Malichi Dupre, Fournette, Robinson, Noil, Tony Brown, Gerald Willis and a few others.

Fans who want a big finish this year will get their wish. Nail biting until their announcements is part of the game these days.

Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #137
RockyMtnSaint
Gonzo Moderator

RockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club Member
RockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club Member
VV, I'm sorry that you misinterpreted my words. Let me try to be more clear.

In my opinion, ESPN has no right to insert itself into the recruiting process for the benefit of its own ratings.

Now...

Phrases like "Can't you read?" and "What world do you live in?" are rude and disrespectful. We don't treat each other that way around here. So if you want this conversation to continue, you'll modify your tone to be more civil. If you can't do that then we're done and you can go troll somebody else.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #138
st dude
The dotless one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnSaint View Post

In my opinion, ESPN has no right to insert itself into the recruiting process for the benefit of its own ratings.

Now...

Phrases like "Can't you read?" and "What world do you live in?" are rude and disrespectful. We don't treat each other that way around here. So if you want this conversation to continue, you'll modify your tone to be more civil. If you can't do that then we're done and you can go troll somebody else.
I agree wholehaertedly with the last paragraph in this post. And even if you had said ESPN forces the recruits to do something, which you did not say, I would kind of agreed with that as per my post above.

The networks and sponsors do encourage the kids to anounce on tv to boost ratings.

I dont see anything wrong with that. The kids enjoy the attention and hype. Some kids troll the process but they will do that anyway.

The commitments, even when done on tv, are not binding. My guess is for the programs involved 90% of the time the schools know who the kid will pick and are probably silent commits. I think LSU has a lot of silent commits right now, in various degrees.

The all star games are great fun for these kids and are expensive to put on. Without the tv ratings there would be no sponsors; without the sponsors there would be no games.

Most of the kids who announce late on tv are star players who want to play in the NFL. The hype helps them get recognized and recognition can help their eventual draft status. I think the kids get something out of this deal too so for the most part I dont see the problem with espn wanting top players to announce live to boost ratings.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #139
RockyMtnSaint
Gonzo Moderator

RockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club Member
RockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club Member
Maybe no harm is done. Certainly no harm is done to the kids. As you say, they enjoy the attention and I'm all for letting them have fun with the process as I said earlier. I'm concerned that it may adversely impact the programs. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't but I think the potential is there. I just feel that recruiting is between the school and the recruit and ESPN has no business in the middle of it.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #140
VVextreme
Super Forum Fanatic

VVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to behold
VVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnSaint View Post

Now...

Why don't they have a right? All they are doing is giving the kid a choice and it's up to the kid to accept or decline it. More often than not, the kid chooses to do it because it benefits them the most. The kid benefits, the network benefits and the program benefits. All programs are impacted equally that are cactually ompeting for these rare, but few athletes... They also benefit by increasing the exposure of their recruits, connecting with their fanbase and getting their recruits some early practice time against other elite kids while receiving free coaching. They also get their program's name out there as being associated with elite recruits, so it's also free marketing for them as well.

Not to mention, the longer a requit waits to commit... the less time he has to decommit. That's when things just get plain nasty.

The only problem I can see with the entire process is that ESPN is making millions off of these stunts while the recruit is getting very little in return, but the kid is the actual product.

I think you're forgetting that college football is an entertainment business. Connecting with their fanbase and increasing your namebrand individually also is what builds programs. As long as the kids are enjoying the process, then I think it's a great experience for them.

Recruit = wins
Program = wins
TV Network = wins
Fans = wins

Hey, the only pass I ever got to see Shepherd throw on tv was at the armour-all game... who woulda guessed that? You also get to see these kids for the first time and see how the measure up at the next level. It gets you very excited for the future of your program if you have a couple of these kids coming to your school. Shoot, even one kid.

And no, I did not misinterpret your words. I interpreted them correctly as they are defined.

Let - Verb
Not prevent or forbid; allow: "my boss let me leave early".

https://www.google.com/#output=searc...w=1024&bih=640

A sarcastic tone was used by both parties, not just me. However I will agree to your call for peace. I think we agree for the most part with a few small differences.
VVextreme is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #141
saintstigers3
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

saintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
saintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Looks like Chris Hardeman decommitted from LSU today. Looks like it was a mutual decision from both the coaches and him. It was announced on his twitter.

Was also announced that he would probably visit Oklahoma and Oklahoma St next weekend.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #142
MLU
NSD Legend

MLU has disabled reputation
Chris hardeman ‏@Chris_Hardeman1 2h
I would like to Thank all the LSU fans!! Coach Mac, coach Raymond and chief for believing in me!!

Chris hardeman ‏@Chris_Hardeman1
But at this time I've decided to decommit from Louisiana state university..

Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #143
weightlifter316
Kevin Gates 4 President

weightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
weightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Best of luck to Hardeman
weightlifter316 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #144
VVextreme
Super Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstigers3 View Post
Looks like Chris Hardeman decommitted from LSU today. Looks like it was a mutual decision from both the coaches and him. It was announced on his twitter.

Was also announced that he would probably visit Oklahoma and Oklahoma St next weekend.
So was he any good? Who are we going to replace him with that's better? Position?

Good luck to the guy I guess. Hate seeing this kind of thing happen, but hopefully it has a happy ending for both parties involved.
VVextreme is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 03:47 AM   #145
saintstigers3
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

saintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
saintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaintstigers3 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVextreme View Post
So was he any good? Who are we going to replace him with that's better? Position?

Good luck to the guy I guess. Hate seeing this kind of thing happen, but hopefully it has a happy ending for both parties involved.
IMO, Jermaine Roberts from St. Augustine and Terrance Alexander from John Curtis are better than him.

I think Hardeman spot will be given to Santos Ramirez from Evangel now.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #146
MLU
NSD Legend

MLU has disabled reputation
Quote:
I think Hardeman spot will be given to Santos Ramirez from Evangel now.
I don't have any inside sources, but this makes sense. Hardeman is a pure speed guy. There are not many faster, but he's small and I guess the coaches didn't feel he was going to add weight. He's about 5-9, 160.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 08-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #147
saintstigers3
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

Lake Charles(Barbe) Wide Receiver Trey Quinn has committed to LSU via 247 and ESPN

Old 08-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #148
st dude
The dotless one

Quote:
Lake Charles(Barbe) Wide Receiver Trey Quinn has committed to LSU via 247 and ESPN
Yes this was expected but still a big deal. Quinn is a complete receiver. Decent size, excellent speed, great route runner and great hands. Quinn is a very polished receiver who will have a chance to play right away.

Quinn is one of a dozen blue chip players expected to committ to the tigers. People were still saying Clemson was in the mix so this is a big deal.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #149
blountforce
Very Banned

blountforce Prestigious Gold Club Memberblountforce Prestigious Gold Club Memberblountforce Prestigious Gold Club Memberblountforce Prestigious Gold Club Member
blountforce Prestigious Gold Club Memberblountforce Prestigious Gold Club Memberblountforce Prestigious Gold Club Memberblountforce Prestigious Gold Club Memberblountforce Prestigious Gold Club Memberblountforce Prestigious Gold Club Memberblountforce Prestigious Gold Club Memberblountforce Prestigious Gold Club Memberblountforce Prestigious Gold Club Memberblountforce Prestigious Gold Club Memberblountforce Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by st dude View Post
People were still saying Clemson was in the mix so this is a big deal.
They were very much in the mix up until the very end. TQ loved the school and the atmosphere there, but I think a lot of home cookin' and having big sis around on campus may have swung the final commit to LSU.
blountforce is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #150
weightlifter316
Kevin Gates 4 President

weightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
weightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerweightlifter316 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Cam Robinson is announcing friday between Bama and LSU. My gut tells me Bama but my head tells me that it will be LSU. Usually my instincts are correct and if they are, he's Bama bound. We'll see.
weightlifter316 is offline Reply With Quote