Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Collegiate Sports Board

Old 07-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #121
RockyMtnSaint
Gonzo Moderator

RockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club Member
RockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by st dude View Post
Santos Ramirez commits to LSU. Ramirez is one of those guys that was completely under the radar for most recruiting services and earned his offer based upon his performance at the LSU camp.

Ramirez is a 6' 2" 170 lb corner who evidently impressed the coaches with his physical play. Most corners are 6' or smaller and there is a premium on the taller kids who have the hips and agility to play corner.

With so very few spots available and so many highly touted players still favoring LSU, Ramirez getting an offer at camp was a big surprize to a lot of people. It was no surprize he accepted.
The only surprise was that it took him as long as it did.

Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #122
bclemms
More than 15K posts served!

bclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Member
bclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Diamond Club Member

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Community Service Award 
Total Awards: 1

This kid plays super aggressive for his style. He hits the hole too fast and will need to learn to let his blocks set up at the college level. At the high school level the backers aren't fast enough to adjust to him ripping through the hole but in college it will be a lot of short or no gains. Other than that, he has amazing agility, balance and vision with a surprise amount of power.

He is faster and more agile than Dominick Davis was coming out of high school but runs with the same type of attitude.
bclemms is offline Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #123
st dude
The dotless one

st dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Member
st dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Defensive end Davon Godchaux moved up his announcement to August 26 from his December announcement date. Godchaux is in Rivals top 250.

He says he wants to get it over before season starts. That might be true. I think more likely he sees how few spots LSU has left and doesn't want to risk losing his spot.

Godchaux has a few dozen offers including Texas, Alabama, Florida and USC. Come August he will be part of best class in LSU history.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #124
st dude
The dotless one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnSaint View Post
The only surprise was that it took him as long as it did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by st dude View Post
Defensive end Davon Godchaux moved up his announcement to August 26 from his December announcement date. Godchaux is in Rivals top 250.

He says he wants to get it over before season starts. That might be true. I think more likely he sees how few spots LSU has left and doesn't want to risk losing his spot.

Godchaux has a few dozen offers including Texas, Alabama, Florida and USC. Come August he will be part of best class in LSU history.
It looks like reports of Ramirez commit were premature. It sounds like LSU has given him some sort of conditional offer and they want to see him actually play this year before accepting his commitment. This is not as surprising as it was that they offered him in the first place. Not that Ramirez might not be a great get, but who do you not take left on your list if you take him? Sounds like a greyshirt in the works depending on who commits later.

Godchaux moved his announcement date back to December. Some kids handle the recrutiment thing well, others do not. Godchaux can commit whenever he wants, but guys who change their commit days back and forth create little red flags that can follow them around if they are not careful. The little flags can grow into bigger flags, see Dee Liner story. Certainly Godchaux has done nothing wrong and kids will change their minds. Its just that the kids who make their commitment quietly and stick to it on average seem to be the kids that turn out to be more reliable in all that they do.

Verbal commits are not binding in any event. I think Godchaux is an LSU commit for all intents and purposes but knows once he commits the recruiting services stop writing stories about him.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #125
RockyMtnSaint
Gonzo Moderator

RockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club Member
RockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club MemberRockyMtnSaint Prestigious Gold Club Member
That makes sense st dude. I believe Godchaux is a silent commit at this point and I believe that a few of our other prospects are silents as well, including Fournette. I also think that ESPN is trying to get recruits to delay their commitment until the UA game. That kinda chaps my hide a little. I don't mind recruits playing the game to get treated like a movie star by some of these universities. It's the only time in their lives that they'll get to enjoy this process so let them enjoy it. But it's BS for a network to insert themselves into the recruiting process just so they can boost their own ratings. If a kid is done with the process and just wants to commit to somebody, let him do it.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #126
MLU
NSD Legend

MLU has disabled reputation
I don't think that ESPN has to try very hard. For the most part, these kids love having people make a fuss over them. Of the big names out there leaning to LSU, Cameron Robinson is the one that worries me the most if at all.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #127
st dude
The dotless one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLU View Post
I don't think that ESPN has to try very hard. For the most part, these kids love having people make a fuss over them. Of the big names out there leaning to LSU, Cameron Robinson is the one that worries me the most if at all.
I actually worry more about the out of state guys like Tony Brown, Clifton Garrett and Blacknall, even though they are all reported as heavy leans to LSU.

Among the in state guys Robinson is the one many think is a lean to Alabama. I do not doubt he is giving Alabama serious consideration.

Although much is made of Landon Collins choosing Bama, the fact is LSU wins 95% of its head up matchups with Alabama for top La talent. Alabama and LSU both offer a big stage to play on. Both programs send kids to the pros in bunches. Bama has the edge on competing for national titles right now, but LSU offers that chance too.

The one thing Alabama cannot offer Robinson is playing eight times a year in Tiger stadium, the best atmosphere in college football, in front of family and friends. Momma wants her boy to play near home. Momma doesnt always win out, but I would not bet against her.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #128
RockyMtnSaint
Gonzo Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLU View Post
I don't think that ESPN has to try very hard. For the most part, these kids love having people make a fuss over them.
Yeah, no question about that. It bothers me that ESPN tries at all though. It shouldn't be any of their business when a player commits. It's a matter between the player and the school.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #129
VVextreme
Super Forum Fanatic

VVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to behold
VVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
That makes sense st dude. I believe Godchaux is a silent commit at this point and I believe that a few of our other prospects are silents as well, including Fournette. I also think that ESPN is trying to get recruits to delay their commitment until the UA game. That kinda chaps my hide a little. I don't mind recruits playing the game to get treated like a movie star by some of these universities. It's the only time in their lives that they'll get to enjoy this process so let them enjoy it. But it's BS for a network to insert themselves into the recruiting process just so they can boost their own ratings. If a kid is done with the process and just wants to commit to somebody, let him do it.
Are you kidding? ESPN can't force a kid to wait to announce if they don't wanna wait... they aren't paying them. these are 5 star type players, you think there's a chance in hades they are going to lose their schollie offer just because they didn't announce on ESPN during an all-star game?

No this happens because the recruit benefits from the national exposure and building his name brand by waiting and building suspense... no one is forcing these kids to do anything they don't wanna do.
VVextreme is offline Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #130
VVextreme
Super Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah, no question about that. It bothers me that ESPN tries at all though. It shouldn't be any of their business when a player commits. It's a matter between the player and the school.
Uh, what world are you living in? ESPN, college football and ethics divorced a looooong time ago. Probably about the time that they actually started generating a profit.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #131
RockyMtnSaint
Gonzo Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVextreme View Post
Uh, what world are you living in? ESPN, college football and ethics divorced a looooong time ago. Probably about the time that they actually started generating a profit.
Are you saying I shouldn't be upset about that?

Old 08-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #132
RockyMtnSaint
Gonzo Moderator

Quote:
Are you kidding? ESPN can't force a kid to wait to announce if they don't wanna wait... they aren't paying them. these are 5 star type players, you think there's a chance in hades they are going to lose their schollie offer just because they didn't announce on ESPN during an all-star game?

No this happens because the recruit benefits from the national exposure and building his name brand by waiting and building suspense... no one is forcing these kids to do anything they don't wanna do.
Can you quote where I said they were forcing the kids to delay committing?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #133
VVextreme
Super Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Quote:
But it's BS for a network to insert themselves into the recruiting process just so they can boost their own ratings. If a kid is done with the process and just wants to commit to somebody, let him do it.
If a recruit wants to commit to somebody, ESPN does not have the power to stop him. Therefore the recruit's decision to wait is strictly voluntary and they do it because they feel it's the best decision for them.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #134
RockyMtnSaint
Gonzo Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
If a recruit wants to commit to somebody, ESPN does not have the power to stop him. Therefore the recruit's decision to wait is strictly voluntary and they do it because they feel it's the best decision for them.
Yeah, I didn't think so.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #135
VVextreme
Super Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't think so.
Uh, can't you read? I quoted you, but you left off that part...

You said if a recruit wants to commit, then the network should LET him do it as if the network even has the power from stopping him. They don't have the power to prevent a kid from doing what he wants to do. They can only offer him opportunities and then it's completely up to the kid (and his family) what he decides to do with that opportunity.

Last I checked... giving a kid options isn't necessarily a bad thing. He still maintains all of his freedom of choice to do whatever he wants. That's the way America is supposed to work. ESPN is not preventing anything, they are only offering options.