Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Political Discussion Board

Old 07-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
Domefan504
SR is my life!

Domefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Domefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDomefan504 Prestigious Platinum Club Member
North Korea claims it tested a ICBM

NK claims it tested a ICBM . More info

North Korea Says It's Tested an ICBM. Here's Why That's a Big Deal

Quote:
Why is it a big deal?

Because it means North Korea could potentially hit the United States. David Wright, co-director of the UCS Global Security Program says the missile could have the potential to travel 6,700km. “That range would not be enough to reach the lower 48 states or the large islands of Hawaii,” Wright wrote, “but would allow it to reach all of Alaska.”

It is North Korea’s fourth ballistic missile test since May, when South Korea’s Moon Jae-in became President, but would be its first known test of an ICBM. Bloomberg reports that North Korea first began missile testing in 1976, using material from the Soviet Union, and has slowly developed the range of its missiles ever since.

Experts doubt however whether North Korea has the technology to develop a warhead or successfully bring it back into the atmosphere. North Korea first tested nuclear weapons in 2006 and has claimed to have successfully tested a hydrogen bomb in 2016. However, Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook said last year: “The United States has not seen North Korea demonstrate a capability to miniaturize a warhead. We still feel confident that we can deter and respond to a missile threat from North Korea.”
Quote:
Last year, Reuters reported that the U.S. activated an $800 million missile shield in Romania. U.S. Deputy Defense Secretary Robert Work said at the time that the U.S. will continue to defend NATO “as long as Iran continues to develop and deploy ballistic missiles”.

Closer to North Korea, the U.S. has an anti-ballistic missile system in South Korea that can intercept short, medium and intermediate range missiles known as THAAD. Bruce Bennett of RAND Corporation told The Atlantic that THAAD only has a range of 200 km. “So they can’t even really cover Seoul with that battery, let alone something flying out over the Pacific,” he added.
Shields are in place.

Last edited by Domefan504; 07-04-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Domefan504 is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
Juicy Fruit
WHO DAT & GEAUX LSU

Juicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club Member
Juicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club MemberJuicy Fruit Prestigious Gold Club Member

Saints Report to Camp
Juicy Fruit is offline Reply With Quote

9 out of 13 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
st dude
The dotless one

st dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Member
st dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Member
But wait. Trump said we were weak on Korea and Syria. He would immediately fix everything. If this had happened during Obama administration Trump would have hammered Obama for letting it happen. Trump's big play to stop Korea? He sanctioned a Chinese bank.

To be clear, I am not saying there is something Trump could have done to stop this. There are millions of people in jeopardy in Seoul if we take any military action. What I am doing is calling Trump out on all his election blustering. Still no walll. Obamacare still in place. Tax reform not happening yet. Syria is a mess. Korea is a mess. No progress on Middle East.

I think Trump did lower his handicap. That's about it so far.

11 out of 14 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #4
mt15
Subscribing Member

mt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Member
mt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Member
Worse yet, Trump's idea of dealing with this issue is tweeting moronic pseudo gangster stuff about how much longer South Korea and Japan will "put up" with this. Or speculating that China will put a "heavy move" on NK. This is the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen a President do in my life. Seriously.

8 out of 13 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
nealkm
Hall-of-Famer

nealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
nealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
It's been less than 24 hrs since N Korea tested its icbm and people are complaining that Trump hasn't responded? Would you rather that he had declared war already? We should all be hoping for deescalation for everyone's sake.
nealkm is offline Reply With Quote

5 out of 15 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
BobE
Now with Covfefe

BobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club Member
BobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club MemberBobE Prestigious Diamond Club Member
NK is a very delicate situation. The instant a bullet is fired SK is screwed.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
st dude
The dotless one

st dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Member
st dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Memberst dude Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Here was Trump boasting in January that North Korea won't test missile on his watch.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/02/w...les-china.html

Quote:
Faced with a threat from North Korea that it might soon test an intercontinental ballistic missile, President-elect Donald J. Trump took to Twitter on Monday to declare bluntly, “It won’t happen!”
I am not saying he could have stopped it or that the launch was a failure of our policy. I am just pointing out an example of a boast he made that made him sound tougher that Obama, but he is faced with the exact same problem.

I actually think calling a UN meeting and ratcheting up sanctions is the way to go. A military intervention would be disastrous.

9 out of 9 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #8
BobE
Now with Covfefe

Military intervention would be nuclear

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
mt15
Subscribing Member

mt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Member
mt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Membermt15 Prestigious Diamond Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealkm View Post
It's been less than 24 hrs since N Korea tested its icbm and people are complaining that Trump hasn't responded? Would you rather that he had declared war already? We should all be hoping for deescalation for everyone's sake.
I'm complaining that he has responded with moronic tweets. I want him to carefully consider diplomacy, but instead we got tweets about "heavy moves" from China and lack of patience from Japan and SK.

I wish I had confidence in Trump to handle a delicate situation thoughtfully. I really wish I did.

4 out of 7 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #10
nealkm
Hall-of-Famer

nealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
nealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famernealkm is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt15 View Post
I'm complaining that he has responded with moronic tweets. I want him to carefully consider diplomacy, but instead we got tweets about "heavy moves" from China and lack of patience from Japan and SK.

I wish I had confidence in Trump to handle a delicate situation thoughtfully. I really wish I did.
Uhh... they've called for a UN Crisis meeting. The SoS held a press conference and condemed the actions. Sounds like there were high level meetings to determine next actions.

The first post was about the missile and the following posts shift it to somehow blame Trump for "election blustering" and calling his tweet "the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen a President do in my life." A little dramatic, don't you think? It's not like N Korea just started their efforts in January.... I'm not even a Trump supporter... just surprised that N Korea is shooting missiles and first thing I see is Trump being flamed.
nealkm is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 7 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #11
cpg
Very Banned

cpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Member
cpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Trump's double down on air/land/sea military funding is stupidity personified. Future wars will be fought via cyber avenue, and any route that doesn't lead to that protection is an absolute waste of time, money and manpower.
cpg is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #12
Domefan504
SR is my life!

Here is how NK(That lady) reported it on state TV.

Domefan504 is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-05-2017, 06:35 AM   #13
mt15
Subscribing Member

Quote:
Uhh... they've called for a UN Crisis meeting. The SoS held a press conference and condemed the actions. Sounds like there were high level meetings to determine next actions.

The first post was about the missile and the following posts shift it to somehow blame Trump for "election blustering" and calling his tweet "the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen a President do in my life." A little dramatic, don't you think? It's not like N Korea just started their efforts in January.... I'm not even a Trump supporter... just surprised that N Korea is shooting missiles and first thing I see is Trump being flamed.
So, yes, my statement may have been overly dramatic. I have no doubt Trump will do or say something worse later on.

Seriously, what do you make of tweets like his in this delicate situation? Do they make things better?

We've already seen reports that Trump's tweets and statements have angered NK in the past. NK has, since the election, vastly stepped up their launches. Do you think it could possibly be because Trump insists on talking tough in tweets and in person, with very little understanding of the art of diplomacy here? And probably no understanding of saving face in Asian culture?

He's an impediment to American interests abroad. There's really no way to sugarcoat it. He's worse than if the presidency were vacant.

5 out of 6 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #14
st dude
The dotless one

Quote:

Trump boasted North Korea would not test an ICBM on his watch. They did. Seemed like the right time to me to call him on that.

Throughout his campaign Trump made these promises without explaining or giving details how they would work. He pandered to his base.

I think all politicians tend to pander to their base and over promise on what they can do. But Trump takes it to another level.

I do not blame him for the missile test. I blame him for his narcissistic boasting, unsupported by real plans. Mexico was never paying for a wall. You can't repeal the part of Obamacare that funds it and leave in the part that insures everyone and covers pre-existing conditions.

You do not think North Korea testing a missile was yet another example of Trump boasting proven false? I thought it was a very undeniable example. He said they would not, they did, and no explanation from Trump or his camp about about what exact plans he had to stop testing when he made his boast.

Last edited by st dude; 07-05-2017 at 09:26 AM.
st dude is offline Reply With Quote

5 out of 6 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No
Old 07-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #15
efil4stnias
ppfffffttttt

efil4stnias has disabled reputation
Quote:

is that not what he DID?

I mean, its been laid out in front here in posts just after your initial post.

As st dude pointed out, there is always some "blowhardness" when it comes to running for office ( regarding what that person will do ).

What is LOST on this POTUS is the fact that WORLD LEADERS are paying attention to what he says he will/will not do. Whether spoken verbally or posted to Twitter.

Kim Jung Un absolutely heard and doubled down on the "they wont do diddly". Well, now Trump is in a very untenable position. Do nothing, and you get called out for what you campaigned on. Do something, and this whole "negotiating prowess" goes out the window and we now involve ourselves and other countries into a battle that could get ugly fast.

Thats the entire point here. Had he been diplomatic about the entire situation he has been routinely briefed on since DAY 1 of his term, he wouldnt be facing this situation. He could let diplomacy run its course.

But he doesnt think that far ahead. Thats the problem.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post useful? Yes | No