“He used a razor and he used to slice it so thin that it would liquefy in the pan with just a little oil. It was a very good system.” (1 Viewer)

Lol, I have both. Technology is better.

I have one of those roller smasher things that looks like a circular microplane and I've tried the mini-food processor, but in the time it takes to clean those things I can crush a couple pieces into paste with the side of a knife and some salt.

I've been thinking of going on a kitchen gadget purge.

Molcajete is essentially a larger mortar and pestle made from volcanic rock. Great for making salsa and grinding food as mine is big enough after roasting the veggies to grind them into a salsa. A metate is a larger flatter stone with a pin to grind things. My friends who taught me to cook Mexican/Central American style are from the hills essentially, and they teach old school. But, I completely agree that a ground together salsa like that is much more flavorful than one that has just been chopped.

Attachments

• 1395CEE8-46E2-4427-81D3-3E7B86EBBD2B.jpeg
    1395CEE8-46E2-4427-81D3-3E7B86EBBD2B.jpeg
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 1
  • F77CC8CA-DE4E-4D9F-A1D8-7B841AC32EA9.jpeg
    F77CC8CA-DE4E-4D9F-A1D8-7B841AC32EA9.jpeg
    795.9 KB · Views: 1
Yes and no. First it depends if you like it. Second, it depends on how it’s used. If you dump fresh garlic in a sauce or potatoes, it can get too much too quick. But if you roast it, which really mellows it as it slowly caramelizes, then it loses the sharp garlic edge.

Off topic.

I will put Jalapeno and Habanero peppers in stews.

My slow cooker kills the heat but leaves the flavor. 10 hours.

Is it just me or have Jalapeno's mellowed over the years?

And Rotel used to be hot. It just isn't now.

I'll still throw it my Chili though.

Molcajete is essentially a larger mortar and pestle made from volcanic rock. Great for making salsa and grinding food as mine is big enough after roasting the veggies to grind them into a salsa. A metate is a larger flatter stone with a pin to grind things. My friends who taught me to cook Mexican/Central American style are from the hills essentially, and they teach old school. But, I completely agree that a ground together salsa like that is much more flavorful than one that has just been chopped.

Interesting. I’ve always liked the texture of a chunky salsa, but how you're describing it sounds pretty good.

I believe so. They have bred them to be much larger now and more popular in recipes and in that process seem to have lost the punch they used to have. Or maybe it’s because there is a lot more heat and flavor in some styles now that people who like spice get used to it and need a little bit more. I dunno. I do know my old style jalapeños I grow pack a lot more punch than the ones that are 4x the size at the store. However I also let mine turn red (for the sweetness in the flesh) and the ones that have corking always go into salsa.

I believe so. They have bred them to be much larger now and more popular in recipes and in that process seem to have lost the punch they used to have. Or maybe it’s because there is a lot more heat and flavor in some styles now that people who like spice get used to it and need a little bit more. I dunno. I do know my old style jalapeños I grow pack a lot more punch than the ones that are 4x the size at the store. However I also let mine turn red (for the sweetness in the flesh) and the ones that have corking always go into salsa.

Yeah, I've noticed similar. I thought it was just my taste buds, but it seems more like the peppers are much more mild now. Other types of peppers still have a decent amount of kick. I'm more of a cayenne pepper fan anyway.

Off topic.

I will put Jalapeno and Habanero peppers in stews.

My slow cooker kills the heat but leaves the flavor. 10 hours.

And Rotel used to be hot. It just isn't now.

I'll still throw it my Chili though.

If you are used to Habanero peppers, then Jalapeños will likely seem mild to you. For something just a little hotter, try using Serrano (8k - 22k on the scale) or DeArbol peppers.

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 11.22.36 AM.png

Last edited:
Blame Texas A&M

Blame Texas A&M

Yeah that thing is a waste of a pepper. They are big and pretty but might as well be a bell pepper.
I’m more of a fan of Layering different types of peppers. I grow Serrano, cayennes, jalapeño and banana peppers along with the ghost peppers. The first 4 I use some of all to give a flavor and heat profile. The other I am careful with as a bit goes a long way

of course getting back to topic the garlic I grow is so hot that if you handle it too much it will literally make your skin blister.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom