“The Bucs are Not the Same Team” (1 Viewer)

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Or so I’m being continually told by the media following our win yesterday.

I think it’s nonsense. They are the exact same team. Suspect defensively with an offense that can put up points if you let Brady get comfortable. They barely beat a 7-9 team Saturday to advance. That we throttled them was not because they were a bad team back then and have changed, it’s because we were a much better team and still are.

Regardless, get ready for an onslaught of “beating a team three times is tough” commentary when it’s simply not true. In the 30 times it’s happened, the 2-0 team is 20-10.

Doesn’t mean we win, but it does mean the media narratives are lazy.

Last edited:

Nonreg

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
A poster on another thread pointed out some things they’re doing differently (@Jellybean). More Max protect (let your elite WRs have time to create space), more two TE sets.

I’ll be curious to hear from some of the smart football people on here how we counteract that. More zone?
I am by no means a “smarter football guy” but then keeping more blockers means more blitzing from Davis / CGJ. It means CGJ will play closer to the line and we all know how successful he is in that role.

I like those odds

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I am by no means a “smarter football guy” but then keeping more blockers means more blitzing from Davis / CGJ. It means CGJ will play closer to the line and we all know how successful he is in that role.

I like those odds
It’s funny You say that. Underhill’s article outlined how Brady has struggled against 5-man rushes. The key being that you need to disguise where the 5th man is coming from.

Sguill

Genesis
Reaction score
Brady will have better protection this time around vs. game two. I don't think we'll have near the pressure that we had game 2. Brady has also has had more time to gel with his unit, so he can get the ball out much quicker. In the end- what I think people are saying is that TB will be fielding a healthy, complete unit this weekend. I think that this comes down to trench dominance and coaching.
Let's take a look at there improvement. They have beaten the Vikings, Falcons, Lions, Falcons and the WFootball Team. Oh I so scared.

VPCajun

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’m going with the chip on Payton’s shoulder as well as the one on the shoulders of every player in that locker room. They know what the media is saying.
I guess the memo went out to start singing praises of the Saints.

Both ESPN and NFLNET are all picking the Saints and even tho most of the air time is towards Brady, they keep saying the Saints are the better team.

(Side note: Funny how so little is talked of the Saints - even when they win, most of the talk in on the opponent!)

Last edited:

Mutt

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Coach has built this team to defeat NFC South opponents. This year was a historic success with clean sweep.

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I guess the memo went out to start singing praises of the Saints.

Both ESPN and NFLNET are all picking the Saints and even tho most of the air time is towards Brady, they keep saying the Saints are the bettor team.

(Side note: Funny how so little is talked of the Saints - even when they win, most of the talk in on the opponent!)
Ha. Most ESPN.com experts have picked Tampa. Including Matt Bowen, who is their NFL Films/matchup expert.

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Or so I’m being continually told by the media following our win yesterday.

I think it’s nonsense. They are the exact same team. Suspect defensively with an offense that can put up points if you let Brady get comfortable. They barely beat a 7-9 team Saturday to advance. That we throttled them was not because they were a bad team back then and have changed, it’s because we were a much better team and still are.

Regardless, get ready for an onslaught of “beating a team three times is tough” commentary when it’s simply not true. In the 30 times it’s happened, the 2-0 team is 20-10.

Doesn’t mean we win, but it does mean the media narratives are lazy.
You are 100000 percent right. In fact I might say they are even worse now. At least when we played them in week 9 they were coming off some quality wins and a demolition of GB. Now all they beat are bad teams.

The hype for the sucanneers is out of this world. We left a lot of points on the table last week.

I really only have one concern and that is Sean needs to get back to opening it up and attacking more. There were a few fourth and shorts where regular season Payton would go for it. Punting from the 36 is inexcusable in the dome. It’s like Jim Mora infiltrated his brain.

BreesusSaves

MAAAARK INGRAM
Reaction score
Ha. Most ESPN.com experts have picked Tampa. Including Matt Bowen, who is their NFL Films/matchup expert.

Goood goood because picking against the Saints worked wonderfully last time!

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
They are definitely playing better. Take for instance, the slow start by the Saints in the Bears game because of Brees, Kamara, and Thomas not having much time playing together this year. It took the Bucs and Brady even longer to gel because they NEVER played together before. Don't you think it's possible for the same rules applied to the Saints apply to the Bucs? Trust me, this will be a MUCH closer game this time.
It may be closer but that doesn’t mean the yucs are better.

After our second game they lost to the rams and chiefs. They have now beaten atlanta twice the Vikings the lions and the foreskins. Color me unimpressed. Their offense might be better but I would argue their defense has gotten worse. I know the LSU homers will say how great White is and against the run and blitzing he is but he simply can’t cover. We will exploit him again.

Last edited:

HouseCall

Resist, Ronald, resist!
Reaction score
Both ESPN and NFLNET are all picking the Saints and even tho most of the air time is towards Brady, they keep saying the Saints are the bettor team.
But this is all true and honestly, the national stuff I've seen - nobody has really been arguing that the Bucs are better (aside from Marcellus Wiley maybe). The ones who think the Bucs win, despite not being the better team overall, all attribute that to Brady and his success in the postseason.

And that's valid - as no QB in league history has had more success than Tom. My question is this...

When did Tom Brady beat a team in the playoffs that was better than his team - aside from the freaky 2001 season where they beat a Raiders team that was probably better than the Pats overall and a Rams team that was definitely better?

Since then, the Patriots were basically the class of the league and even in situations where he may have won games on the road in the postseason - how many of those were to teams that were overall better than those Patriots squads.

I'm seriously curious as to how he fares in the postseason when he's not on the best team.

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
But this is all true and honestly, the national stuff I've seen - nobody has really been arguing that the Bucs are better (aside from Marcellus Wiley maybe). The ones who think the Bucs win, despite not being the better team overall, all attribute that to Brady and his success in the postseason.

And that's valid - as no QB in league history has had more success than Tom. My question is this...

When did Tom Brady beat a team in the playoffs that was better than his team - aside from the freaky 2001 season where they beat a Raiders team that was probably better than the Pats overall and a Rams team that was definitely better?

Since then, the Patriots were basically the class of the league and even in situations where he may have won games on the road in the postseason - how many of those were to teams that were overall better than those Patriots squads.

I'm seriously curious as to how he fares in the postseason when he's not on the best team.
Chiefs in 2018

HouseCall

Resist, Ronald, resist!
Reaction score
Chiefs in 2018
Ok. I remember that one being a bit of an "upset" with some sketchy calls going in favor of the Patriots.

But I also see that though that Chiefs team was a top offense, their defense was bottom 10. So aside from it being on the road, were the Chiefs considered the better team overall going in?

Not that it matters, of course...just exploring the narrative that the Brady Magic of the postseason is heavily dependent on him being on teams that were better than their opponents (despite seeding) and played a majority of their postseason games at home.

But yes...the KC game is a good recent example. Thanks!

VPCajun

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

I guess I wasn't very clear in my post.

I meant as of this a.m., they have changed their tune.

Prior to today, it was all "TB is a different team", etc etc

Dallas_Saint73

Squat, Bench, Deadlift.
Reaction score
Let's take a look at there improvement. They have beaten the Vikings, Falcons, Lions, Falcons and the WFootball Team. Oh I so scared.
Who is saying anything about being scared? All that I am saying is (a), they have players back to help with pass protection, and (b) Brady will probably get the ball out fast to negate our pass rush. I said it in another thread, but disrupting their WR/TE routes is probably a good strategy to help offset a QB with quick release and who can progress through reads quickly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom