007 (1 Viewer)

A. Regardless it was always compelling drama
B. When did Matthew fail at seduction (honestly don’t remember)

A. True. I'm not against having a female character be an MI5 agent. My point is that Bond's ability to seduce the opposite sex (or maybe even the same sex :) ) is part of what makes him a remarkable individual. When you switch his gender to female, that quality becomes, well, unremarkable. Hence the character is no longer really Bond.

Perhaps the way they could pull this off, is to go for a um, less attractive female lead who has to rely on wits, charm and psychology somehow :)

B. Matthew fails with that woman who works for the agricultural company..

I was actually wrong about Elizabeth always succeeding. She fails with that Korean scientist. But on the other hand, Nina (young woman in the Russian consulate) succeeds on her first try, Paige succeeds on her first try, etc. They just, don't have to do very much convincing :)

A. True. I'm not against having a female character be an MI5 agent. My point is that Bond's ability to seduce the opposite sex (or maybe even the same sex :) ) is part of what makes him a remarkable individual. When you switch his gender to female, that quality becomes, well, unremarkable. Hence the character is no longer really Bond.

Agreed here, A large part of the early Bond films was Miss Moneypenny trying to seduce Bond. That wouldn't work with a male secretary and a female Bond.

Agreed here, A large part of the early Bond films was Miss Moneypenny trying to seduce Bond. That wouldn't work with a male secretary and a female Bond.

I get what you’re saying, but I think that would be a hilarious continuing gag.

Sean Connery, no one else is close

Yep I could not agree more.

I think the further we get from the era they were written the worse they get.

Then again I don't think any bond cars were cooler than the db5. The esprit is the only other one close.

In fact why don't they just set them all before the late 60s. Fleming died in the 60s so anything set after that is just plain silly.

Perhaps the way they could pull this off, is to go for a um, less attractive female lead who has to rely on wits, charm and psychology somehow :)

B. Matthew fails with that woman who works for the agricultural company..

I was actually wrong about Elizabeth always succeeding. She fails with that Korean scientist. But on the other hand, Nina (young woman in the Russian consulate) succeeds on her first try, Paige succeeds on her first try, etc. They just, don't have to do very much convincing :)
Well I’m not sure that Philip failed so much as he didn’t try

Maybe they’ll make 007 seduce a racist brexiteer??

I wasn't a fan of Roger Moore, but has there been a better way to dispatch a villian?

Daniel Craig is just Jason Borne with a British accent. Not even close to SC. If I were choosing the next Bond I go Tom Ellis and it’s not even close. He has all the charm of SC and could fall right back into the old Bond.

Whether you are ranking Bonds or discussing who can be given the 007 designation, the big factor for me is that James Bond is a very distinctive and complex character, who wasn't defined merely by the 00 designation.

And based on that, I'd say that:
1. While Craig gives a great portrayal of what we could see as a contemporary MI agent, it is Sean Connery's portrayal which captures the true essence of James Bond, as envisioned by Ian Fleming.

2. With the move to a woman portraying 007, they will de facto kill the James Bond franchise. The next movie (if there is one) will be just a generic spy movie.

Best Villian? Oddjob or Jaws?

Jaws. And I liked Gobinda better than Oddjob. Ive tried to crush and grind a pair of dice into dust with my bare hands for the past 30 years. Haven’t been able to do it... yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom