007 (1 Viewer)

...James Bond is a very distinctive and complex character, who wasn't defined merely by the 00 designation.

With the move to a woman portraying 007, they will de facto kill the James Bond franchise. The next movie (if there is one) will be just a generic spy movie.
this?

Yep I could not agree more.

I think the further we get from the era they were written the worse they get.

Then again I don't think any bond cars were cooler than the db5. The esprit is the only other one close.

In fact why don't they just set them all before the late 60s. Fleming died in the 60s so anything set after that is just plain silly.
i would make sweet, sweet love to the db5.

Whether you are ranking Bonds or discussing who can be given the 007 designation, the big factor for me is that James Bond is a very distinctive and complex character, who wasn't defined merely by the 00 designation.

And based on that, I'd say that:
1. While Craig gives a great portrayal of what we could see as a contemporary MI agent, it is Sean Connery's portrayal which captures the true essence of James Bond, as envisioned by Ian Fleming.

2. With the move to a woman portraying 007, they will de facto kill the James Bond franchise. The next movie (if there is one) will be just a generic spy movie.
book to screen adaptations do not fall on the actor

if you prefer the Don Corleone in Mario Puzo's book, take it up with Coppola not Brando

book to screen adaptations do not fall on the actor

if you prefer the Don Corleone in Mario Puzo's book, take it up with Coppola not Brando

Whoever it falls on, the Sean Connery portrayal of 007 is the true portrayal of Ian Fleming's 007.

Ok?
But even if I agree Craig's character is more nuanced, doesn't make it a truer Bond than Connery's.
Given that we are talking about the movies
Which we are
It seems clear we’re talking about best/most interesting character portrayal in the movies
Which is Daniel Craig

007 to Ghostbusters:
giphy.gif

Which we are
It seems clear we’re talking about best/most interesting character portrayal in the movies
Which is Daniel Craig

We are talking about who is the best Ian Fleming's James Bond, and that's Connery. The new movies may be visually better because of better stunts, CGI, much more advanced cinematography, and Craig's portrayal may have some wrinkles than Connery's character didn't have (not that having those wrinkles is a good thing necessarily), but still, Connery's portrayal of James Bond is still the best portrayal of James Bond.

Which we are
Which is Daniel Craig
We are talking about who is the best Ian Fleming's James Bond, and that's Connery. The new movies may be visually better because of better stunts, CGI, much more advanced cinematography, and Craig's portrayal may have some wrinkles than Connery's character didn't have (not that having those wrinkles is a good thing necessarily), but still, Connery's portrayal of James Bond is still the best portrayal of James Bond.

If either of you changes the other's mind, I may just lose what's left of my mind.

But it is Craig, and it's not even close.

"we"
flemming didn't come into the conversation until post #19 as a way to prop up faceman who said connery was his favorite bond (not that his portrayal was the flemmingest)

Of all the James Bond film portrayals, Daniel Craig's is the most compelling because it is the most human and allows for a broader range of emotion

similarly Christian Bale's is the best portrayal of Batman

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom