'08 Insurance RB? (1 Viewer)

Achilles

Practice Squad
Reaction score
How about: Matt Forte/Tulane?
3rd or 4th Rd. pick?

No, not in the 3rd round. It's not that I don't like Forte, I just think LB is deep in this draft and a potential starter could be had there. If he is there in the 4th round, a big IF, then sure.

Forte is good, but I wouldn't spend higher than a 5th this year on him or any other offensive player. That said, he won't be around and I'd take Jacob Hester with a 5th pick.

Resign Stecker, keep Deuce, Pierre, and Bush, and pick up Ron Dayne. That's right, Ron Dayne.

Even if Deuce comes back, he does not need to be making those short tough yardage plays, so a guy like Dayne would be nice.

What's that, we can't keep 5 RBs? Why not, Bush is out at WR more than most of our WRs anyway. Just have one less WR and one more RB.

Resign Stecker, keep Deuce, Pierre, and Bush, and pick up Ron Dayne. That's right, Ron Dayne.

Even if Deuce comes back, he does not need to be making those short tough yardage plays, so a guy like Dayne would be nice.

What's that, we can't keep 5 RBs? Why not, Bush is out at WR more than most of our WRs anyway. Just have one less WR and one more RB.

We only dress 3 RB's on gameday, much less 5. Dayne would be pointless. Whether people can wrap their head around it or not, Bush is our short yardage back and it has been one of the few things hes been consistently good at.

With our offense it is impossible to keep one less WR. We go five wide, no backfield way to much. Bush may be able to play WR, but an injury to any WR on gameday would screw that formation up if we only dressed out 4 and counted on Bush to be the 5th WR fulltime. Payton also uses his WR's strategically depending on formation and situation. I can't imagine him not having 5 dressed on sunday. Copper, who rarely plays offense anymore unless we are five wide, is also a key ST's gunner.

Last edited:
I don't know if the insurace guy is supposed to be dressing....unless there's an injury...but then there wouldn't be five...

I think people have trouble wrapping their head around 'insurance'. It should mean a protection against loss or harm. in other words, we'd have to lose someone for the insurance guy to come into play....

I don't know if the insurace guy is supposed to be dressing....unless there's an injury...but then there wouldn't be five...

I think people have trouble wrapping their head around 'insurance'. It should mean a protection against loss or harm. in other words, we'd have to lose someone for the insurance guy to come into play....

I don't think that comes into play until next year. We'll resign Stecker, keep Thomas, and have Bush and Deuce. Deuce will be forced to make the team, even if he isn't completely healthy, at least for this year because of his contract. I wouldn't count on him being active for the first few weeks. I think its Bush, Stecker, and Thomas from day one and Payton will have his offense ready to work around those three. That would leave Dayne on the practice squad and I don't think he'd clear waivers. Someone would pick him up.

Yeah, but if you're going to say that SP can base his offense around those three players then you could also make an argument that he could dress four WRs and then count Stecker/Bush as the fifth. I'm not really seeing the difference between the two since they line up more at WR than the bottom WRs actually do anyways. In fact, they've used 5 WR sets where SP lines Karney and the starting RB out there so the sky's the limit.

I agree with Bonchie. Yes, you heard me right. We do NOT need another running back. Even if Deuce can't come back from his injury, we don't draft a guy. We pick him up in free agency late in the pre-season. We have way too many other needs to pick a running back. We picked two good backs the last two years -- Bush and Thomas. I haven't changed my mind as to where Bush should be when he's in, but he counts as a running back on the depth chart. Bottom line -- we don't need to draft another running back this year.

we have way to many RBs right now..infact we have too many...there are not enough carries for duece, reggie, pierre and stecker as is..no RB drafted period

we have way to many RBs right now..infact we have too many...there are not enough carries for duece, reggie, pierre and stecker as is..no RB drafted period

No position outside of fullback on this team is fine as is right now. We could even stand to draft a new backup QB.

Stecker is ok but why would you want to settle for "ok" when this draft's running back talent pool is as deep as it is this year? Stecker is getting older and will be more and more limited this year in all likelyhood. This draft presents a great opportunity to address our obvious defensive needs early, with the luxury of getting a first day talent at RB in the 4th round.

I never understood why all of a sudden a lot of folks are ok with filling the roster with subpar offensive talent, just because Brees "can make anyone look good". That's bad reasoning.

The defense wasn't the only reason for our 0-4 start. Stecker and Pierre Thomas??? I know they had some ok games, but it just convinces me that more talented players would do even better. A Jamaal Charles or Kevin Smith would tear it up in our rotation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom