09/13/2008 - Ohio State visits University of Southern California. (1 Viewer)

USC does a better job than almost all SEC schools when it comes to OOC schedules. They have only 3 slots to fill and on a given year I would think ND and Nebraska would be good teams, I am sure Nebraska wasnt 5-7 when the game was set. The only reason LSU had VA Tech on the schedule last year was the fulfillment of a deal 7 or so years prior.

USC has to schedule better OOC games in order to maintain some sort of strength of schedule advantage. They generally don't get it from within their own conference, so they must go outside to do so. SEC teams generally do not, as proven by the number of SEC teams ranked week in and week out. The PAC 10 had a fair number ranked this year, but as the season closed, they fell apart and fell out, which is normal, frankly. USC is about the only team in the PAC 10 that can be counted on to field a good team. They cannot count on their own conference to give them any sort of SOS advantage, so they must do so with OOC games. Even the usual strength from ND was missing this year for USC and Nebraska was a mess -- they honestly had a very weak schedule this year, despite how strong it looked early on, and they are realizing that this hurt them. That is precisely why the early rankings are a joke; who would have thought that ND and Nebraska would be so bad....

The only reason LSU had VA Tech on the schedule last year was the fulfillment of a deal 7 or so years prior.

Right. A deal that should have been fulfilled a half-decade ago, except that VT was ducking Saban. Little did they realize that the next guy would be even better.

But regardless of that, they were on this year's schedule. Thank you, drive through.

And besides, OOC schedule strength only counts when you can beat Stanford at home. :9:

USC does a better job than almost all SEC schools when it comes to OOC schedules. They have only 3 slots to fill and on a given year I would think ND and Nebraska would be good teams, I am sure Nebraska wasnt 5-7 when the game was set. The only reason LSU had VA Tech on the schedule last year was the fulfillment of a deal 7 or so years prior.
Notre Dame hasn't had a decent team in over a decade and Nebraska hasn't been much better. Both teams are getting by on reputations of years past.

Though I know it will never happen, I think it would be great if the SEC and another conference set up a week that they take on each other -- so for instance, SEC v PAC-10 week would feature 10 SEC teams playing all of the PAC 10 teams on the same Saturday (5 @ SEC stadiums, 5 @PAC-10 stadiums). It could be best vs best, or random, but it would be awesome to have that available -- one week every year the SEC (or any conference really) takes on other conferences.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom