1,000 yds rushing and other magic numbers (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's always struck me as weird that we have these random benchmarks
For all intents and purposes the difference between 999 yds and 1001 yds is MUCH greater than say 1001 and 1800yds

It's weird
That's all

The whole 1000 yards thing used to mean a lot more, then they went up to 16 games and you only needed like 62 yards a game to hit 1000, at a time where most teams had one RB getting the vast majority of carries. Then more and more teams started going with more of a committee approach with 2-3 or even 4 RBs and 1000 becomes more meaningful and rare.

FWIW I don't see a whole ton of difference between Ingram getting 940 yards or whatever it was he had last year and getting 1000 this year. The major difference I see is he was A) finally able to stay healthy and put in a full 1 games and B) made more advantage of relatively limited opportunity, ie being able to get 100 yards with like 12-15 carries as opposed to needing 20+ carries. He's become a more dynamic player for sure. (Should also be noted for the first time in his career he finally got double digits in touchdowns, 10 combined)

The real stat needs show how many 3rd and 1 yd. that Ingram did not convert.

The real stat needs show how many 3rd and 1 yd. that Ingram did not convert.

Oh yeah? Do you happen to have that real stat handy so we can just go ahead and dismiss Ingram's awesome season?

The whole 1000 yards thing used to mean a lot more, then they went up to 16 games and you only needed like 62 yards a game to hit 1000, at a time where most teams had one RB getting the vast majority of carries. Then more and more teams started going with more of a committee approach with 2-3 or even 4 RBs and 1000 becomes more meaningful and rare.

FWIW I don't see a whole ton of difference between Ingram getting 940 yards or whatever it was he had last year and getting 1000 this year. The major difference I see is he was A) finally able to stay healthy and put in a full 1 games and B) made more advantage of relatively limited opportunity, ie being able to get 100 yards with like 12-15 carries as opposed to needing 20+ carries. He's become a more dynamic player for sure. (Should also be noted for the first time in his career he finally got double digits in touchdowns, 10 combined)

But it's clearly part of the mythology
Teammates seem to care about it a lot
Commentators talk about it tons (not that surprising, they'll turn anything into the most important thing ever)
Incentive clauses are tied to it

As a longtime Ingram critic, his 5.1 ypc was pretty impressive. He improves every year and that's a good thing for us. I'm happy that he got his 1K season, he deserves it

Idiotic statement. Typical of a small minded moron.

I agree. I know we didn't have the best season, but we had a 5000 yd. passer in Brees, a 1000 yd. rusher in Ingram and 2 1000 yd. receivers in Thomas and Cooks. Why can't some fans just be happy for them, instead of criticizing the things that they didn't do to try and delegitimize them. I'm proud of what they did and congratulations to all of them.

well it could be meaningful in the context that the last time it happened with the saints it was like 10 years ago..

Ingram' trade value will never be higher than it is right now. Just sayin.

Swap 1st and 2nd rounders with the Jets and give them Ingram...
We draft Fournette in the 1st and then get Cunningham in round 2.

Is that the kind of deals done at Ashley Shaeffer BMW? Or is it Kia now?

No offense to Ingram, I love having him on the team, but I don't think the Jets are that dumb.

On the other hand, Brandin Cooks... I love having him and hope we keep him, Snead, and Thomas around for a while - but if there's any one of those guys that's tradable - it's Cooks.

Can we have Guice instead?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom