1 gap vs. 2 gap 3-4 and the Spread Option (1 Viewer)

FootballLady

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I was doing some research on the difference b/w the two defenses (thank you to those posters here who pointed out some of those differences) and I found the following article on Stanford's game against Oregon:

Stanford Shows Oregon Its Own Brand of Old-School Football - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

If it's true that stopping the spread option is what Coach Payton is concerned about then, based on the article, I think the Saints will be using the 1 gap 3-4 philosophy. This defense allowed Stanford to adjust to Oregon's offense and eliminate some of the mismatches they attempted to create. In any event, it's a very well written, informative article that I highly recommend.

The best way to counter the Read-Option is to instill in your players Gap Control and Do Your Job, especially the DE's and OLB's. The read is of the outside defensive player, if the DE/OLB comes at the QB he hands it off and if the DE/OLB run down the LOS the QB keeps it. The key is to keep outside contain which is difficult but mandatory. To many times last year Will Smith went steaming down the LOS only to let the QB keep the ball and gain yards. Defenses have to be extremely disaplined in their assignments and be very good at open field tackles.

Payton and our New D.C. can also make a trip about an hour north to Baton Rouge and talk to Chavis, he did a very good job against Oregons offense two years ago.

my concern with the read option is the darned play action off it.

I swear, every single time rGII or Copernicus, pulled the ball, took an extra 3 steps back, that 15-20 yd crossing route was ALWAYS open.

Its almost indefensible unless your LBs guess right and dont bite on the play action. But if a team is running the ball with success, its there every time.

The option can attack the 2-gap system because all they have to do is go the opposite way the line is attacking. Meaning if u don't want to double team someone u don't have to...u just feel where they are going and go away from them

The 1 gap is far better@ defending the option. If u check out my thread on the last page i make mention of why the 2 gap has issues with the option/pistol.

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/1-gap-vs-2-gap-3-4-a-285106/index4.html

If you watch Georgia's 2011-12 defensive highlights u see them absolutely obliterate the option and kill the mismatches. U see defenders swarming to the ball which is key in containing the option.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom