1 Gap vs 2 Gap (3-4) (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've decided to post this so that everyone has a full grasp of what we are headed into.

The difference between a Romeo Crennel 3-4 and a Todd Grantham 3-4 are very substantial. Primarily 1 is attacking (Grantham) while the other is read and react (Crennel)

The other main difference is 1-Gapping (Texans) vs 2 Gapping(Chiefs)

Here is a vid of Todd Grantham explaining the difference.

Coach Grantham Explains One-Gap vs. Two-Gap in the 3-4 - YouTube

The two gapping requires bigger lineman...lineman we DON'T have@ the moment. Meaning the transition would take MUCH longer to a 2gap system.

Thus i have quickly become a fan of Todd Grantham for numerous reasons.

1- The 1 gap 3-4 fits our Defense much much better. We only have maybe 2-3 guys on our team that can successfully two gap.
Hicks, Bunkley, Jordan. Thats including backups like Tom Johnson.

2- Its an attacking style defense. 1 of the main problems with Spags D is that it required a lot of read and react...the same as Crennels 3-4. The less guys have to think...the FASTER they play. It appeared a lot of guys were thinking last year. We do not need that.

3- The 2 gap 3-4 is weak against the option. If the NT isn't a threat on a play then why have an extra guy block him? If ur NT isn't tying up 2blockers what is he doing? Nothing. IT basically nullifies the NT and that can cause problems throught the rest of the line. If a guard is free to attack a MLB on the second level then pow..disadvantage.

4- Grantham is coming from the College Ranks. Having played against LSU last year and Florida the past few years he has seen a great amount of the read option. Payton said he didn't know a lot about it and it scares him...well why not bring in a college coach that can give u some better insight. Also a guy that has previous NFL experience but he would also be here for more than 1 year. Spags was looking for another HC job anyway so first chance he got he would have bolted.

5- While he plays the 1 gap system..he was also in Cleveland with Romeo Crennel so he probably picked up on some gameplanning tactics from the Bellichick tree. Namely gameplanning to take away a specific threats. He also seems to use multiple fronts a lot so we wouldn't just be relegated to a 3-4 and some of the weaknesses that come with it.

Now here is a tape of the UGA defense 2011-2012

Georgia Bulldogs Defense 2011-2012 Highlights - YouTube

Im going to try to piece together our Defense as is and show you where everyone SHOULD fit by theory.

We can start on the Line with NT

If u watch this video you will see #6. Thats Jenkins. You'll see him shoot gaps ALOT. For starters ull notice that he doesn't play the 0 tech much. He actually plays teh 1 technique far more often. You know who can play that position???? Akiem Hicks. He can do everything u see Jenkins doing in that video with a motor that runs just as hot..if not more.

The other player im going to call attention to is Alex Ogletree. Martez Wilson looks to fit in that role very well. Don't get me wrong we could very well see him @ LOLB but i think SILB would be the very BEST position for him. HE can cover TE's, use his long arms to keep blockers off him, patrol and clog up lanes in the short middle of the field, and sending him on the A-gap blitz would be down right nasty.

Finally ull notice Bacarri Rambo a lot in this. He basically plays the SS/Rover position. Malcolm Jenkins fits this role to a T. He isn't a straight up FS to cover Centerfield and make plays ont he ball. He can however be our chess Piece. He can blitz, he can match up on TE's, he can cover better than Roman, hes faster, younger, and cheaper. IT would also allow us to see more of IAQ who i think is a much more natural FS.

With That being said lets look@ where our guys fit@ all the positions.

RDE- Cameron Jordan/ - He basically fills the Justin Smith Role. Whomever is the OLB on this side should be kept very clean in theory. He can hold up 2 guys making stunts effective and can also provide interior passrush as most of his sacks this year came from the DT position anyhow.

NT- Akiem Hicks/ draft/bunkley- I like him playing the 1 tech. He can hold up blockers when necessary but can shoot blocks and be a pest in the back field @ a moments notice. We can also potentially draft a NT and play Hicks@ one of the ends.

LDE- Will Smith/Sheldon Richardson/Margus Hunt - Will Smith would actually help with the transition. He is familiar with 3-4 concepts after playing under 3G. He still a good player and capable of putting up 5-6 sacks. If u flank him with speed and remove his responsibilites for containing the edge u begin to play to his strengths. If not we can go Sheldon Richardson or Margus Hunt. Tom Johnson could also play here.

So in Theory running the 1 gap our Line which is very important actually becomes a bit of a strength...especially as it pertains to stopping the run and being disruptive. Now that a guy like will smith/cam jordan aren't asked to be edge rushers/contain the edge this should boost our run defense on 1st and 2nd down.

ROLB- Ezekiel Anasah/Greg Romeous/Braylon Broughton - Ansah would be perfect here. I think it was NoFalcon who mentioned that Ansah is a much better passrusher standing up. However being as big as he is he allows us flexibility to change to a 4-3 front whenever. Ansah when he can't get to the QB also is Great@ getting his hands up in the air. Leading to a lot of batted balls. Romeous and Broughton both have the size to play here.

Jarvis Jones is also a potential draft pick now.

WILB - Curtis Lofton - He is now in a phone booth and can use his short area quickness to his advantage. No more sideline to sideline responsibilities. Let him be the Thumper and have fun.

SILB - Martez Wilson - As mentioned above. He could be used to a nice effect here. IF not then Hawthorne would play here if retained.

LOLB- Junior G - The reason i moved him to LOLB is that he creates more of a matchup problem for RT's than LT's. LT's that can kick slide very well can negate Junyah and his quick first step. He doesn't have a bullrush but being matched up against slower RT's he won't really need to.

CB - Patrick Robinson. Less read and react should help him. He is a cover corner and has speed for days. We need to get a consistent passrush and him some longer cleats(for his slipping problems) and he should be ok.

CB - Jabari Greer Should have a nice comeback. Long offseason to recover.

FS - IAQ He has earned it and is probably our most natural FS. He can play deep center field. HE was excellent in pass coverage but was rated rarely low in run support. However in this 3-4 he won't be asked to come up and play the run that much so it should play to his strengths.

SS/Rover Malcolm Jenkins/- We should see him flourish in this world. He will be all over the field making plays. In this role i think 65 tackles 4 int's 3 sacks and 8 pass breakups and a FF or two are legit #'s for him. Its possible. Even with less INT's u could still qualify that as a playmaker.

Take a look@ the videos and leave comments about where YOU would place players. Just some fun ideas to look@. Enjoy!!

Edit.. For those wondering about the coverage and how our DB's would fit into it then this Article does a good job of explaining it.

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/2012/07/no-huddle-check-with-me-defense.html

Again..Enjoy

If we keep bunkley at nt then we have to do a 1 gap he isn't disruptive enough for a 2 gap but if we get a great nt or move hicks to nt and Richardson to de then we could pull of a 2 gap, hicks richardson and Jordan would be disruptive enough, anyway im more of a fan of 1 gap, it's simpler and easier, gotta have elite dline for 2 gap

If we keep bunkley at nt then we have to do a 1 gap he isn't disruptive enough for a 2 gap but if we get a great nt or move hicks to nt and Richardson to de then we could pull of a 2 gap, hicks richardson and Jordan would be disruptive enough, anyway im more of a fan of 1 gap, it's simpler and easier, gotta have elite dline for 2 gap

Dline is key to both Really. 1 just ask them to tie up blockers while the other ask them to defeat blockers and draw attention that way.

Hicks flanked by Jordan and Richardson would be excellent actually. Bunkley could then be used in rotatoin with Hicks as he can play the 1tech as well

Also if i can find that article on how the read option makes the 2gap 3-4 non effective ill post it.

I'd rather tez at lolb than galette since tez could cover tight ends idk about junior

So Ellias, if you could draft one player to fit this scheme, who would you draft? What do you envision them doing in the draft/free agency (realistic of course) to fix the defense?

Pick up Grantham and maybe move up for Jones if he falls a bit and we are set at pass rush with Jarvis, Tez, Galette, Jordan and Hicks in rushing.

Great stuff man. Always been a fan of the 1 gap.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

So Ellias, if you could draft one player to fit this scheme, who would you draft? What do you envision them doing in the draft/free agency (realistic of course) to fix the defense?

Id take Sheldon Richardson for his ability to be disruptive. It would free up other guys to make plays His hand usage is pretty good and his quickness of the snap is wicked. He has good power for a guy in the 295 range and he also gets his hands up.

Since the key is still for the Dline to be disruptive as i said Cam@ RDE Hicks@ NT and Richardson @ LDE who do u double? Someone is going to shoot thru a gap. All of these guys are capable of beating a man 1 on 1. Moving Jordan to the inside plays to his strenghts. Richardson if u just watch his tape...man kid is electric. Hicks if u pay attention to those guys then hes going to shoot a gap and wrap up the ball carrier in the backfield.

No matter who is @ OLB on either side all they would have to do is be able to win a 1 on 1 and pow. Our run defense on 1st and 2nd down should see a big rise...which should lead to a case of more chances to get after the QB on 3rd down.

Inside pressure is important so thats why i would take Richardson. Also because there are so many passrushers imagine if we could get Richardson in the 1st and Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd?? Just awesome.

That's a tough question, do u mean at 15 or at anyone? The best 4 players for us if we could pick anyone would be either Jarvis jones, star lotulelei, sheldon richardson or mingo in my opinion

Id take Sheldon Richardson for his ability to be disruptive. It would free up other guys to make plays His hand usage is pretty good and his quickness of the snap is wicked. He has good power for a guy in the 295 range and he also gets his hands up.

Since the key is still for the Dline to be disruptive as i said Cam@ RDE Hicks@ NT and Richardson @ LDE who do u double? Someone is going to shoot thru a gap. All of these guys are capable of beating a man 1 on 1. Moving Jordan to the inside plays to his strenghts. Richardson if u just watch his tape...man kid is electric. Hicks if u pay attention to those guys then hes going to shoot a gap and wrap up the ball carrier in the backfield.

No matter who is @ OLB on either side all they would have to do is be able to win a 1 on 1 and pow. Our run defense on 1st and 2nd down should see a big rise...which should lead to a case of more chances to get after the QB on 3rd down.

Inside pressure is important so thats why i would take Richardson. Also because there are so many passrushers imagine if we could get Richardson in the 1st and Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd?? Just awesome.

Agree Richardson projects as maybe the best 3-4 end in the draft, they are comparing him to jj watt

I'd rather tez at lolb than galette since tez could cover tight ends idk about junior

The OLB's in the 1 gap aren't asked to drop back in coverage too often. They rush the passer more and its more of 5-2 scheme. Ill have to take a look but Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin both rush the passer a lot. If they are asked to play in coverage its usually to follow the back to the flats or drop in a very short zone. U are right. IT depends on the responsibilities. Martez Fits either spot though. It depends on where Hawthorne fits and how they view him.

However one thing is clear. Martez should be used as a standup LB. Not a DE

The OLB's in the 1 gap aren't asked to drop back in coverage too often. They rush the passer more and its more of 5-2 scheme. Ill have to take a look but Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin both rush the passer a lot. If they are asked to play in coverage its usually to follow the back to the flats or drop in a very short zone. U are right. IT depends on the responsibilities. Martez Fits either spot though. It depends on where Hawthorne fits and how they view him.

However one thing is clear. Martez should be used as more than just a passrusher...
Yea I read the Texans are really a 5-2 because they always rush the OLBs.

Read and reacting is not one of Wilsons strong suits. Imagine him on an x blitz tho.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom