1 year in prison for 1 year as a billionaire?? (1 Viewer)

Sure. After the year in Prison, i get my billion dollars. Then I just pay my wife a billion dollars as a private contractor to teach me ballroom dancing. You just said I couldn't keep the billion dollars.

Sure. After the year in Prison, i get my billion dollars. Then I just pay my wife a billion dollars as a private contractor to teach me ballroom dancing. You just said I couldn't keep the billion dollars.

This was similar to my line of thinking and why I said yes. 1 year in prison and the year after I can live like a king and also donate millions to various charities. Just because I can't keep it doesn't mean others can't either.

here's the premise:
you get to live as a billionaire for 1 year - buy whatever, travel wherever, do whatever - you want for nothing (but you won't be able to keep anything)
but
first, you pay with this by a year in prison - you can't be killed or contract life-threatening illness, but that's all the protection you get ('regular' american prison - not Midnight Express or anything)

you can figure out how friends or family is part of the equation

do you do it?

Reverse this same scenario. What do you do? Couldn't mentally enjoy the year as a billionaire knowing at the end, that year in prison is waiting and you don't have the billion year to look forward to.

Yes, clearly yes.

Some of things people go through (for much longer than a year) to achieve wealth aren’t all that different than prison, and a billion dollars is massive wealth. It sets your family for generations to come and a year of suffering isn’t really the biggest sacrifice I could think of.
i am sure you have already been researching the legal loopholes to let you keep it all.

Yes, clearly yes.

Some of things people go through (for much longer than a year) to achieve wealth aren’t all that different than prison, and a billion dollars is massive wealth. It sets your family for generations to come and a year of suffering isn’t really the biggest sacrifice I could think of.

But , I think the intended rule is, you can't keep any of the billions or keep any of it after the year. (No, you can't give it to people to give it back to you.)

i am sure you have already been researching the legal loopholes to let you keep it all.

Yes. Didn’t you see Brewster’s Millions?

In all honesty, I didn’t read the question that closely. You don’t get to keep any of it? I want to change my answer.

But , I think the intended rule is, you can't keep any of the billions or keep any of it after the year. (No, you can't give it to people to give it back to you.)
This was the intended rule, but it was a pretty good (though obvious in retrospect) loophole

But I like Moose’s egalitarian approach (and am shamed not to have thought of it)
I think all infrastructural improvements would either be dismantled or at least there could not be no maintenance
BUT whatever educational or health improvements were made would stay

But aside from the legal loopholes of asset transfer, I wonder if someone you could gain enough knowledge in that year such that when you got out, you would know some type to secret to wealth generation. Like could you be mini-Warren Buffet if you just knew what he did / what his habits are..

A semi-realistic scenario would be being handed a platinum credit card. There would be a record of transactions so it should be easier to shut down the "I'll give you X now if you give back 0.5*X in one year" type of under the table deals.

But aside from the legal loopholes of asset transfer, I wonder if someone you could gain enough knowledge in that year such that when you got out, you would know some type to secret to wealth generation. Like could you be mini-Warren Buffet if you just knew what he did / what his habits are..
if you were a wannabe director, you could finance and shoot your movie inside a year - you couldn't get any residuals, but if your work impressed producers who wanted to hire you afterwards, that would be fine

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom