10/2 bill simmons page 2 power poll (1 Viewer)

neworleanshoo

hoodat
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
another blow to the "no respect" crowd..

also an interesting point about tyree's helmet catch - if i were a pats fan that play would haunt me for the rest of my life.

THE CONTENDERS
4. New Orleans
3. Indianapolis

Manning reached "As long as I'm healthy, and as long as I have a half-decent defense and skill guys who can make a few plays, pencil me in for 10-12 wins and a playoff spot" status about five years ago. (And he's better than ever, by the way.) Brees looks like he's assuming that same status this season. The beating hearts of their respective Super Bowl contenders, Brees and Manning have to be considered MVP favorites A and B in some order. (And there's no C.) I like New Orleans better than Indy right now only because of the Saints defense (faster, scarier) and the Superdome (one of the only home-field advantages left in the league).

Now, remember how Brady was regarded heading into the 2007 playoffs: 16-0, passing records, the new Montana, etc. Did you ever think in a million years that he'd be bounced from the previous paragraph completely in 20 months? From 2003 to 2005, Brady was Russell and Manning was Wilt. Things switched briefly when Indy won the Super Bowl. Brady seized it back with the Eff You season. If the Helmet Catch doesn't happen, not only does Brady become immortal, but now the Pats are opening up on Thursday night and we never see Bernard Pollard in Week 1. Nope. They lose the title and Brady gets wiped out in Week 1. From that point forward, Manning became Russell and Brees became Wilt. And Brady is on the outside looking in. At least for now. Crazy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnflpicks/091002

This is a what have you done for me lately kind of industry and Brady hasn't done much (compared to his previous output). Manning has been a staple since entering the league and even though I thought his team (and Manning) would have an off year and begin his decline from the throne, he has proven me wrong and I am fine with that because I am a big Peyton fan.

Brees will get love on occasion, but I don't expect there to be too much consistent talk about him even if he keeps up this torrid pace. He has kept most interviewers away and the national spotlight is still on Manning/Brady/Favre/Dallas/Vick which is the way I think Brees wants it. Just stick to business and let his play on the field speak for him.

It's funny, I really don't care whether any sports writers think the Saints are good. I know they're good and what matters will happen on the field.

But I really do like it when they talk about how tough of a place the Superdome is to play. I guess because that's more subjective and I like when we get our (well deserved) props.

Whodat!!

For Simmons, who's the biggest New England (Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox) homer there is, to put Brees ahead of Brady like that speaks volumes. Cool comment about the Dome too, but Saints fans already know it's the best home field advantage in the league.

Not too long long ago, we won all our games on the road and couldn't buy a win in the dome... that was a confounding year.

it'll be interesting to see if that trend re-occurs this year, because almost ALL our remaining tough games are at home, while all the easies are on the road.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom