10 days from March 1....any word yet (1 Viewer)

tenordas

Vesti le procè flamber
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Houston via New Jersey, New Orleans, Baton Rouge,
Well, "Nancy" says we can't allow it to happen. Not because of what it might do to the economy, but because of how it will reflect on Congress to take a pay cut.

Nancy Pelosi says cutting Congress' pay undermines dignity of job

Honestly, the only thing undermining that woman's dignity is her constant mistake of opening her mouth and speaking.

This quote from her husband, however, is the real tell of just how completely out of touch with the American people Congress really is:

Pelosi, whose husband, Paul, is a legit real-estate mogul, was quick to add that slicing her own paycheck wouldn’t "mean as much" as those senators who struggle to make ends meet on $174,000 per year.
If people want to get Pelosi out of office, they should plaster that quote all over her district come re-election time.

I think we need to get rid of the lot of them, Dems, and Repubs. The professional politicians have no idea what the rest of America is like or how we live. It's time we got rid of them and put normal working people into Congress and rotate them in and on short term bases. We aren't getting anywhere with the clueless bunch of masked aristocrats that are running things now. They will continue to kick the can and pretend all is well as long their paychecks keep coming - and we're the idiots who are giving those checks to them. It's time to pull the plug.

OP
efil4stnias

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, "Nancy" says we can't allow it to happen. Not because of what it might do to the economy, but because of how it will reflect on Congress to take a pay cut.

Nancy Pelosi says cutting Congress' pay undermines dignity of job

Honestly, the only thing undermining that woman's dignity is her constant mistake of opening her mouth and speaking.

This quote from her husband, however, is the real tell of just how completely out of touch with the American people Congress really is:

If people want to get Pelosi out of office, they should plaster that quote all over her district come re-election time.

I think we need to get rid of the lot of them, Dems, and Repubs. The professional politicians have no idea what the rest of America is like or how we live. It's time we got rid of them and put normal working people into Congress and rotate them in and on short term bases. We aren't getting anywhere with the clueless bunch of masked aristocrats that are running things now. They will continue to kick the can and pretend all is well as long their paychecks keep coming - and we're the idiots who are giving those checks to them. It's time to pull the plug.
the way i read that quote...she said it.

And should resign. To retain any "dignity" she thinks she has left.

tenordas

Vesti le procè flamber
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
the way i read that quote...she said it.

And should resign. To retain any "dignity" she thinks she has left.
Oops, yes you're right! She did say it. I misread that. As I said, the only thing destroying her dignity - and her credibility - is her own mouth.

drob8785

All-Pro
Reaction score
Oops, yes you're right! She did say it. I misread that.
Well she sort of said that.

The quote you provided (with your bolding):
Pelosi, whose husband, Paul, is a legit real-estate mogul, was quick to add that slicing her own paycheck wouldn’t "mean as much" as those senators who struggle to make ends meet on $174,000 per year.
Her actual quote from the original The Hill article:
"It's a hard question to ask me because most of my colleagues are the breadwinners in their families. A pay cut to me doesn't mean as much."
Disclaimer: I dislike Pelosi a lot. She's a party hack, and I think she's part of group of lawmakers on both sides of the aisle that are bad for America.

But there is no need to twist words around to make her sound worse than she actually is.

OP
efil4stnias

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Disclaimer: I dislike Pelosi a lot. She's a party hack, and I think she's part of group of lawmakers on both sides of the aisle that are bad for America.

But there is no need to twist words around to make her sound worse than she actually is.
i can agree with that....not as harsh as original quote. But I would still question her train of thought on a subject of "pay cuts" since we still havent fully recovered from the Great Recession, yet during that period, not her, not anyone else in Congress, stood up and said, "cut my pay like my constituents are feeling right now".

Its just more proof of a complete and total disconnect between Congressional members and the general public.

tenordas

Vesti le procè flamber
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Well, I got the quote from the MSNBC article. Since they generally don't bash Democrats, I figured it was probably an accurate quote. I didn't twist around anything, merely copied what was reported as her statement; though, of course, they may have twisted them. Again, I would expect such twisting to come from FOX News or some conservative site, not from MSNBC, who usually lean the other direction in their reporting.

I, like all of us, have no way of knowing who reported the totality of her actual words and who didn't, of course, unless some site has video of it. Unfortunately, I can only take their word for it otherwise.

drob8785

All-Pro
Reaction score
Well, I got the quote from the MSNBC article. Since they generally don't bash Democrats, I figured it was probably an accurate quote. I didn't twist around anything, merely copied what was reported as her statement; though, of course, they may have twisted them. Again, I would expect such twisting to come from FOX News or some conservative site, not from MSNBC, who usually lean the other direction in their reporting.

I, like all of us, have no way of knowing who reported the totality of her actual words and who didn't, of course, unless some site has video of it. Unfortunately, I can only take their word for it otherwise.
Actually, no you didn't get it from MSNBC.

The link you posted leads to MSN now, a social media powered aggregating site that is completely different from MSNBC.

Your page doesn't have an author, but does link the The Hill article I posted.. If I were to guess, I imagine MSN now's team purposefully sensationalizes news stories to boost their "viral" potential.

Reading critically and understanding what quotation marks mean is important. As is getting your news from places other than MSN now.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Oops, yes you're right! She did say it. I misread that. As I said, the only thing destroying her dignity - and her credibility - is her own mouth.
You want to know what destroys credibility?

1. Misquoting statements by others and then criticizing them for what they didn't say.

2. Backing it up when called by saying something silly.

Like this:

Well, I got the quote from the MSNBC article. Since they generally don't bash Democrats, I figured it was probably an accurate quote.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Let's try to re-focus here on the topic.

One interesting thing about the cuts is that Sequester (as I understand it) calls for what is approximately an 8.5% cut in discretionary spending. This means the non-mandatory spending (such as SSA and Medicare). So this will apply to most federal operations (defense, national parks, TSA, etc.).

But the cuts are on a fiscal year basis. So the roughly 8.5% must be met for the fiscal year. Well, we're already halfway through FY13 (operating on a continuing resolution) and while some cuts were already built in, agencies have not been operating this FY on the Sequester levels - so to meet the required cuts by the end of FY13, they will actually have to cut quite a bit more than the 8.5% to make up the difference for the full fiscal year.

I have heard it's somewhere in the vicinity of 13%.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)