10 Years ago today: The Iraq War (1 Viewer)

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
Was just watching a segment on CNN about this and they asked the question: Should anyone be tried for war crimes for the Iraq War?

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Who asked? Was there any discussion about the question?

OP
IntenseSaint

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
Who asked? Was there any discussion about the question?
The mid-day anchor on CNN. She wears those thick rimmed back glasses. I am upstairs in my office but have CNN on and have heard them run the story a couple of times already. Nothing on their website about it right now.

OP
IntenseSaint

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
Just a bit ago they ran a segment talking to locals in Iraq saying how they thought it was better under Sadam than it is now.

the-commish

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Just a bit ago they ran a segment talking to locals in Iraq saying how they thought it was better under Sadam than it is now.
Plus, for all of those talking about what a threat Iran is; overthrowing Saddam, and installing a Shi'ite government, provided Iraq on a plate as a natural ally for Iran.

The Iraq war was bad policy.

chad141fa

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Well, we follow the ROE more than any other armed forces I have witnessed. And to be quite honest it has gotten Soldiers killed. But I am sure they can all sit in their little studio chairs complaining about their parking spots while condeming situations that are not black and white. War is violent and chaotic, **** happens regardless of how you try to mitigate it. No one purposly tries to kill non combatants, but just like all war it happens and sometimes is unavoidable. Do we have some ahole Soldiers, of course, but we get them in check and punish them accordingly through UCMJ. Bottom line if it is between keeping your Joes alive and protecting your team you do everything neccessary. War is ugly, no other way to say it.

OP
IntenseSaint

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
Well, we follow the ROE more than any other armed forces I have witnessed. And to be quite honest it has gotten Soldiers killed. But I am sure they can all sit in their little studio chairs complaining about their parking spots while condemning situations that are not black and white. War is violent and chaotic, **** happens regardless of how you try to mitigate it. No one purposely tries to kill non combatants, but just like all war it happens and sometimes is unavoidable. Do we have some ahole Soldiers, of course, but we get them in check and punish them accordingly through UCMJ. Bottom line if it is between keeping your Joes alive and protecting your team you do everything necessary. War is ugly, no other way to say it.
I want to be clear this is NOT about soldiers. This is about those who initiated the policy that put soldiers there.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, we follow the ROE more than any other armed forces I have witnessed. And to be quite honest it has gotten Soldiers killed. But I am sure they can all sit in their little studio chairs complaining about their parking spots while condeming situations that are not black and white. War is violent and chaotic, **** happens regardless of how you try to mitigate it. No one purposly tries to kill non combatants, but just like all war it happens and sometimes is unavoidable. Do we have some ahole Soldiers, of course, but we get them in check and punish them accordingly through UCMJ. Bottom line if it is between keeping your Joes alive and protecting your team you do everything neccessary. War is ugly, no other way to say it.
All that's completely correct and you're right, but it seems in your hurry to defend the military that you're overlooking the argument being made in the article.

Hans Blix has first hand knowledge of what was going on in Iraq before the invasion. I think his opinion is certainly worth consideration and I really don't see much to argue with in this:

I headed the U.N. inspections in Iraq at the time of the war 10 years ago. Today, I look again at the reasons why this terrible mistake -- and violation of the U.N. charter -- took place and explore if any lessons be drawn. Here are my thoughts.
After the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, George W. Bush's administration felt a need to let the weight and wrath of the world's only superpower fall on more evil actors than just Afghanistan's Taliban regime.
No target could have seemed more worthy of being crushed than Iraq's brutal dictator, Saddam Hussein. Sadly, however, the elimination of this tyrant was perhaps the only positive result of the war.
The war aimed to eliminate weapons of mass destruction, but there weren't any.
The war aimed to eliminate al Qaeda in Iraq, but the terrorist group didn't exist in the country until after the invasion.
The lingering effect of war on Iraqis 10 years later: Iraq's phantom WMD Teens see no hope for future in Iraq Iconic moments from 2003 Iraq War
The war aimed to make Iraq a model democracy based on law, but it replaced tyranny with anarchy and led America to practices that violated the laws of war.
The war aimed to transform Iraq to a friendly base for U.S. troops capable to act, if needed, against Iran -- but instead it gave Iran a new ally in Baghdad.

drob8785

All-Pro
Reaction score
A dark anniversary in American History.

I highly recommend poking around The Costs of War's report on the Iraq War: Iraq: 10 Years After Invasion | Costs of War

Besides the cost of human lives, the damage to the international reputation of the US, and the fuel it gave to radical groups across the Middle East, the invasion, occupation, and "rebuilding" of Iraq has also been a massive contributor to our national debt.

From here.

tenordas

Vesti le procè flamber
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Houston via New Jersey, New Orleans, Baton Rouge,
The mid-day anchor on CNN. She wears those thick rimmed back glasses. I am upstairs in my office but have CNN on and have heard them run the story a couple of times already. Nothing on their website about it right now.
I'm not going to defend invading Iraq. It was a mistake. But the question is offensive to say the least. Is that anchor the same genius who asked Bill Nye if the close miss asteroid was an effect of global warming?

chad141fa

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
All that's completely correct and you're right, but it seems in your hurry to defend the military that you're overlooking the argument being made in the article.

Hans Blix has first hand knowledge of what was going on in Iraq before the invasion. I think his opinion is certainly worth consideration and I really don't see much to argue with in this:
Did you read what I said after the fact. I already admitted that I assumed he was talking about something else and not the article because I never read it. Nothing was attached in the original thread start. I didn't comment on if it was a good idea or not, I comment from the perspective as you like to say "first hand knowledge" of being in the mix on ground. He has first hand knowledge of "what was going on" I have first hand knowledge as a war fighter. We as Soldiers dont pick and choose who , what , when or where we fight. My job is to accomplish my mission and the welfare of my Soldiers. We stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy. That is what we are built for, its what we train for, its what we are *supposed* to be used for.

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Did you read what I said after the fact. I already admitted that I assumed he was talking about something else and not the article because I never read it. Nothing was attached in the original thread start. I didn't comment on if it was a good idea or not, I comment from the perspective as you like to say "first hand knowledge" of being in the mix on ground. He has first hand knowledge of "what was going on" I have first hand knowledge as a war fighter. We as Soldiers dont pick and choose who , what , when or where we fight. My job is to accomplish my mission and the welfare of my Soldiers. We stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy. That is what we are built for, its what we train for, its what we are *supposed* to be used for.
Still nobody in the thread criticizing the soldiers :shrug:

OP
IntenseSaint

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
I'm not going to defend invading Iraq. It was a mistake. But the question is offensive to say the least. Is that anchor the same genius who asked Bill Nye if the close miss asteroid was an effect of global warming?
You know what... lol I think it was. Actually no it wasn't, just looked up the youtube clip of her with Bill Nye

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)