11-12 foot gator in Lakeview area of New Orleans, shot dead by area LWDF agent. (1 Viewer)

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
For the life of me, I have a difficult time understanding this, of such a wonderful animal. I get the fact it was roaming in a residential area and there were legitimate concerns. No problem there. But there have been gators of this size and larger, tranqulized and wrapped up to be relocated in the marsh. St. Charles Parish and the marsh, are only 20 minutes away. Ridiculous how intolerant we act with animals that accidentally get lost, or stray out of their habitat. Makes no sense. Not buying the LWDF reasoning here. And they are catching 40 kinds of he!! for it. Deservingly so.

For the life of me, I have a difficult time understanding this, of such a wonderful animal. I get the fact it was roaming in a residential area and there were legitimate concerns. No problem there. But there have been gators of this size and larger, tranqulized and wrapped up to be relocated in the marsh. St. Charles Parish and the marsh, are only 20 minutes away. Ridiculous how intolerant we act with animals that accidentally get lost, or stray out of their habitat. Makes no sense. Not buying the LWDF reasoning here. And they are catching 40 kinds of he!! for it. Deservingly so.

However, Jeb Linscombe, the alligator program manager for the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, said the agency "does not condone" relocating such a large alligator, especially if it's found in an urban environment and might have become habituated to humans.

"We will not allow nuisance hunters to relocate a 10-footer because you're really just relocating a threat and a danger from one area to another area," he said.

that seems slightly at odds with what the hunter was saying that it's his call to make (kill or relocate)
but even he said, that size and close to houses, you don't take that chance
-
i used to walk my dog on the old golf course before they gussied it up
def glad we did not have a gator encounter but plenty of walkers said they saw them often (but nothing over 5ft really)

The swamp is big enough
However, Jeb Linscombe, the alligator program manager for the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, said the agency "does not condone" relocating such a large alligator, especially if it's found in an urban environment and might have become habituated to humans.

"We will not allow nuisance hunters to relocate a 10-footer because you're really just relocating a threat and a danger from one area to another area," he said.

That would make sense of you were relocating it from one urban setting to another. But then again, that would be stupid - especially when there is one of the world's largest swamps just down the road.

I don't get why you're so out raged. Sometimes this happens.

I don't get why you're so out raged. Sometimes this happens.
Exactly.
For every 12 footer on a golf course there are 1000 more like them in the nearby swamps. I would be incensed if the animal was endangered. But this is no longer the case.
Not by a long shot.
Golf Course Gator.jpg

11-12' ? barely an adult.

they aren't deer. not an endangered species, but they once were, and sadly, they on the verge of getting there again within the next decade.

killing a gator that is a threat is one thing. killing a gator because it is on the side of the road? unacceptable. completely unacceptable.

that seems slightly at odds with what the hunter was saying that it's his call to make (kill or relocate)
but even he said, that size and close to houses, you don't take that chance
-
i used to walk my dog on the old golf course before they gussied it up
def glad we did not have a gator encounter but plenty of walkers said they saw them often (but nothing over 5ft really)
City Park typically has gators removed when they are between 5-6 foot. Once they become that big, they tend to be more aggressive. There is nothing more scary, then playing a round of golf and your ball ends up close to the edge of a lagoon and you walk up close to an unsuspecting gator.
I don’t know who ends up more scared. You or the gator. 😂. It has happened to me about a half dozen or so times in playing golf over 40 years. If you hadn’t had your first drink yet for the round, you certainly will after an encounter of the gator kind. The ones at TPC in Avondale are not to be messed with. There is ol tripod, who is the king. 3 legged monster and about 400 pounds now. He is a mainstay there. They keep close dibs on his whereabouts. Not sure if he is still there, since they redid the course. Have not played there since last year.

11-12' ? barely an adult.

they aren't deer. not an endangered species, but they once were, and sadly, they on the verge of getting there again within the next decade.

killing a gator that is a threat is one thing. killing a gator because it is on the side of the road? unacceptable. completely unacceptable.
This gator, would have found his way to water. He grew to be 11 foot and 300 pounds, by not devouring any humans, while roaming in an urban habitat of water!! They do not make it to the size of 11-12 feet and 300 pounds, by making themselves a target. They are savvy and stealth. They just needed to shadow him and could have allowed him some time to get where he was going. Like it said in the article. THE LAST TIME THERE WAS AN ALLIGATOR ATTACK IN LOUISIANA, WAS LIKE 12 YEARS AGO AND IT WAS BECAUSE SOME BOYS WERE SWIMMING WHERE A GATOR WAS AND WERE FEEDING HIM! Well DUH! 12 years ago!!!!

Underhill is hilarious:

I do not see a need to make light of a animal being shot and killed in haste. I imagine since the Orleans Parish resource was not around (long holiday weekend), and the Jefferson Parish resource was called upon, he wanted to get on with his long weekend as well.

Underhill has nothing better to do with his time without any Saints news. I hope he has a backup plan.

I do not see a need to make light of a animal being shot and killed in haste. I imagine since the Orleans Parish resource was not around (long holiday weekend), and the Jefferson Parish resource was called upon, he wanted to get on with his long weekend as well.

Underhill has nothing better to do with his time without any Saints news. I hope he has a backup plan.
Nick does not
He pushed all of his chips in on neworleansfootball.com
He might could write a blog about 90s rap but that’s about it

Exactly.
For every 12 footer on a golf course there are 1000 more like them in the nearby swamps. I would be incensed if the animal was endangered. But this is no longer the case.
Not by a long shot.
Golf Course Gator.jpg

Agreed. Someone will buy some nice gator skin. I spend a good amount of time in the marsh. We don't need any more alligators habituated to men. We have enough of them in the wild already.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom