11-12 foot gator in Lakeview area of New Orleans, shot dead by area LWDF agent. (1 Viewer)

For the life of me, I have a difficult time understanding this, of such a wonderful animal. I get the fact it was roaming in a residential area and there were legitimate concerns. No problem there. But there have been gators of this size and larger, tranqulized and wrapped up to be relocated in the marsh. St. Charles Parish and the marsh, are only 20 minutes away. Ridiculous how intolerant we act with animals that accidentally get lost, or stray out of their habitat. Makes no sense. Not buying the LWDF reasoning here. And they are catching 40 kinds of he!! for it. Deservingly so.

I remember the following from the gator boys show on discovery. Gators less than 10 feet long are relocated. Those exceeding that length
are killed. I can't remember the reason why, but i;m currently researching

We had a ten footer removed from our lake in May. I've seen six footers stalking my two year old and our dogs and cats. It took animal control almost a year to remove the 10 ft gator.

Exactly.
For every 12 footer on a golf course there are 1000 more like them in the nearby swamps. I would be incensed if the animal was endangered. But this is no longer the case.
Not by a long shot.
Golf Course Gator.jpg
i love you dude. i completely disagree though. their numbers dwindle everyday. still not close to extinction, but they may well be again. not today, not tomorrow, but 10+ years from now is a realistic possibility.

their eggs are eaten by other predators at a rapid rate. people hunt them at a rapid rate. i see no reason to let one wandering alone, be a target to shoot at. makes zero sense.

i hate koalas because they are evil forkers. doesn't mean i want them to see extinction.

every animal, mammal, insect, etc. has a place in our ecosystem.

we as humans, are too naive and or ignorant to want to see the truth.

We had a ten footer removed from our lake in May. I've seen six footers stalking my two year old and our dogs and cats. It took animal control almost a year to remove the 10 ft gator.
manufactures make fences. just saying.

we invaded their space, not the other way around.

Well, come manufacture a fence for me then in this man made lake...
hah. i'm jus' sayin'

edit-
honestly, even though i'm an butt crevasse. i love animals. natural predators are just that, predators. no different from humans feasting on anything we can kill.

i think it is sad to disrupt them of their instincts. when they are close to a human interaction, yes. different story.

When I was in high school my dad had a membership at Fairwood CC in Baton Rouge (I don't think it's even there anymore), and there was a gator that lived on the course. You'd usually see it in one of the ponds, probably about a seven footer or so.

Anyway, one summer day I hit a drive and started walking to my ball and noticed something out of the right corner of my eye, and there it was, just walking along the fairway less than 20 feet away. I don't think it gave one rats arse about me, it was just walking to one of the ponds that was in the same direction that I was going, but I about jumped out of my shoes when I first saw it.

i hate koalas because they are evil forkers. doesn't mean i want them to see extinction.

Yes!!! I finally got one. I had “hates koalas” on my zeetes bingo card.

I was pretty bummed about not having “in current possession of a troupe of marionettes” a while ago - but with this, I’m back in the game.

Yes!!! I finally got one. I had “hates koalas” on my zeetes bingo card.

I was pretty bummed about not having “in current possession of a troupe of marionettes” a while ago - but with this, I’m back in the game.
dude. they look cuddly, but are evil arse forkers. i doubt any aussie would disagree.

they don't just protect their young, but are hostile if too close (sexually frustrated or not). their claws are weapons freddy kruger level of psychotic. very territorial. a koala is a forking butt crevasse.

dude. they look cuddly, but are evil arse forkers. i doubt any aussie would disagree.

they don't just protect their young, but are hostile if too close (sexually frustrated or not). their claws are weapons freddy kruger level of psychotic. very territorial. a koala is a forking butt crevasse.
i reiterate, they seriously are to be avoided with close contact. worse even is if they are in a random arse place, not near trees (eucalyptus to be exact), can be highly aggressive. very aggressive.

in my 7th grade, at a very piece of work mt macedon school, one was in the courtyard and the school was put on lockdown while one happened to be in the middle courtyard.

that should speak for itself.

Did you learn this on walkabout or is it common knowledge?

We have a pack of coyotes roaming our neighborhood at night. My next door neighbor caught them on a trail camera. I keep my dog
inside at night. The benefit is I no longer have wild rabbits destroying my garden or deer eating from my fruit trees. That;s a good
thing in my opinion. I agree 100%

i love you dude. i completely disagree though. their numbers dwindle everyday. still not close to extinction, but they may well be again. not today, not tomorrow, but 10+ years from now is a realistic possibility.

their eggs are eaten by other predators at a rapid rate. people hunt them at a rapid rate. i see no reason to let one wandering alone, be a target to shoot at. makes zero sense.

Even mosquitoes??

I really don’t think the numbers are “dwindling” in Louisiana. Do you have anything to support that statement? At one time the population was in trouble due to over hunting but according to wildlife and fisheries, it’s fully recovered. It’s not uncommon for me to see literally hundreds of them on a single fishing trip, some quite large. I also have a friend who owns an alligator farm. They aren’t hunted at a rapid rate. It’s very strictly controlled. He reintroduces a bunch every year as well. So the idea that the population isn’t doing well seems counterintuitive to me. They are literally everywhere around here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom