11 sacks last three games (1 Viewer)

SaintsJunkie

BREES HOF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If we could have done that from the beginning , we would lead the league in sacks with 40, 5 better than any other team.

keep up the good work

Two words...Sheldon Rankins

Yup! Rankings has been the game changer on D we have been missing this season. We are a much different team w a much better record if he had been playing since week 1.

Being able to create outside pressure on the QB is great, but nothing halts an offense more than getting pressure in his face imo. I honestly thing the best DT in the league is more valuable than the best DE/OLB bc I feel like the DT helps more vs the run game and allows lesser outside rushers to get sacks.

The last few weeks have been great. I was getting tired of seeing almost EVERY play where the QB could just stand in the pocket for 4+ seconds, even if we rushed 5-6 players. We're getting a decent rush with 4 now. Rankins and Fairley have been amazing. Kruger is a decent all-purpose DE but man I wish Kikaha was healthy this season for passing downs.

Healthier secondary. Losing Breaux/Williams hurt. If the coverage is shoddy it leaves no time for the dline to get to the QB

Ellerbe is a bigger part of the improvement than I think a lot of people realize. He has consistently been getting good pressure and it's helping everyone around him. I've seen Cam get two sacks that were directly attributed to Ellerbe running the QB into him.

Cam - Rankins - Ellerbe are a fantastic and complimentary trio.

So maybe DE isn't as big a need in the off season as some think.
Kikaha comes back a healthy Rankins and a new CB and some LB help for health reasons.
More and more encouraged about this defense.

That whole side of the ball is doing much better. It all works together. Better pass rush helps coverage. Better coverage helps pass rush. Another cool stat is run defense.

Raiders 167
Giants 64
Falcons 217
Chargers 38
Panthers 103
Chiefs 112
Seahawks 74
49ers 93
Broncos 103
Panthers 50
Rams 69

And Points Allowed in the 2nd half...

Raiders 25
Giants 9
Falcons 17
Chargers 10
Panthers 28
Chiefs 6
Seahawks 6
49ers 3
Broncos 15
Panthers 3
Rams 0

So maybe DE isn't as big a need in the off season as some think.
Kikaha comes back a healthy Rankins and a new CB and some LB help for health reasons.
More and more encouraged about this defense.

If there's a DE in free agency or the draft that we like, of course we should take him. But we don't have to reach for that position or any other. My hope is that we spend our free'd up cap money in a way that lets us grab for toys in the draft.

I'm watching Paul Kruger the rest of the season to see if he begins to shine now that the entire D-line is clicking. Also watch Edibali. Figure Kikaha would double what he does. Nothing to back that up, just how I'm seeing it.

That whole side of the ball is doing much better. It all works together. Better pass rush helps coverage. Better coverage helps pass rush. Another cool stat is run defense.

Raiders 167
Giants 64
Falcons 217
Chargers 38
Panthers 103
Chiefs 112
Seahawks 74
49ers 93
Broncos 103
Panthers 50
Rams 69

And Points Allowed in the 2nd half...

Raiders 25
Giants 9
Falcons 17
Chargers 10
Panthers 28
Chiefs 6
Seahawks 6
49ers 3
Broncos 15
Panthers 3
Rams 0

WOW. We are giving up an average of only 5.5 POINTS in the 2nd half of the last 6 games, which is 70% LESS than in the first 5 games.

That stat is HOT. :1poledancer:

The front 7 is much better with Rankins and Ellerbe back. Ellerbe is shockingly good. He is all over the field making plays.

Guys, I don't know how to say this, but since getting healthy I can't help but feel we have a legitimate defense

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom