11 years ago this very night (1 Viewer)

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
Saints 38 - Patriots 17

Until the Super Bowl happened, the magnitude of this game was so unlike anything we had previously experienced, considering it was just a regular season game.

The best way I know to describe it is that it was the difference between knowing that the future potentially looked really bright (2006 @ Dallas......and beating the Eagles in the divisional round of those playoffs to get to the NFC title game) and knowing they could legitimately win it all.

I remember it vividly. I usually only get to go to 1 or 2 games a year, but the Superbowl season, I was able to go to 5 games (including the two playoff games), and this was one of those. I still remember Bill B pulling Tom Brady out of the game in the 2nd half & them just standing on the sidelines shaking their heads at the beatdown.

Saints 38 - Patriots 17

Until the Super Bowl happened, the magnitude of this game was so unlike anything we had previously experienced, considering it was just a regular season game.

The best way I know to describe it is that it was the difference between knowing that the future potentially looked really bright (2006 @ Dallas......and beating the Eagles in the divisional round of those playoffs to get to the NFC title game) and knowing they could legitimately win it all.

the first time I remember thinking we were special that year was against the Raiders in pre season. That’s when you could see our run game was legit. And then our receivers proved just too many to cover on the way to this game and Dev took the top off a couple. But you are right, this is the game that it really started having a special feel to it. And watching BB amd Tompa stare at the scoreboard or big screen is forever burned in my brain.

Great anniversary.

I've posted about this before, but the sad sunken face of a visibly beaten Brady, sat on the sideline rendered utterly impotent, will stay with me forever.

(Although seeing it twice again this year was a lovely pick-me-up in these 2020 dog days)

the first time I remember thinking we were special that year was against the Raiders in pre season. That’s when you could see our run game was legit. And then our receivers proved just too many to cover on the way to this game and Dev took the top off a couple. But you are right, this is the game that it really started having a special feel to it. And watching BB amd Tompa stare at the scoreboard or big screen is forever burned in my brain.

That Raiders preseason game was definitely a sneak preview.

Brees had a ridiculous completion percentage and it looked so effortless, to the point where one of the Raider TV broadcast announcers said something like "I'm not sure they would be able to complete all of these passes if they were just going against air!!".

I remember going to that game expecting a loss. Like really expecting a loss. That’s when Super Bowl entered my mind.

I remember going to that game expecting a loss. Like really expecting a loss. That’s when Super Bowl entered my mind.

I remember having no true idea what to expect. But I can say with all certainty that I didn't expect it to be so one-sided in favor of the Saints.

Incredibly memorable win.

To me, when Brady was sent to the sidelines was a step change in believability that the '09 season was going to be epic and winning the SB became very real. The subsequent ~2months were a magical time, and this was the kick-off party.

I remember going to the game lit like a Christmas tree thinking we were the shiznit.

Left even litter, KNOWING we were the shiznit.

I just remember the atmosphere in sec 632 was one of pure jubilation and party.

The French Quarter was rocking after that game! Every block had a different brass band playing with people dancing---playoff atmosphere after party

Probably in my top 5 Saints' games ever. Like others mentioned - I started drinking the Sean Kool-Aid that night. Seeing our Saints destroy NE made us legitimate.

I think that season many of us were already talking about the feeling that we would go all the way. That game was, for many, a confirmation that the 2009 Saints were a team of destiny.
Does that make the Broncos game yesterday confirm we're a team of destiny?

I mean what are the odds us of all teams, given our past luck, be the team that gets to benefit from the first team that lost all their QBs to one game?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom