12 dead in Thousand Oaks California - Shooter killed himself (1 Viewer)

I wonder if this guy was on ssri uptake inhibitors?
I know there is a question on the application for gun purchase but I suspect people lie.

Guns certainly make it easy to kill people. No argument there. Combined with these drugs, which are widely prescribed/used, the results can be tragic.

Would you say something similar to planned parenthood? An organization that actually responsible for killing humans?
reverse the question: are you pro-life except for victims of gun violence?

also please understand that you handcuffed any 2nd amendment argument bu alluding to roe v wade

I was responding to the NRA reference. People blame the NRA for gun violence, when the NRA itself, nor its members are responsible for any of these deaths. Planned parenthood in fact, is responsible for deaths.

I was responding to the NRA reference. People blame the NRA for gun violence, when the NRA itself, nor its members are responsible for any of these deaths. Planned parenthood in fact, is responsible for deaths.
would you say that birth control is the best way to limit abortions?

They aren't pulling the trigger, but as the snippet I presented at the bottom of the last page shows(which I should mention, until people really started processing the study, was actually passed around gun advocacy circles), they are doing quite a lot to set the conditions for gun violence to occur. It has been NRA backed politicians and their position to basically do things like gut the ATF and put handcuffs around law enforcement agencies to go after and track criminal enterprises and criminals that are trafficking in the weapons or actually committing a not insignificant portion of the violence every year.

And to me this is the sort of thing where I don't just think the NRA and it's backers have lost the plot and gotten a bit of course, they have driven us off the forking cliff and instead of trying to encourage every passenger to jump out, they locked the doors and let the car plummet into the river below and told everyone to stay the course as the vehicle continues to take on water and sink into the abyss.

Last edited:
Gun deaths. That’s very broad. How many of those were gang on gang, or similar? The left loves the term gun deaths, but when that figure is broken down, the number of purely innocent people in those figures is minuscule.

Gun deaths. That’s very broad. How many of those were gang on gang, or similar? The left loves the term gun deaths, but when that figure is broken down, the number of purely innocent people in those figures is minuscule.
Well for one, it would be nice if the NRA and it's political money grabbers would allow some serious in depth research to be conducted using the best amiable data pool we have in the country by the CDC, but like enforcing the laws on the books like is often parroted, that is hamstrung by deliberate acts on their behalf to prevent better data from getting collected.

But I think you miss the point, gang on gang violence is not just something that stays isolated to those doing the shooting, it affects communities, bystanders, and the economic health of the country, and as the study I mentioned shows, a lot of that could be aided by simply letting law enforcement have the resources they need to do their forking job. And what I dont hear from you or anyone is a good reason as to why they shouldn't?

Do you honestly believe the NRA is responsible for law enforcement not doing its job?

Do you honestly believe the NRA is responsible for law enforcement not doing its job?
When they are the ones backing politicians and putting public and private pressure to (successfully)pass legislation that deeply constrains budgets by law and makes it illegal to do basic things like put together a simple spreadsheet of gun serial numbers to discern patterns that could identify and help shutdown criminal enterpises and help local law enforcement officers either trace an act of gun violence back to a suspect or prosecute that suspect, yes, yes they do. When it goes to bat to defeat legislation that would make it harder for people with a record of domestic abuse to buy a gun(something that is common amongst mass shooters), yes, they deserve culpability for their actions of setting the foundation for this sort of activity to keep occurring.

But backstage, the NRA sabotages law enforcement. It limits inspections of firearms dealers and argues against penalties for violating record-keeping laws. It forces the destruction of background-check records. It impedes prosecutions of illegal gun sales. It blocks background checks for person-to-person sales. It opposes the use of police to execute background checks, as well as federal mandates that would provide the necessary information.​
-------------------------------------------------
Since the shooting that left 17 people dead at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, last month, several states have been scrambling to enact legislation that might prevent gun violence—at least on a mass scale. But the lack of research on the federal level has left lawmakers with little guidance as to which laws actually work.​
The reason for such a paucity of federal research goes back to 1996 when Rep. Jay Dickey (R-Ark.) sponsored the Dickey amendment, a National Rifle Association-backed rider that prohibits most Centers for Disease Control and Prevention research on gun violence by framing it as “advocating” for gun control measures. Since then, there has been virtually no federally supported gun research, which means that public health professionals and researchers aren’t able to put forward effective gun violence prevention strategies.​

The ATF employs about 5,000 men and women, approximately the same number of staff it had a decade ago; about half are special agents assigned to conduct criminal investigations. That’s a force about the size of the Harris County, Texas, Sheriff’s Department. In a letter to Vice President Joe Biden’s gun violence commission, 108 academic researchers complained that the ATF’s funding was “stagnating” while the budgets of law enforcement agencies such as the FBI had seen “dramatic expansions.” Since 1972, the Drug Enforcement Administration’s staff has more than doubled, while the FBI’s is up by two-thirds. The ATF’s current budget of $1.15 billion is little changed from the $900 million it received 10 years ago.​
The success of ATF’s critics in reining in its authority is nowhere more evident than in the bureau’s appropriation statute, which is two pages long, devotes 11 lines to describing the agency’s budget and the remaining 76 lines to proscriptions on its powers. Many of these “riders,” as they’re known, go to the agency’s most basic investigative functions. Two of the riders effectively ban consolidation and computerization of records. One limits access and use of crime gun trace data, while another undermines the credibility of whatever trace data are released.​

The NRA helped Congress formally handcuff the agency, in the form of the 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act. The law, which included a handful of token regulations (such as a ban on machine guns), made it all but impossible for the government to prosecute corrupt gun dealers. It prohibited the bureau from compiling a national database of retail firearm sales, reduced the penalty for dealers who falsified sales records from a felony to a misdemeanor, and raised the threshold for prosecution for unlicensed dealing.​
Perhaps most glaringly, the ATF was explicitly prohibited from conducting more than one inspection of a single dealer in a given year, meaning that once an agent had visited a shop, that dealer was free to flout the law.​
Those restrictions haven’t changed over the last two decades. “There’s no other law enforcement entity in the country that has any restriction remotely like that,” says Jon Lowy, the director of the legal action project at the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.​
During the George W. Bush administration, The gun lobby delivered another big blow. In 2003, Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.) inserted a series of amendments into a Department of Justice appropriations bill that prohibited the ATF from sharing information on weapons traces to the general public—effectively restricting researchers from detecting trends and potential loopholes in current policy. (A 1996 NRA-backed budget likewise prohibited the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from studying the health effects of gun ownership.)​
The same year, Congress, backed by the NRA, split the ATF off from the Department of Treasury and stipulated that its director be confirmed by the Senate, effectively giving the gun lobby veto power over who would run the agency. Since then, the ATF has simply gone leaderless. No nominee has been confirmed by the Senate after that policy went into effect—not even President Bush’s pick. Without job security, acting ATF directors have had none of the political capital needed to reform the agency or run it at full throttle.​

Tell me, do you have a list of stores that drug dealers and gang members buy their machine guns from?

Tell me, do you have a list of stores that drug dealers and gang members buy their machine guns from?
This response says all I need to know, you aren't even bothering to do the most superficial reading of ANYTHING I just took the time to present to you, I had even forking highlighted and underlined it on the last page lol:
The firearms bureau knows exactly who these gun dealers are — but they're not allowed to share that information with policymakers or researchers due to a law passed by Congress in 2003. As a result, solutions for stanching the flow of guns from these dealers to crime scenes remain frustratingly out of reach for public-health researchers.​

Maybe putting it in big font and blue letters will get some mental penetration this time? Maybe, but I won't hold my breath.

The fact that you actually believe criminals buy guns from dealers tells me all I need to know. However, I won’t be using big blue letters.

The fact that you actually believe criminals buy guns from dealers tells me all I need to know. However, I won’t be using big blue letters.

Where do they buy them?

Keeping in mind, of course, that all guns are manufactured legally, and presumably the first sale of all guns is also legal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom