12 dead in Thousand Oaks California - Shooter killed himself (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...thousand-oaks-southern-california/1927840002/

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – A tall, hooded gunman dressed in black and covering his face with a bandana opened fire late Wednesday during College Night at a crowded country dance bar in Southern California, killing 12 people, including a sheriff's sergeant.

Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean identified the gunman, who later killed himself, as Ian David Long, 28, a Marine veteran, from Newbury Park, a town inside the Thousand Oaks city limits.

The melee erupted at the Borderline Bar and Grill, a country-western dance bar in Thousand Oaks, about 40 miles west of Los Angeles. Hundreds of people fled in terror, including some who used bar stools to break windows and escape.

"It’s a horrific scene in there,” said Dean, who choked up at one point while speaking to reporters in the bar's parking lot. “There’s blood everywhere.”

The sheriff said police have had "several contacts" with Long in recent years. Most notably, police said he was "angry and acting a little irrationally" when a mental health crisis team was called to his home earlier this year to investigate a disturbance. The team concluded Long did not need to be taken into custody, he said.

In addition, Long was listed as the victim in a bar skirmish three years ago, Dean said.

A Marine corporal, he served for five years — from 2008 to 2013 — including an eight -month tour in Afghanstan, according to Marine Corps records.

The suspect, who served five years in the Marine Corps, including an eight-month tour in Afghanistan, was armed with a legally purchased Glock 21 .45-caliber handgun designed to hold 10 rounds plus one in the chamber. But the sheriff says the gun had an extended magazine that is illegal in California.

After spraying bullets for almost three minutes, the gunman then went into an office near the front of the bar where he was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

It's near Pepperdine, which is where I believe Sean Payton's daughter goes to school.

He was a marine. No criminal record I'm aware of.

Same area has a big time fire risk this afternoon too.

Last edited:
I'm all out of thoughts and prayers. Looks like we may need to look into a better solution.

Law enforcement and mental health professionals were called to his home 6 months ago for his behavior. This is on them for not finding anything.
I only glanced at that.

Think they determined that he wasnt to the point of being baker acted, which is only a 72 hour hold (or 48? Forget). Theyd give a short term supply of meds, as needed, and tell him to schedule an appt with a psychiatrist for meds. Likely would ignore it.

Cali may not have a provision like florida does now (after parkland) to allow law enforcement to confuscate weapons for credible reasons. So, hard to blame them if the seizure would have been illegal.

This is why we need common sense gun laws. Because these types of situations dont always give law enforcement an option to act. It is not just about limiting types of weapons or accessories...

Define common sense gun laws. California already has a lot of gun laws.

This is why we need common sense gun laws. Because these types of situations dont always give law enforcement an option to act. It is not just about limiting types of weapons or accessories...
You want common sense gun laws, arm yourself. That's the best thing you can do to prevent yourself from becoming a small statistic.

The guy suffered from PTSD but that's not enough to take his rights away. If there was something more going on then his rights should have been revoked. You can't legislate crazy. There is no getting rid of this so called gun problem with laws. The cats out of the bag.

California has strict gun laws and magazine restrictions so let's not focus on guns when the real problem is obvious.

You want common sense gun laws, arm yourself. That's the best thing you can do to prevent yourself from becoming a small statistic.

The guy suffered from PTSD but that's not enough to take his rights away. If there was something more going on then his rights should have been revoked. You can't legislate crazy. There is no getting rid of this so called gun problem with laws. The cats out of the bag.

California has strict gun laws and magazine restrictions so let's not focus on guns when the real problem is obvious.

It's likely he went to another state to get the gun. Adding more guns to an already saturated country full of guns isn't the answer. That's like saying the way to fix my flooded house is to add more water, or the way to stop a drinking problem is by drinking more. Just...plain...stupid.

Likely? In other words probably not.
No it's not the same thing. If you want protection from someone using a firearm to kill you, arm yourself. That's common sense.

I agree with you. To me, it’s pointless to argue this one on the internet though.

I have my home protection gun. Not a gun nut by any stretch lol. This is such a hot button issue and no one will convince any other to change their line of thought imo.

Anti gunners argue gun laws don’t work effectively because guns are purchased in areas with less restrictions and bring them home. If this is the case, why aren’t the less restrictive areas as violent?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom