12 NFL free agents to watch as Saints seek upgrades (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
bouye_texans_patriots-300x210.jpg

Free agent cornerback A.J. Bouye may be just what the Saints need to solidify the secondary.

12 NFL free agents to watch as Saints seek upgrades

By Rene Nadeau -- SportsNola.com

Now that Super Bowl LI is in the rear view mirror, the 2016 NFL season is completed. It’s time to move onto the first phase of the ’17 season – free agency.

There will be an assortment of options on the market. Some players are nearing the ends of their careers, and a few with a little left in their tank but need the right fit. Others are young and ready to take in their big payday.
There is always a bargain or two to be inked if you look in the right spots. The New Orleans Saints hope to do just that, perhaps with another signing like last season’s savvy acquisition of linebacker Craig Robertson.

The Saints have just under $30 million in their free agency checking account with only $9,116,656 in dead money after several seasons of much more holding them back.

Let’s take a peek at a dozen players (both high-priced and potential bargains) the Black and Gold may have on their radar as possibilities to bring in during the process.

Depending what the team decides to do with Jahri Evans – or what he may decide about continuing his career – offensive guard could be a primary focus either in free agency or in the April draft.

Kevin Zeitzer of the Cincinnati Bengals is someone to consider. The 6-foot-4, 315 pounder will be 27 years old in March coming off his rookie contract. The former Wisconsin Badgers standout was a good choice in the first round in 2012 by the Bengals. Zeitzer is a power run blocker and the highest graded player on the Bengals O-line. He doesn’t give up sacks very often, and that gets you paid in today’s NFL.

MORE -- SportsNOLA.com

Bouye/Johnson/Gilmore + Hightower/Brown + Zeitler

Either that or replace one of the above with Fairley.

I'd like a deeper look at some of the deeper options. Idk how high demand Leary is, but if he's at a decent price, I'd say that's a great grab.

Ronald Leary
Melvin Ingram
Dre Kirkpatrick
Gerald Hodges

If the money could work for those 4, that's a great start going into next year.

I'd like a deeper look at some of the deeper options. Idk how high demand Leary is, but if he's at a decent price, I'd say that's a great grab.

Ronald Leary
Melvin Ingram
Dre Kirkpatrick
Gerald Hodges

If the money could work for those 4, that's a great start going into next year.
Leary is currently a backup in Dallas iirc, (I try not to follow Dallas too much) that could bode well for the cap. However, he is what we already have in Lelito and Turner, correct? A road grader, with somewhat limited lateral ability.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Leary is currently a backup in Dallas iirc, (I try not to follow Dallas too much) that could bode well for the cap. However, he is what we already have in Lelito and Turner, correct? A road grader, with somewhat limited lateral ability.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Lelito has all the physical tools to be a pro-bowl guard but has 4-5 mental breakdowns per game.
Klement(sp) is limited physically but is consistent.
Leary is an upgrade, when healthy.
Turner is an unknown

For me I'd really like to see Gilmore or Trumaine Johnson. It'd be a big hitter move to land one... preferably Tru.

Who would you choose between Nick Fairley and Kevin Zeitler? Just curious.

CB Marcus Cooper

CB/S Kayvon Webster (special teams captain)

MLB/OLB A.J. Klein (special teams captain)

LB Sio Moore

LB Bruce Carter

DE Mario Addison

WR/RS Cordarelle Patterson- he would solve the return game issues and I'd also play him in Cadet's role as satellite RB. With Payton guiding him Patterson could be great. Pass blocking may be an issue.

After signing these guys I'd still go after DE, CB, and LB in the draft.

I'd also resign DT Fairley and RG Jahri Evans. While drafting an Andrus Peat type, RG/RT, for the right side.

I feel like I'm forgetting someone. Can't remember who.

There aren't a lot of big names on my list, but free agents have a 50% success rate. That's why I'd love to double and triple up in areas of need. Instead of putting all our eggs in one Byrd like basket.

CB Marcus Cooper

CB/S Kayvon Webster (special teams captain)

MLB/OLB A.J. Klein (special teams captain)

LB Sio Moore

LB Bruce Carter

DE Mario Addison

WR/RS Cordarelle Patterson- he would solve the return game issues and I'd also play him in Cadet's role as satellite RB. With Payton guiding him Patterson could be great. Pass blocking may be an issue.

After signing these guys I'd still go after DE, CB, and LB in the draft.

I'd also resign DT Fairley and RG Jahri Evans. While drafting an Andrus Peat type, RG/RT, for the right side.

I feel like I'm forgetting someone. Can't remember who.

There aren't a lot of big names on my list, but free agents have a 50% success rate. That's why I'd love to double and triple up in areas of need. Instead of putting all our eggs in one Byrd like basket.

I like AJ Klein, but overall I would be very disappointed with that offseason.

Days until the combine: 15
Days until free agency: 21

Those measurables on Stephon Gilmore are quite impressive. I know he had just an "okay" year, but that 6-1 190 pound frame with long arms and 4.38 speed and 36 inch vertical is very tempting. He's exactly what you need to defend against Julio. Yeah he can't shut him down, no one can, but he definitely has what it takes to compete with him.

To me, Gilmore, Melvin Ingram, and bringing the Louisiana native Ronald Leary home would be a home run.

A guy like Zach Brown or Cordarelle Patterson would be awesome too as lagniappe, if we have money leftover.

Gilmore would be the perfect cb to have to slow down the WRs like Julio/Evans etc. plus toss him in with Breaux, moore etc. plus whoever the saints would get in the draft it would be perfect.

Zeitizer or Leary would be perfect to pick up to help solidify the o-line

I like AJ Klein, but overall I would be very disappointed with that offseason.

Days until the combine: 15

Days until free agency: 21

I can understand that. These are middle class Free Agents with an emphasis on special teams. But they should fill needs. I based these guys off of the Patriots style of signings. Also I'm probably one of the few people who believes LB Sio Moore can be a consistent starter and a stud special teamer. He is a forgotten player.

I can understand that. These are middle class Free Agents with an emphasis on special teams. But they should fill needs. I based these guys off of the Patriots style of signings. Also I'm probably one of the few people who believes LB Sio Moore can be a consistent starter and a stud special teamer. He is a forgotten player.

Yeah I'm not saying it wouldn't turn out to be good for us. I just think we really need a #1 corner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom