Video 12 year ago today - Saints crush Pats as Brees throws 5 TDs! (1 Viewer)

Crushing an excellent Eagles team on the road in week two. They never knew what hit them.
I SWEAR that was the game when I knew they were going to the Super Bowl. I still have the phone where I texted it to my dad while watching week 1 and week 2 highlights back-to-back but I can't find the charger to power it up and prove it lol.

Prior to that, I had the uncanny ability to predict the Saints final season records no later than week 6 or 7. It was one of my "talents."

And that year, I said we'd go 14-2 and go to the SB... in week 2!

I was off by one, but that Tampa game in the dome was all but won (SMH).

I recall Jim Henderson predicting the SB in the PRESEASON, so he was more talented than I. But I'm still proud of my foresight to this day.

What a wonderful year that was.

Most people's "When did you know the 2009 Saints were championship material?" responses will typically involve:

1. the MNF game against New England

2. the preseason game against the Raiders
I'm not sure if it was 2009, but I remember a Raiders preseason game in the dome where a Saints O-lineman was blocking a Raiders defender with one arm LMAO. He literally had the other arm hanging down to his side like he was leaning against a wall :smilielol:

I wonder if that was the year.

I'm not sure if it was 2009, but I remember a Raiders preseason game in the dome where a Saints O-lineman was blocking a Raiders defender with one arm LMAO. He literally had the other arm hanging down to his side like he was leaning against a wall :smilielol:

I wonder if that was the year.

I also remember playing them in 2011 preseason.......Joique Bell was the star of that game, in another convincing Saints victory in Oakland.

I don't specifically remember that play you're referring to, in either year.

And I’ve said it before

that TD pass to Devery was the widest open I’ve ever seen a receiver in an NFL game

gotta love the quote “he can do the backstroke into the end zone!”

That game was so incredibly fun to watch.

Not only the amazing beatdown but all those camera shots of TB and Billi heck looking forlorn and unhappy.

Man....that team was something. Starting that year Brees went on a 7 or 8 year tear of just being inhuman on the field.

12 YEARS AGO????!!!

giphy.gif

Outside of the Super Bowl and playoff games, this is probably my favorite Saints game ever. I figured if the Saints could dominate a traditional well-coached powerhouse like NE, they must be legit.

View attachment Saints Pats 2009.mp4
This. This game brought me so much joy and started my love affair with seeing the 'Tom Brady sad face' that runs strong to this day.

Fun Fact:
With this performance, Brees is the ONLY QB in NFL History to throw 5 TDs & have a perfect 158.3 QPR against Brady/Belchick team.

Plus, Brees should of been the 1st QB since '99 Kurt Warner to win the both Regular Season MVP & Super Bowl MVP in the same season. Typical NFL

Fun Fact:
With this performance, Brees is the ONLY QB in NFL History to throw 5 TDs & have a perfect 158.3 QPR against Brady/Belchick team.

Noticed the 5 TD qualifier

How many perfect rating games have there been against the Belechick/Brady Patriots?

I’m guessing not very many

Mike McKenzie turned that entire game around when he intercepted Brady. People will look at the final score and fondly recall it as start to finish domination, but New England was actually leading 7-3 late in the first quarter, and had the ball slightly beyond midfield in Saints territory.

But once that interception happened, the Saints absolutely never looked back. Don't ever let anybody tell you that one play can't dramatically change an entire game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom