12 years for a cell phone? (1 Viewer)

Dago

Veteran
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

what in the fork?

Wow...how absurd is that? Is there more to the story that's being left out? I'm guessing he went on a killing spree using nothing but a cell phone because that's the only way that makes sense.

Wow...how absurd is that? Is there more to the story that's being left out? I'm guessing he went on a killing spree using nothing but a cell phone because that's the only way that makes sense.

I don't know....there is even some question as to whether he was searched, asked to surrender everything, or even informed that he had to. He literally went to a jail employee and asked where he could recharge the damned thing. You could certainly say he ain't the brightest, but it doesn't seem like he did it knowing he was violating any law or for any nefarious purpose

This is a real problem with prosecutors. Too many times they go for the maximum sentence when something lesser would completely suffice. They are resume building at the expense of individuals that don't deserve the harsh punishments.

Honestly, hitting this guy with a misdemeanor and a fine would have been more than enough to deter him from doing it again. If I was the governor, I would pardon this guy -- or at least commute his sentence to time served.

So the full context is that he was arrested on a separate misdemeanor charge - and thus in custody and considered an "inmate" for purpose of Mississippi's law that imposes harsh penalties for inmates having contraband, including cell phones. That statute provides a 3 to 15 year sentence. Of course, none of that context helps the situation.

It's completely insane - and I find the court majority's tone entirely abhorrent. They almost summarily reject the defendant's arguments on legal grounds with zero recognition of what a horrible miscarriage of 'justice' this is. At least the concurring judge had the moral compass to say that while the result is not flawed as a matter of law, it's still an awful result for this man and his family.

So the full context is that he was arrested on a separate misdemeanor charge - and thus in custody and considered an "inmate" for purpose of Mississippi's law that imposes harsh penalties for inmates having contraband, including cell phones. That statute provides a 3 to 15 year sentence. Of course, none of that context helps the situation.

It's completely insane - and I find the court majority's tone entirely abhorrent. They almost summarily reject the defendant's arguments on legal grounds with zero recognition of what a horrible miscarriage of 'justice' this is. At least the concurring judge had the moral compass to say that while the result is not flawed as a matter of law, it's still an awful result for this man and his family.

worse yet, they literally said they were doing him a favor by not giving him the full 15 years

worse yet, they literally said they were doing him a favor by not giving him the full 15 years

That was the trial judge . . . but yeah, all part of the same "justice" apparatus.

This story is being picked up by news media all over the world now.

The state had a lot of gang killings statewide in the prisons over the last two years and some of them were being coordinated with cell phones and some of killings were videoed or had pics taken with cell phones, those pics/videos were turned around and used to post on social media causing more violence. Also, if he serves with good behavior he can get out in 3 years.

So yeah, a lot of the story is missing to make sure outrage is maximized but it still doesn't justify it.

The state had a lot of gang killings statewide in the prisons over the last two years and some of them were being coordinated with cell phones and some of killings were videoed or had pics taken with cell phones, those pics/videos were turned around and used to post on social media causing more violence. Also, if he serves with good behavior he can get out in 3 years.

So yeah, a lot of the story is missing to make sure outrage is maximized but it still doesn't justify it.

Mostly because it’s still outrageous. He wasn’t serving time - he was in custody for a misdemeanor. It sounds like it’s the phone he had on him when he was booked, they never inventoried it.

Last edited:

I am fine putting things into context but let's run the theme all the way out: if the goal is to stop people from using cell phones for coordinating crimes and killings, the guy who asked the guard if he could get his phone charged probably isn't the droid they're looking for.

This is like when Kentucky got caught sending $5,000 to a player in a FedEx envelope, and then, in the immortal words of Jerry Tarkanian, "The NCAA got so mad at Kentucky they put Cleveland State on probation for three years." You want to set an example to chill future bad behavior, don't pick some poor ignorant semi-innocent ******* to do it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom