13-3 or better seasons consecutively (1 Viewer)

Yeah we have never finished 12-4 with Payton, so I don't think anything thinks we will end up 11-5 instead. No way this team finishes 3-3.
Sure there is. What about injuries? Certainly Chiefs and Vikings can beat us and if there is terrible weather in Philly, as bad as the Eagles have played anything can happen. I gotta admit, I’m also worried about Broncos and a motivated Falcon team the second go around. Anything can happen in the NFL.

Sure there is. What about injuries? Certainly Chiefs and Vikings can beat us and if there is terrible weather in Philly, as bad as the Eagles have played anything can happen. I gotta admit, I’m also worried about Broncos and a motivated Falcon team the second go around. Anything can happen in the NFL.
Ok we have one person that thinks we are somewhat likely headed for disaster.

Looking at the Saints' season going into Week 12 (game number 11 for them), the saints have won 8 games, and should be favored to win at least 5 of the 6 remaining games. If the Saints win 5 more games this season, the team will set an NFL record. No NFL team has won 13 games or more 3 consecutive regular seasons.

I think the record for total regular season wins over 3 seasons is 40 by the Cowboys. If we don't lose we can tie it, but I like the idea of winning at least 13 games in 3 consecutive seasons.

There wants were a time when winning a game was enough, then it was a winning record and getting into the playoffs. Now, it is all about playing in the SB.

-----

That may be true for you and many others but not for everyone. Of course I want our boys to hoist another Lombardi. But it’s not “all about playing in the SB” for me and, I suspect, many others, especially the old timers like me.

Every one of their wins represents at least a day plus of joy for me, and good times celebrating inside the Dome and eating and drinking after for home games. Having my heart broken in the playoffs isn’t easy, but it also doesn’t take away the good times I had in the past on Victory Sunday and Mondays.

13 win seasons are terrific even if a Super Bowl doesn’t follow.

Last edited:
That may be true for you and many others but not for everyone. Of course I want our boys to hoist another Lombardi. But it’s not “all about playing in the SB” for me and, I suspect, many others, especially the old timers like me.

Everyone of their wins represents at least a day plus of joy for me, and good times celebrating inside the Dome and eating and drinking after for home games. Having my heart broken in the playoffs isn’t easy, but it also doesn’t take away the good times I had in the past on Victory Sunday and Mondays.

13 win seasons are terrific even if a Super Bowl doesn’t follow.

I never made any such claim. I merely suggested why the "record" is getting a lukewarm response. I was born in '69 so I was not there for the absolute beginning and I was not fully cognizant of the early losing seasons, but I do recall them "always losing." I was also there when they went 1-15, had faith and Hope in Bum only to have it ripped away by that "kick." I was also a "woulda, shoulda, and coulda" guy until Mora showed me my poor ways. My standards are higher as they should be. I will never take solace in beating the eventual SB champion as I once did. I moved on from that.

----

Well, you win games to get into the playoffs, and then the goal is to win the SB. The more you win the better the seed. Positive stats are great, but ultimately, a stat that doesn't lead to a SB means little. I am not trying to be wet blanket, but if you want to know why there is a lukewarm response it is that. There wants were a time when winning a game was enough, then it was a winning record and getting into the playoffs. Now, it is all about playing in the SB.

-----
Once respectively

I think the record for total regular season wins over 3 seasons is 40 by the Cowboys. If we don't lose we can tie it, but I like the idea of winning at least 13 games in 3 consecutive seasons.
It IS 40, but its the Bears from 85-87. Incidentally, the 4-year record is 52 held by the Bears from 85-88 and NE 04-07, we would come up 1 shy of that if we went 14-2.

It IS 40, but its the Bears from 85-87. Incidentally, the 4-year record is 52 held by the Bears from 85-88 and NE 04-07, we would come up 1 shy of that if we went 14-2.
Yes thanks, it was the Bears. I knew something about what I said felt off. However, if we did go 14-2.... there's always next year.

I think we should wait until we get to 11 wins with 3 to play before we start with this

It’s like starting the undefeated talk when you’re 8-0

Too soon

Well, you win games to get into the playoffs, and then the goal is to win the SB. The more you win the better the seed. Positive stats are great, but ultimately, a stat that doesn't lead to a SB means little. I am not trying to be wet blanket, but if you want to know why there is a lukewarm response it is that. There wants were a time when winning a game was enough, then it was a winning record and getting into the playoffs. Now, it is all about playing in the SB.

-----
Part of the reason is the latent disrespect Drew Brees and the Saints have received mainly due not having more than one title. It's one of the many reasons the NFCCG still bothers me. Maybe we would have lost the SB but maybe we would have won and the Saints would have 2 titles under Payton and Brees. There are 12 QBs in NFL history to have won more than 1 SB.

All of these regular season wins are GREAT for the short term but without titles they ring more hollow. Now, if you ask me without winning a title, would you rather win or lose in the regular season, I will take winning every time. But the league wide and pundit dismissiveness and disrespect we've garnered can be argued to be warranted without titles. It sucks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom