13 on Netflix (1 Viewer)

I'm at a point where I can watch all kinds of troubling things as long as it's fiction - once it's a documentary, I just can't watch
Weird thing is that it's the opposite with podcasts - I want my podcasts to deep dive into the real world

I'm interested, but just how disturbing is it? I'm not doing too well right now due to a fair amount of orange anxiety. :no:

Not sure how much more disturbing news I can take.

I'm interested, but just how disturbing is it? I'm not doing too well right now due to a fair amount of orange anxiety. :no:

Not sure how much more disturbing news I can take.

More eye opening than anything. Really gets the grey matter working.

It was really good and sobering.

I love documentaries that put history into perspective. It also reminded me that sometimes things that have good intentions do not work out as planned, I do think the big Clinton crime bill was well intentioned as I do not believe Bill Clinton is at all prejudiced, and it was supported by people like Mayor Dinkins at the time. Some of the folks who pushed the war on drugs were also well intentioned.

Now other initiatives detailed in the film were clearly racially motivated. My hope is that we can stave off the recent voter suppression tactics by the right, and make sure disenfranchised folks can claim their right to vote. These issues will tend to work out as the makeup of the general population changes. America will be better for it, too.

Did anyone else watch this and wonder why they spent so much time focusing on the harsh and unequal treatment of convicts already incarcerated and made very little mention of accountability of committing the crime in the first place?
The documentary was well put together though

Did anyone else watch this and wonder why they spent so much time focusing on the harsh and unequal treatment of convicts already incarcerated and made very little mention of accountability of committing the crime in the first place?
The documentary was well put together though

The accountability is doing your time in a very punitive jail system. Depending on the crime, many of those punitive measures should not follow you out. Especially when we know most of those measures were meant to only increase profits and influence the electorate. Especially along racial lines when we know certain laws were designed to target certain groups for felonies and longer sentences.

Didn't this documentary lay allthese things out pretty clearly? If not I'd recommend the pre-cursor to this doc, Michelle Alexander's book "The New Jim Crow."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom