13 Years Later-A Breaking Bad Retrospective (1 Viewer)

That's really interesting, because i watched it years after it ended, and I thought was good, but not as good as the hype... and I am not planning on watching it again. :hihi:

Saw people mention it alot but never watched an episode and would simply be guessing if I tried to pick one of their characters out of a lineup.

If it weren't for the month of October (multiple airings of "Halloween" and some of the sequels) and The Walking Dead, I would probably have no reason to ever tune into AMC.

Dude people HATED Skylar
and quite often actors suffer blowback from ‘fans’ hating a character

Im not sure hate is the way I’d classify my feelings but I do generally loath the idea of smothering relationships and I felt it lent itself to Walters breaking bad. I mean the man didn’t just bend bad. The whole show was a downward spiral for him. While in contrast, Jesse was never a lawful character but he did have a moral code - and his constant struggles with going against that were key to the whole story. It wasn’t what they did that was as interesting as how each coped with it.

I think Skyler is gonna get a nice re-evaluation as the years go on. She, and the actress, were unfairly criticized.

I liked Skylar from the beginning. Even more the second time through.

Let me rephrase. In the earlier seasons, she was meh. But later when she starts doing crazy shirt, I liked her. Even during my first viewing. By the end of the series, I went from meh to liking her character.

Last edited:
Based on what?
kind of a vague question. on performance or taste? well, both.

after having watched deadwood, breaking bad, the flying movie with the guy who landed in the river (tom hanks), probably some other sheet, not a fan.

infact when breaking bad premiered, i cringed after seeing her (only wanted to watch bb because i loved hal). my least favourite character on deadwood. i hesitated to watch the movie because, after finding out she was in it, that killed my hopes and dreams.

she sucks the air out of everything.

i've damn sure watched too much of her to have earned the right for forming an opinion of dislike.

after having watched deadwood, breaking bad, the flying movie with the guy who landed in the river (tom hanks), probably some other sheet, not a fan.

infact when breaking bad premiered, i cringed after seeing her (only wanted to watch bb because i loved hal). my least favourite character on deadwood. i hesitated to watch the movie because, after finding out she was in it, that killed my hopes and dreams.

i've damn sure watched too much of her to form an opinion of dislike.

Well, I've never seen her outside of BB, so maybe that's the difference.

i've damn sure watched too much of her to have earned the right for forming an opinion of dislike.

So you've no theatre training to speak of?

so as i see it or talk about it - the protagonist is the person(s)/thing(s) the story is told through
then the antagonist is the one interrupting the story - in opposition
in simple terms, it's a hero story if the protagonist is doing more harm than good (opposite for the villain)

like in Streetcar Named Desire, Blanche is protagonist because she is our lens and is hero because she is (trying to) create a new life for herself
Stanley is antagonist bc he is on opposition to Blanche and villain bc he stops her from her heroes journey
BUT if Stanley was our protagonist, Blanche would definitely be villain

Walter starts as hero, but becomes villain when violates his hero journey (providing for his family) and sets off on a self-destructive path
I think the literary term for it is "antihero"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom