149th British Open (1 Viewer)

It’s unbecoming fir sure. But there has already been beer chugging, smoking golfers on tour so it’s not the worst.
Okay, but he also uses one of those long putters. I mean, THAT'S the worst, right?

Okay, but he also uses one of those long putters. I mean, THAT'S the worst, right?
That pretty bad. i forget who made that a trend. Either Chi Chi or Lee Trevino. I was just sure it was a fad like the yellow and orange balls. I worked at a golf shop in the early 90s and putted with one in the shop a lot but I never got it.

That pretty bad. i forget who made that a trend. Either Chi Chi or Lee Trevino. I was just sure it was a fad like the yellow and orange balls. I worked at a golf shop in the early 90s and putted with one in the shop a lot but I never got it.
Never having been a pro golfer but knowing what a mental game it is, I can't imagine how completely changing your club like that wouldn't also completely mess with your head.

And now we got a 3-way tie with 2 Americans and 1 South African!

Craig "The Walrus" Sadler...he's the one. :9:

Never having been a pro golfer but knowing what a mental game it is, I can't imagine how completely changing your club like that wouldn't also completely mess with your head.
I don’t think you will ever see a pro try it who isn’t a a poor putter or going through a horrible putting streak. The old saying “drive for show and putt for dough” will never be untrue so those guys will try anything. But the whole concept is to be able to “anchor” the top to your solar plexus making a pendulum. But being such a long pendulum means any microscopic error at the top, is magnified more at the bottom so benefit, if there is any, is cancelled out. But for those guys who can’t putt, it’s about finding confidence again, so in that regard, some times it works.

run on Mr Sentence, run on. 🏃‍♀️

I don’t think you will ever see a pro try it who isn’t a a poor putter or going through a horrible putting streak. The old saying “drive for show and putt for dough” will never be untrue so those guys will try anything. But the whole concept is to be able to “anchor” the top to your solar plexus making a pendulum. But being such a long pendulum means any microscopic error at the top, is magnified more at the bottom so benefit, if there is any, is cancelled out. But for those guys who can’t putt, it’s about finding confidence again, so in that regard, some times it works.

run on Mr Sentence, run on. 🏃‍♀️
My husband just calls it "cheating"

As to the use of the long putter professionally, it seems to have originated on the senior tour and trickled down to the PGA tour:

1983: Battling the yips and bad knees, Champions Tour player Charlie Owens begins using a 51-inch putter that he anchored to his sternum. He went on to win twice in 1986 using the putter, which he nicknamed 'Slim Jim.'

1987: Johnny Miller wins the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am using a 46-inch long putter, which he gripped normally but braced against his left arm.

July 1989: Orville Moody wins the U.S. Senior Open using a long putter. Previously one of the worst putters on the Champions Tour, Moody became one of the best almost immediately after switching to the long putter, sparking rumors the club may be banned.

August 1989: After nearly two months of debate, the USGA and R&A announce that long putters will continue to be permitted under the Rules of Golf. At the time, USGA executive director David Fay explained, 'Putting is a very individualized art form. To inhibit a golfer's individual style would take some of the fun out of the game.'

1991: Rocco Mediate wins the Doral Open, becoming the first player to win a PGA Tour event using a putter anchored to his sternum.

Here's the link to the quoted article:

As to the use of the long putter professionally, it seems to have originated on the senior tour and trickled down to the PGA tour:

Here's the link to the quoted article:

Yep I definitely remembered it starting there and it was quite popular there in a time that was kind of glory years for the Senior tour because all the great characters in the game had moved there. I never thought it would trickle over to the PGA but it show what desperation will do. And yips will definitely make you desperate.

Congrats to Collin Morikawa.

I was really glad Johhny Miller retired as a golf announcer, but if Paul Azinger hangs around NBC for a few more years he may approach being Johnny Miller bad.

Last edited:
Dat shirt tho. It's memorable ... but loud.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom