15 y/o comes out with new cancer screening. (2 Viewers)

Can we get a link to a real site?

worked for me, interesting and I also bet the government screws it up. They will make this cost 12000x more than it currently does still 14000x cheaper than the current method i guess.

The drug companies will make it cost more just to cover the liability of the 10% it does not catch. 90% success means 10% of the users will sue you for missing their cancer. Tort is one big factor in what makes things cost way more then they should in the medical field.

I'm sure big medicine and hospitals cant have this.

I'm sure they'll love to have it.

Why wouldn't they replace the current test that costs them....oh, about $5.00 apiece that they charge $10,000 apiece for.....with a test that costs them $0.003 apiece, and they charge $10,000 apiece for?

The drug companies will make it cost more just to cover the liability of the 10% it does not catch. 90% success means 10% of the users will sue you for missing their cancer. Tort is one big factor in what makes things cost way more then they should in the medical field.

if its advertised as 90% accurate, then the 10% dont have a case.

Sure, they can sue, but if they knew going into the test and using this equipment that there was a 90% success rate, then case will be summarily dismissed.

Now, if they advertise that this equipment is 100% accurate/success rate of detection, then you have a liability.

I'm sure they'll love to have it.

Why wouldn't they replace the current test that costs them....oh, about $5.00 apiece that they charge $10,000 apiece for.....with a test that costs them $0.003 apiece, and they charge $10,000 apiece for?

someone right now is amending the "chargemaster page" at every hospital. :ezbill:

if its advertised as 90% accurate, then the 10% dont have a case.

Sure, they can sue, but if they knew going into the test and using this equipment that there was a 90% success rate, then case will be summarily dismissed.

Now, if they advertise that this equipment is 100% accurate/success rate of detection, then you have a liability.

Weather your in the right or wrong a lawsuit is won by the aggressor in most cases. You have to pay a crap ton to defend yourself in the best case scenario you might win but are still out legal fees in most cases. You can try to counter sue for cost buts thats way down the road if you get anything at all.

One of my aquarium vendors was sued for LED patent over an aquarium. (PFO Lighting.) He threw in the towel at 500K in lawyer fees and went Bankrupt. Since then the company with the bogus patent lost the rights to it after another company sued them. PFO is still out of business, too bad they were a good company to deal with. Its a terrible system where the deepest pockets almost always wins. 500k for a light patent defense, now figure what it takes to fend off a wrongful death suit. Tort costs are a large portion of everything you buy in the medical field weather you like to admit it or not. They make obscene profits but loose obscene amounts on lawsuits all the time.

big medical will love this.

They dont profit from dead pancreatic cancer patients, they need to be able to detect it so they can treat it long term. currently they are way behind the ball on that one and im sure are thrilled to be getting a pipeline of new patients.

the test isnt the cash cow, its the revenue stream that follows diagnosis that makes them rich men.

Weather your in the right or wrong a lawsuit is won by the aggressor in most cases. You have to pay a crap ton to defend yourself in the best case scenario you might win but are still out legal fees in most cases. You can try to counter sue for cost buts thats way down the road if you get anything at all.

One of my aquarium vendors was sued for LED patent over an aquarium. (PFO Lighting.) He threw in the towel at 500K in lawyer fees and went Bankrupt. Since then the company with the bogus patent lost the rights to it after another company sued them. PFO is still out of business, too bad they were a good company to deal with. Its a terrible system where the deepest pockets almost always wins. 500k for a light patent defense, now figure what it takes to fend off a wrongful death suit. Tort costs are a large portion of everything you buy in the medical field weather you like to admit it or not. They make obscene profits but loose obscene amounts on lawsuits all the time.

your above example is an example of a lawsuit that isnt even close to what we are discussing originally. There is usually a request for "summary judgement"( or something similiar) something that is aked for to see if the suit has merit ( lawyers correct me if im wrong - but thats how i see summary judgement ) or get some sort of dismissal.

What was described in the original was claims brought against his company for falsely advertising the success rate of the pen. Thats something his insurance carrier would pick up ( with the proper coverage ) and he would only be responsible for his deductible.

I wont disagree that there are instances where the "deeper pockets" win out...this can be true in some cases. There are plenty in which the smaller guy wins out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom