17 game regular season (1 Viewer)

dvdman

All-Pro
Reaction score
It looks like the 17 game regular season may become a reality. I personally believe the more the better. In my opinion fans can never get enough of NFL football even with the horrendous officiating. I also do believe the new CBA will include expanded rosters.

with that causing certain teams to have an extra home game advantage over the other half of the teams. home field advantage does exist.
are they planning on having one game every week played internationally or at neutral sites to expand the fan base?

It looks like the 17 game regular season may become a reality. I personally believe the more the better. In my opinion fans can never get enough of NFL football even with the horrendous officiating. I also do believe the new CBA will include expanded rosters.

Do you have a link or something? Just speculation?

with that causing certain teams to have an extra home game advantage over the other half of the teams. home field advantage does exist.
are they planning on having one game every week played internationally or at neutral sites to expand the fan base?

Good question. I'd hope the roster expansion comes with it also.

I’m fine with a 17 game season. However, it has to include another bye week! I don’t want to watch back up players because there are too many injuries. In the NFL really cared about player safety, they don’t, it can’t be that difficult to figure it out!

Don't like the thought of a 17 game regular season for 2 reasons.

1) It is you going to make a season that is perfect in length too long. With that 17th game an extra bye week will be thrown in which will drag out the season. Also by the time week 16 hits im over the regular season. If the Saints are good I'm ready for the playoffs. Likewise if N.O is not doing well, ready for season to be done.

2) Its going to cheapen records. If a player namely a QB plays around 16 years that means they get in essence an extra season to their careers. That will unfairly give someone an advantage to break Drew Brees' Records.

But yeah sadly I see the season going to 17 games. It's all about the money grab

I can see 1 of each teams regular season games being played overseas so no one loses any home games. I think it's only fair.

Only if the Saints get an extra home game and the Giants lose one: 2005 (Saints lost one to Giants), 2008, Saints lost a home game to play in London, later the Giants played in London but did not lose a home game. I am that petty. I think Tuesday Morning QB mentioned it.

From a few articles I have read it is not if their will be a 17 game schedule but when it will start. It sounds like the players are willing to go to it but want to wait until 2023 while the owners want to start in 2021. I won't be at all surprised if it starts in 2022.

My question is what is the plan to determine who a team plays for the 17th game?

Last edited:
I think they obviously get it but I don't want it. Every games outcome is so critical for teams. It may only be one game but the weight of the games will change. And yes there will be more injuries without a doubt. And you can allow more players to offset this but 3rd string guys don't bring the star power. So how will the NFL offset it instead? By trying to make it safer and less violent. Let there be no doubt that what has made the NFL so popular to begin with was the violence. More penalties to protect stars anyone? Yea, but no thank you.

and they will say the fans want this. What more jet lagged player games? More games off a 4 day rest? Once again, no thank you.

I think they obviously get it but I don't want it. Every games outcome is so critical for teams. It may only be one game but the weight of the games will change. And yes there will be more injuries without a doubt. And you can allow more players to offset this but 3rd string guys don't bring the star power. So how will the NFL offset it instead? By trying to make it safer and less violent. Let there be no doubt that what has made the NFL so popular to begin with was the violence. More penalties to protect stars anyone? Yea, but no thank you.

and they will say the fans want this. What more jet lagged player games? More games off a 4 day rest? Once again, no thank you.

The league wants more money.... that's all this is about. I would rather they just focus on making the games cleaner and the refs more accountable. I do not want more games. I'd take less preseason, but not more regular season.

More money for the billionaire owners, more injuries for the players, more fatigue for fans.

Oversaturation and the needless expansion of the product is eroding the game from within. They better put in the "no touching the QB when he's behind the LOS" rule because the number of competent QB's is shrinking.

The league wants more money.... that's all this is about. I would rather they just focus on making the games cleaner and the refs more accountable. I do not want more games. I'd take less preseason, but not more regular season.

It's the players too. 55% of the revenue generated by the national media contracts goes towards the Salary cap.

It's the players too. 55% of the revenue generated by the national media contracts goes towards the Salary cap.

Just pay them more any way, they are the ones doing the work. The owners are taking advantage of them by holding money over their heads for allowing more games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom