17 out, wow!!! (1 Viewer)

CajunSaint08

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I was just looking on the injured reserve list for the Saints. Between Injured Reserve, Reserved-Unable to Perform, Reserve-Non Football Injury, and the Reserved-Suspended by Commissioner List, Saints have 17 players (half of them starters or serious playing time) not playing this year.

I know some participated some of the year or most of the year, but that seems like a lot of people to finish the season not playing. 13 of the 17 are on defense. And yet the defense is playing the best it has played all year. Dennis Allen was a huge pick up or return (depending how you want to look at it.)

Next year (injuries with standing) should be a very interesting year for the defense. Players have had to really step it up, so with the returning injured, plus the ones that have contributed severely at the end of the year, defense should be loaded.

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's a testament to the coaching staff on both offense and defense. This team get healthy and continue to build through the draft we should be ready to take a playoff spot next year....Next year if the proverbial year 3 for a rebuild or retooled team to come together.

football

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I was just looking on the injured reserve list for the Saints. Between Injured Reserve, Reserved-Unable to Perform, Reserve-Non Football Injury, and the Reserved-Suspended by Commissioner List, Saints have 17 players (half of them starters or serious playing time) not playing this year.

I know some participated some of the year or most of the year, but that seems like a lot of people to finish the season not playing. 13 of the 17 are on defense. And yet the defense is playing the best it has played all year. Dennis Allen was a huge pick up or return (depending how you want to look at it.)

Next year (injuries with standing) should be a very interesting year for the defense. Players have had to really step it up, so with the returning injured, plus the ones that have contributed severely at the end of the year, defense should be loaded.
Key is to be smart with who we keep, signed, resigned and let go.

dutar76

5th Year Option
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The arrow is definitely pointing up for the defense and the team as a whole.

The difference between this year and the past few years was the depth at every position on defense. DB and LB depth was tested for sure, but we managed. Good personnel decisions, draft and FA made this happen.

Guys like Harper, Kruger, Hills, Tapp, Webb, Moore, and John Phillips have kept the ship from sinking this year.

The 2014 and 2015 Saints couldn't even come close to overcoming the giant list of injured players we've had. This year we did. And I'm not getting sick of saying it... This was not a 7-9 or 8-8 team.

Very proud of our team and especially our defense. We're not there yet, but we're definitely getting there.

OP
CajunSaint08

CajunSaint08

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
The arrow is defiantly pointing up for the defense and the team as a whole.

The difference between this year and the past few years was the depth at every position on defense. DB and LB depth was tested for sure, but we managed. Good personnel decisions, draft and FA made this happen.

Guys like Harper, Kruger, Hills, Tapp, Webb, Moore, and John Phillips have kept the ship from sinking this year.

The 2014 and 2015 Saints couldn't even come close to overcoming the giant list of injured players we've had. This year we did. And I'm not getting sick of saying it... This was not a 7-9 or 8-8 team.

Very proud of our team and especially our defense. We're not there yet, but we're definitely getting there.
I know we can't start the season over, but if the team the Saints have now was just starting the season, I could see 12 plus wins easily. There is more confidence in the team that is finishing the season than began the season. More team continuity. I hope they can return the heart of the team that is finishing the season.

AgnesT

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
It's a testament to the coaching staff on both offense and defense. This team get healthy and continue to build through the draft we should be ready to take a playoff spot next year....Next year if the proverbial year 3 for a rebuild or retooled team to come together.
That can't possibly be. I thought our coaches needed to be replaced.

syracuse saint

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was watching yesterdays game and I was amazed at our secendary play considering that 4 of our 5 starting DBs were not playing. Westbank, Breaux, PJ Williams and Vaccaro out. Byrd was the only starter who survived. Great job to our DB coaches

JackT.

was Jake from State Farm
Reaction score
that is a lot of people not playing. that is a lot of positions being taken up by non starters. this is the reason I feel next year will be special barring a repeat of the injuries that this team sustained this season.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And Rankins has been out half the season also. Aren't Jordan and Fairley the only defensive starters to get all games so far this year?

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
That can't possibly be. I thought our coaches needed to be replaced.

Not just the Coaches, but Loomis, Brees, Ingram, Cooks, and I think I have even heard Benson mentioned due to the ownership succession doubt making it too hard to get top free agents to sign.

lapaz

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps the Virginia training camp helps us as the season progresses, but we have to find a way to start better. The team definitely looks much better now than at the beginning of the season, which doesn't make sense considering that most of starters are now hurt. The only addition is Rankins. Is it possible that we're that much better with Rankins?

wnelson

Who Dat Nation
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Byrd has been playing lights out for the last 6 or so games. I know we hate him but you gotta give credit when it is due.

krushing

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The bright spot is that we found some quality db talent off the street. Hopefully we continue to develop those guys

Pensacola

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I heard the announcers in yesterday's game say the Bucs have placed 19 on IR. So before anyone believes our accomplishments (overcoming injuries) are greater than other teams, or that next year we will have less injuries, lets find out what the league average is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom