#178 overall - New Orleans Saints poll (2008 "Experts" Mock draft) (3 Viewers)

With the #178 overall selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select . . .

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Paul Smith. He seems like the type of QB that Payton can mold into a very good player. I also like Jacob Hester and would love for the Saints to add him on draft day. But, for now, I got to go with Jack Ikegwuonu. He's a talented CB who had first round talent. The ACL injury was a major blow but this guy is a stud and I think spending a sixth for him is a solid low-risk/high reward move.

The CB from Wisconsin would be a steal, but Green-Ellis just sitting there...

Hard to wrong with either choice, though I think Green-Ellis contributes faster.

The fact that Palko stuck around over Jason Fife, stopped getting sent to the practice squad late last year, and they just signed a left handed vet backup/mentor who is the very personification of the highest hopes anybody could have for Palko.

I hadn't read to much into either of those. "Beating out Jason Fife" isn't the base criteria for being the QB of the future and I doubt Palko being left-handed played any part whatsoever in us signing Burnell. We extended a contract to Trent Green first who is very much right-handed. That's pretty irrelevant I believe.

I didn't see the Jimmy Smith chat though.

Please add Haruki Nakamura. The dude is a beast, he might be there in the 7th tho.

I really like Hester or Jack Ikegwuonu here also.

I chose Moffitt - he is a good ILB with good instincts.

Nick Hayden, Mike Gibson, or Zack Bowman were also high in consideration in my book

I hadn't read to much into either of those. "Beating out Jason Fife" isn't the base criteria for being the QB of the future and I doubt Palko being left-handed played any part whatsoever in us signing Burnell. We extended a contract to Trent Green first who is very much right-handed. That's pretty irrelevant I believe.

Both of those are very solid counterpoints, ones I've written about (in support of) elsewhere too. Yeah, of course it's not like Fife was anything great. But he was the incumbent, and that pretty much always counts. And I agree that Brunell wasn't their first choice. Obviously. But I'd be willing to bet that his left handedness, eventually, ended up becoming a selling point in his favor.

I'll grant that maybe "high on Palko" is too strong a description. It was the one that was given, so I went with it. But semantics aside, it seems pretty apparent that the Saints aren't going to spend any significant (or even potentially-semi-significant) resources looking for a maybe-but-probably-not 3rd string QB this year. They're happy with Der Kommissar right now and all indications that they're gonna roll with him until he either takes over at #2 or... well... doesn't, I guess.

I'll grant that maybe "high on Palko" is too strong a description.

They maybe. I honestly didn't know. I don't read all of the chats and articles, I was seriously asking if I had missed something. Apparently I had. I do know that i'm not high on Palko. I too wouldn't necessarily spend a high draft pick on a QB either (unless there was incredible value) but for a 6th rounder, I consider Paul Smith a potentially significant improvement. But that's just me.

Well I really wanted to take Ikegwuonu, but with McKelvin in camp and all the other bodies we have, he would just end up cut... If we hadn't picked a CB so early, I would LOVE to have him.

I had to go away from CB. SO! Looking at all the other guys up there... The one guy that was high in value was Mike Hart. I think he's going to be a stud and Stecker won't be here much longer and McAllister... well, I HOPE he's around for while, but who knows.

Man, what a stable of RBs. McAllister (for one or two more years?), Reggie, PT and Hart.

That's a 1-2-3-4 punch.

I honestly don't know enough about the majority of them, but I do know and like Arrington. Otherwise, I think I would have gone S.

I like Brian green Ellis...and now that I think about it, I should have voted for him. But, I went straight to looking at the corners Jack and Zack...Looking at this below...I went with Zack.

Jack Ikegwuonu
"Twin brother Bill played defensive back at Northern Illinois...In January of '08 during pre-draft training he suffered a catastrophic knee injury that included a dislocation, a torn ACL, and a partially torn MCL...Was arrested with his brother in November of '06 and charged with residential burglary and criminal trespass after allegedly breaking into an apartment and trying to steal an Xbox...He profiles as a zone corner at the next level..Could've been a 2nd or 3rd round pick at one point but with the legal troubles and his availability for the '08 season still up in the air he is likely to freefall on Draft Day.."

Zack Bowman
"Redshirted in 2006 after tearing his left ACL during fall practice...Seriously considered entering the 2007 NFL Draft, even though he had not played in over a year, before ultimately heading back to school for his senior season..Tore his right patellar tendon during spring practice in 2007...Has all the physical tools you look for, at least he did before all the injuries hit..If he can get back to where he was a couple of years ago some team could get a 1st round talent late in the draft...Low Risk / High Reward, Boom or Bust type who just might be worth taking a flyer on."

Christ people! Why are you trying to draft ANOTHER CB? Before this round we have Mike McKenzie, Usama Young, Randall Gay, Jason David, Jason Craft, Aaron Glenn, and DRC already! Why do we need another CB? Pick another position we need!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom