18 Regular Season Game and 2 Preseason Games (1 Viewer)

Are you a fan of the proposed 18 game schedule with only 2 preseason games?

• Yes - unconditionally

Votes: 21 14.1%
  • No way

Votes: 57 38.3%
  • Yes, but only with 16 games played per player

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Yes, but only if they also add roster spots

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I love preseason games too much to deal with losing any of those beloved games.

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure why have the discussion. It's probably already a done deal......the NFL will expand to 18 reg. season games in 2020.

Personally I'm all for it. Bring it on!!!! The more NFL, the better.

Conditions would need to be more roster spots, cap increase, another bye week and all records after the fact would need a big asterisk next them.

If Drew would have had 18 games a few years ago he would have thrown for over 6k yards ⚜️

As Saint Drago said more does not mean better with the N.F.L. It will result in a watered down product and less meaningful games. The last week of football is perfect except for a few games where a teams destination is settled. Adding another couple games will provide more meaningless games i.e Bengals vs Raiders.
As someone posted if my team is having a great year I'm ready for the playoffs to start. If they stink I'm definitely ready for the regular season to be done.
I think a play in game after the regular season between the 6th and 7th seed team in both conferences to get into the playoffs would be a good idea. It would ensure one more meaningful game each season and add more sizzle to week 17.

BUT, I do not want a shorter preseason. You’ll have more injuries, sloppier football for the first few weeks of the regular season, and have way less time to evaluate the bottom half of your roster.

Health coverage.
I dont think getting rid of 2 ps games would lead to any more sloppier pre season games than we already have. Currently starters play at most 1 qtr of the first 3 games then sit the 4th, so they get 3 qtrs of action. If they drop 2 they can play 3 qtrs of game 1 and sit the 2nd or do 2 & 1 and still get 3 qtrs of action. Plus taking 2 ps GAMES away doesn’t necessarily mean they take those 2 weeks of ps practice away.

Last edited:
An 18 game season would sure make the backup QB position interesting if
the starting QB has to sit out 2 games.

I dont think getting rid of 2 ps games would lead to any more sloppier pre season games than we already have. Currently starters play at most 1 qtr of the first 3 games then sit the 4th, so they get 3 qtrs of action. If they drop 2 they can play 3 qtrs of game 1 and sit the 2nd or do 2 & 1 and still get 3 qtrs of action. Plus taking 2 ps GAMES away doesn’t necessarily mean they take those 2 weeks of ps practice away.

I’m saying that taking two weeks of the preseason away would make the first two weeks of the regular season much more sloppy.

If you keep training camp just as long AND add two weeks to the regular season (even if you only play two games), you’re then going to have a harder time pitching it to players, because they’ve all basically taken a pay cut by increasing their hours worked without increasing pay.

Although not perfect I am in favor of maintaining the status quo.

In a perfect world, there would be fewer preseason games but the owners won't accept less revenue (ticket sales, concession sales,parking and TV revenue) associated with eliminating one or two of them. And the players won't accept increasing the number of regular season games without some monetary benefit to them to offset the risk of injury and a shortened football career. It's not worth a work stoppage to try to jam an 18-game season down the throat of the players.

The players can only dress in 16 games thing is ridiculously stupid, especially with the roster sizes and hard salary cap.

Being forced to sit some of your best players in games that matter is not, in any way, better than voluntarily sitting your best players in games that don't matter. Imagine missing the playoffs or the bye by a game or 2 because you couldn't play your best players? I get it that coaching staffs would take that into account and attempt to try so strategically pick the games certain players miss but I don't see how it helps. Also presumably it's not just stars that have to sit so in some games you'd be sitting rotational players and back-ups so they could feature in the game the stars weren't available which potentially leads to more usage for said star in that game than otherwise would've been. Now for a QB that's playing every snap sure that's not as big of a deal but for players at positions that take more routine beatings (d-lineman, linebackers, RB's, receivers) those extra plays could be career changers.

I think to even start the discussion, another bye week for all teams and expanded roster size needs to be a given. Probably should throw in ending thursday night football or at the least a guarantee that the TNF games are only scheduled after bye weeks. No more sunday - thursday set ups with the additional two games a season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom