1979 - Week 11 - NO at SF (1 Viewer)

CDThe1

Classic Games
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Nov. 11, 1979, week 11 of the season, the Saints come in at 5-5, hosting the 1-9 San Francisco 49ers.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GNUqNLvryjI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow. Lots of stuff to say about this one. It shows the late 70s Saints offense at its best, run and pass. I think this was the last time we beat Niners in the Dome with Joe Montana physically in the building during the Walsh/Montana era. (Yeah, this was the end of DeBerg's time in SF but rookie Joe can be seen on the sideline.) The rest of our wins were either on the road or someone else playing QB b/c he was injured. Also a bit haunting to see O.J. and AC Cowlings suited up for this one. Again, wow!

That was fun to watch... I remember that '79 season so well - it was the first year that I do remember watching football - I was 5. I remember getting an Archie Jersey for Christmas. My dad was a Raiders fan, so he didn't like getting me Saints stuff. LOL.

We had talent, but that O-line was so bad...

Pretty interesting game. You can see Bill Walsh's "West Coast" offense. It was good with the above average guys on offense. Most of the big defensive guys were not there yet. Montana's only action was on FGs. Dwight Clark plays a small role in the game. They talk up Nolan. Personally, I think he was not getting the most out of the offense even though the offense was most effective. Watching this game, the Saints look poised for improvements to be a dominant team, instead it would implode rather quickly.

---

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom