1989 - 49ers Vs Saints blown call video (1 Viewer)

OMG i felt the rage from that day all over again.... I HATED the 49'ers sooooo much, nothing like winning a game with the ref in your pocket. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

hmmn...I don't think it was Fourcade days. I think that was Hebert. I'm fairly certain that was our first loss after all those Cha-Ching victories.

But I could be wrong. That was a long time ago...

Hebert started in this game, he passed for 308 yards that day. Fourcade started the last 3 games of the year (and won all 3), after the Saints were eliminated from playoff contention (even though they had a winning record).

Because the team won all 3 games that Fourcade started, this gave the Saints leverage to not pay for Hebert's contract demands.

This game was from the 1989 season. The Saints were on a 3 game losing streak going into this game, which made the loss hurt even more. This game made them 1-4 to start the season.

The Saints started the season 1-4, but finished the year 9-7.

Last edited:
Can someone help me with this? We were on the verge of the playoffs with a win against the Giants or Skins. It was a phantom holding call on 3rd or 4th and short that pushed us back. Ultimately, this cost us the game and a spot in the playoffs. I know this is vague, but can anyone fill in the blanks on this one?

This should be on the list of one of the worst calls against us. I want to say that it was against the Giants but cannot recall. This was during the Dome Patrol era.

You might be thinking of 1988 (a season before the you tube video) when we went 10-6, and missed the playoffs. We lost to the Giants in the superdome 13-12, with Hostetler playing QB for the Giants. That was a big game we lost towards the end of the season. We started 7-1 that year, and missed the damn playoffs.

EDIT: Another interesting note about this Giants game. I will never forget on the post game Hap on "The Point After" (before Buddy D) called the Saints a "bunch of bums". :)

Last edited:
I was there, as well

I was in my last year at SLU, and could see that Rice fumble plan as day, I couldn't believe those refs blew that call.
The funny part about that video is seeing the Tulane name in the endzone. I couldn't believe they would split the endzones with the words Saints and Tulane, Ya' think that would happen today?

They also got lit up by such household names as Flipper Anderson and a week later by a Lions receiver whose name totally escapes me at the moment -but it was not Herman Moore back in '89.

As bad as David et al played, I've seen worse from the Saints secondary... the difference was, we didn't have such high expectations for the team back then.

During the Mora years, if the Dome Patrol couldn't generate a pass rush, then the secondary was toast -and it did happen (see the Dallas Cowboys game in '91, the Atlanta playoff game later that same year, which Michael Haynes just lights up Milton Mack)

AHHHH, yes.. Milton Mack, Dave Waymer, Toi Cook..................
now where'd I put my box of Treet blades..

They also got lit up by such household names as Flipper Anderson and a week later by a Lions receiver whose name totally escapes me at the moment -but it was not Herman Moore back in '89.

As bad as David et al played, I've seen worse from the Saints secondary... the difference was, we didn't have such high expectations for the team back then.

During the Mora years, if the Dome Patrol couldn't generate a pass rush, then the secondary was toast -and it did happen (see the Dallas Cowboys game in '91, the Atlanta playoff game later that same year, which Michael Haynes just lights up Milton Mack)

Against the Bears in '91, the Saints had Jim Harbargh something like 2-19 for 26 yards for 58 minutes, then it was skeleton drill time with Harbargh completing 3 in a row to win the game on a TD pass to Tom Waddle, 20-17.

Richard Johnson. I can remember watching that game on TV as a 6 year old and wondering who in the world this Richard Johnson guy was. If I remember correctly, Detroit had a backup QB in that game, Gagliano I believe.

That Chicago game was the worst. We were 7-0, and absolutely dominant. I think the team lost its edge when Floyd Turner broke his leg. He was one of their better players and the delay getting him off the field was pretty long. Gruesome injury as well. Tom Waddle...man I'd forgotten all about him.

I don't even remember this SF game though. I know I was there, but I don't remember it at all.

i was at that game as a kid. i think my relatives secretly wanted me to hate the saints, because we lost every home game i went to as a kid. most of them were 49ers games too. i used to leave the dome crying, saying i hated them.

A lot of fans are probably still doing that when leaving the dome.

Pretty obvious call even watching it at normal speed.

I remember after the loss Bradshaw saying the Saints were the best 1 and 4 team he had seen.

Hebert started in this game, he passed for 308 yards that day. Fourcade started the last 3 games of the year (and won all 3), after the Saints were eliminated from playoff contention (even though they had a winning record).

Because the team won all 3 games that Fourcade started, this gave the Saints leverage to not pay for Hebert's contract demands.

This game was from the 1989 season. The Saints were on a 3 game losing streak going into this game, which made the loss hurt even more. This game made them 1-4 to start the season.

The Saints started the season 1-4, but finished the year 9-7.

You talking about the Chicago game or the San Fran game in the video?

Whoa. Those were two of the worst calls I've ever seen. Terrible.

The field goal kick was a terrible call also. Your are supposed to say that the upright just keeps going all the way to the moon or wherever and if that is the case the ball would have hit the upright and been no good. I will never forget that call. They replayed it several times and the ball went straight over the middle of the upright.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom