1990 & 2002 Saints... Old School fans remember (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Most Old School Saints fans are not ready to give up on this year's team. That's because we remember the painful 2002 season where the Saints had a 9-4 record, with the last 3 games vs. teams with losing records.

Week 15 vs. Vikings (4-10)
Week 16 @ Bengals (1-13)
Week 17 vs. Panthers (6-9)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ozJAS9PLZTw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes, we had 2 of those 3 games AT HOME... and we choked big time!

We LOST all 3 games, and missed the playoffs. Let that sink in... we were 9-4, and tanked. Older WhoDats remember Coach Haslett being stubborn & bullheaded by NOT allowing Jake Delhomme to play in the final 3 games. This, despite the fact that Aaron Brooks' arm/shoulder was seriously injured. :mad:

Yet, look at a contrast in (edit: 1990) with the 2nd example...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Go back to the (edit: 1990) season, when Bobby Hebert decided to sit out a year in a contract dispute with the Saints. We didn't have much of an offense, but our defense (with the Dome Patrol) was lights-out!

In Week 13, we lost to the Cowboys and our record fell to 5-7. Things looked pretty bad. But then, the team won the next 3 of 4 to finish at 8-8 and captured the last Wild Card spot. During that team's last 6 games, the defense surrendered an avg. of 13.3 ppg!!! The point is: It could have been easy to give up. But the team didn't quit, and they made it to the postseason.

Our defense this season has been improving, despite the injuries. You never know what will happen, so let's hang in there.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oABnrDODnoE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:gosaints:

The Daunte Culpepper fumbled snap 2 point conversion to win the game :covri:

And Nick Luchey doing the Ickey Shuffle in Cincy..

I don't remember anything from the Panthers game.

2002 was the truest of the Haslett years

B7rhkWS.jpg

GREAT Post!!! I remember I was recording that Vikings game and when he fumbled the snap and still made the 2 point conversion I walked over to the recorder, ejected the VHS and proceeded to crack it into a hundred pieces I was so mad. That was the worst season and I think the season that Haslett refused to bench a clearly injured Aaron Brooks for Jake Delhomme.

This season stinks for different reasons. Our defense is improving, our offense had Drew, a decent line, and very solid receivers; but, our special teams has lost us 3 games directly and possibly 4 with that muff against Atlanta. They are just horrible to watch every time they take the field. This team could easily win every single remaining game, they are just as likely to lose every single remaining game - which make you think they will probably go 3-3. I'm always optimistic after I settle down (during the game every time we drop a ball or give up a first down I'm convinced we are the worst team that ever took a field ;) ).

I'm a fan so I'm stuck watching regardless and I'll still be hopefully until the day we are officially eliminated. Even if we were to make the playoffs I'm not sure this team is ready to win on that stage yet; but, that's OK. One thing is for sure though, Payton is the best coach for the team, Brees is the best QB, and with some upcoming cap relief the future looks bright.

The Daunte Culpepper fumbled snap 2 point conversion to win the game :covri:

Any time I feel bad about a loss, like yesterday, I always remember this and know that it could be worse. That was just horrible. Still though, the worst was the loss to the niners in 2011. We would have gone to the Super Bowl again.

Most Old School Saints fans are not ready to give up on this year's team. That's because we remember the painful 2002 season where the Saints had a 9-4 record, with the last 3 games vs. teams with losing records.

Week 15 vs. Vikings (4-10)
Week 16 @ Bengals (1-13)
Week 17 vs. Panthers (6-9)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ozJAS9PLZTw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes, we had 2 of those 3 games AT HOME... and we choked big time!

Go back to the 2000 season, when Bobby Hebert decided to sit out a year in a contract dispute with the Saints. We didn't have much of an offense, but our defense (with the Dome Patrol) was lights-out!

In Week 13, we lost to the Cowboys and our record fell to 5-7. Things looked pretty bad. But then, the team won the next 3 of 4 to finish at 8-8 and captured the last Wild Card spot. During that team's last 6 games, the defense surrendered an avg. of 13.3 ppg!!! The point is: It could have been easy to give up. But the team didn't quit, and they made it to the postseason.

Our defense this season has been improving, despite the injuries. You never know what will happen, so let's hang in there.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oABnrDODnoE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:gosaints:
Oooo, I memeber!

Member Hakeem dropped the ball?

Usually lost in the 2002 'membering is the fact that if the Saints had won out the last 3 games, they'd be 12-4, with a first round bye... which eventually went to that year's champions, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, whom the Saints swept.

In some nearby alternate universe, the Saints made it to the Super Bowl that year. I wonder how different history would've been if Haslett had that under his belt?

I was at that Panthers game. You could never forget it. The crowd was screaming for Jake. Brooks was so injured he couldn't throw ten yards down the field. The entire dome was ready to kill Haslett, it was hostile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go back to the 2000 season, when Bobby Hebert decided to sit out a year in a contract dispute with the Saints. We didn't have much of an offense, but our defense (with the Dome Patrol) was lights-out!

In Week 13, we lost to the Cowboys and our record fell to 5-7. Things looked pretty bad. But then, the team won the next 3 of 4 to finish at 8-8 and captured the last Wild Card spot. During that team's last 6 games, the defense surrendered an avg. of 13.3 ppg!!! The point is: It could have been easy to give up. But the team didn't quit, and they made it to the postseason

You're off by 10 years.

I actually enjoy watching this years team because I actually see player development and some future superstars like Cooks and Thomas. I love watching Hightower give it his all. We finally have an improving defense. We've been blown away in one game this year. It's a very competitive team. Old saints fans like me remember watching teams that couldn't even stay on the field with decent teams.

Man, do I feel old! I was a teenager when the Saints went to the playoffs in 1990 and was a offsides penalty away against the Bears from advancing to the second round.........someone refresh my memory, who was offsides on that play?

I became a serious fan in 2000. As serious a fan that an 11 year old could be. 2002 was devastating to my young self. I was actually playing the game at that point. From what I remember we were undefeated against teams with winning records and winless against teams with losing records. A real anomaly of a season. It came down to that last game against Carolina. Win and we are in. Period. We blew it and my animosity toward the Panthers started.

I hated the Carolina before I realized the depth of the Atlanta rivalry. I'm crushed I was [this] close in missing Bobby Hebert and the Dome patrol days. I was 10 years short of realizing the 49er/Saints rivalry over the years. The football my dad grew up with. As much as most of you will hate this, I am a 49er fan by heart, family and principal. But the Saints are my team. If anyone can remember a game where the 49ers let the Saints score to take the lead and the 49ers plan was to have more time to score but they failed, THAT was the game I discovered the Saints. This had to be the late 90's

I've turned out to be a graphic artist and marketing major. aesthetics played a big part in my affection for the Saints. Now its the cousine. Holy cow... I've learned to love the kitchen and everything food. New Orleans cousine is just ridiculous. Making gumbo is truly an inspiring and fulfilling experience.

To the OP's point, He's right. We've all said this team is different. It's young and hungry, but inexperienced. Although the script is turning out to be exactly the same so far, the NFL is volatile. We have the talent to be in every game and write new history.

(Side note) - Baseball fans. I wish New Orleans had a baseball team. (why not?) I reference the 2010 and 2012 SF Giants. Nicknamed "torture" because of how the team managed to be in every 162 games. Night after night pulling your hair out to see if they win. That's our team this year. Every game down to the wire

Man, do I feel old! I was a teenager when the Saints went to the playoffs in 1990 and was a offsides penalty away against the Bears from advancing to the second round.........someone refresh my memory, who was offsides on that play?

Robert Massey

I became a serious fan in 2000. As serious a fan that an 11 year old could be. 2002 was devastating to my young self. I was actually playing the game at that point. From what I remember we were undefeated against teams with winning records and winless against teams with losing records. A real anomaly of a season. It came down to that last game against Carolina. Win and we are in. Period. We blew it and my animosity toward the Panthers started.

Welcome young Jedi warrior Saints fan. You should start setting aside for your future. And starting as a Saints fan at age 11, it will be expensive. The formula developed over decades as a Saints fan is, "For every 2.5 years of Saints fandom = 1 year of psychotherapy and drug treatment." That's about $10,000 per year for treatment. Savings are important. Obamacare does not cover illness due to being a Saints fan.

If you delay going to shrinks, you risk alcoholism, drug addiction and greatly reduced length of life from heart attacks, strokes and high blood pressure.

But I wouldn't trade it for any other fan club in the world.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom