1993 - 49ers at Saints (1 Viewer)

CDThe1

Classic Games
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From September 26, 1993, week 4 of the regular season, the 49ers visit the Superdome. This is a great game, and was the fourth of a five game win streak to open the season.

<EMBED height=576 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=768 src=http://www.4shared.com/embed/117305592/42de1051 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Last edited:
I love how the fans are actually involved and they cheer as opposed to twhat we see now where you can barely hear the fans.

Is this the one with Bono at QB?

I love how the fans are actually involved and they cheer as opposed to twhat we see now where you can barely hear the fans.

No, Steve Young in the QB in this one. I love any game where you can hear the fans. It's much more exciting and gets the adrenaline going.

Have you been to a game live? If you are talking about watching it on TV, that is because tecnology has evolved since then and they filter and damper the crowd nose so the commentators don't have to compete with the fans when announcing the game.

I have this game on tape and watch it every off season to get pumped. There's a play in this game where Rickey Jackson bull-rushes the end and while tangled with the tackle he collapses the pocket and with one hand basically hooks Steve Young and DDTs him Jake the Snake style.
Love it.

Wow, two things about these Mora and Sidwell coached defenses was that they swarmed to the football, and they created turnovers. Something we haven't seen in years. But, my God, that offense was sad. Derek Brown? Brad Muster? Wade Freaking Wilson? You've got to be kidding me.

As good as Jim Finks was at getting tallent, he was equally good at driving tallent away, after he died it just one blunder of a personnel move after another.

Wow, two things about these Mora and Sidwell coached defenses was that they swarmed to the football, and they created turnovers. Something we haven't seen in years. But, my God, that offense was sad. Derek Brown? Brad Muster? Wade Freaking Wilson? You've got to be kidding me.

Brad Muster was actually pretty good at Chicago. When he went to the Saints he turned to another player.

Brad Muster had a hamstring that would not heal. Ever. Ended his career. This era was the end of the Dome Patrol. Pat Swilling and Sam Mills were gone. Pat had lost a step; Sam still had game. Vaughan Johnson was soon to fail an eyeball physical by Mr. Finks and would not return to the NFL. Bobby Hebert was in Atlanta. Mora eventually melted down, and there was a long desert until a small blip with Haslett and a great first season with SP.
The linebackers at that point were really missing Swilling and Mills. But even with Reynaldo Turnbull they were better as a group than we have seen since. I hope 3G can light a fire as advertised.

Just a thought... It's amazing that they went fifteen whole minutes without a commercial. It's nice to be able to watch the game with some sort of flow.

As good as Jim Finks was at getting tallent, he was equally good at driving tallent away, after he died it just one blunder of a personnel move after another.

Finks was a great GM until free agency started. He build the Saints up in the late 80's, but it was many of his GM blunders in the early 90's that led to those horrible seasons in the late 90's. The NFL had passed Finks by the time of his death. He was a dinosaur.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom