#1's in the draft (2 Viewers)

dutar76

7th year itch
Reaction score
A case can be made that we scored the #1 player at 3 positions in last year's draft. DT - Rankins, WR - Thomas, and S - Bell.

I want to do that again. Position of need or not. This year's #1's might look something like this. My picks to both be the best in class and possibly on our radar in bold.

QB - Trubisky, Kizer, Watson
RB - Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey
FB - Rogers, Stevenson
WR - Williams, Davis, Samuel
TE - Howard, Engram, Njoku
OC - Pocic, Elflein
OG - Lamp, Feeney
OT - Ramczyk, Robinson

S - Adams, Hooker, Peppers
CB - Lattimore, Jones, Humphry
OLB - Cunningham, Williams, McKinley
ILB - Foster, Davis, McMillan
DT - Allen, McDowell
DE - Garrett, Thomas, Barnett, Charlton

I expect Garrett and Thomas to both be gone by #11 and I believe Taco has a ceiling near Garrett's. Barnett is the safe bet though, just think Taco becomes an all-pro.

After year 1 we can't really say we got the best at all 3 of those positions. Michael Thomas wasn't considered the best WR prospect of last year's draft, but in year 1 he was. Rankins was considered the best DT prospect, but in year 1 he wasn't (Chris Jones was the best). Von Bell wasn't stellar in year 1, but I really don't think that was a very productive rookie class of safeties. Still if we want to look at what I would think could be our best chance of 3 first round talents, at positions of need, we'd go:

Marshon Lattimore, Takkarist McKinley (in this scenario he falls due to offseason surgery), and trade back up into the 2nd to get Jarrad Davis (who could also fall due to injury). It will never happen, but that's a scenario that I would weep tears of joy for.

After year 1 we can't really say we got the best at all 3 of those positions. Michael Thomas wasn't considered the best WR prospect of last year's draft, but in year 1 he was. Rankins was considered the best DT prospect, but in year 1 he wasn't (Chris Jones was the best). Von Bell wasn't stellar in year 1, but I really don't think that was a very productive rookie class of safeties. Still if we want to look at what I would think could be our best chance of 3 first round talents, at positions of need, we'd go:

Marshon Lattimore, Takkarist McKinley (in this scenario he falls due to offseason surgery), and trade back up into the 2nd to get Jarrad Davis (who could also fall due to injury). It will never happen, but that's a scenario that I would weep tears of joy for.

Well, I did say "a case could be made". :hihi: Very true that a one year sample isn't enough to crown the "best in class". But I saw enough from Thomas and little enough from the rest of the WRs drafted last year. Maybe Rankins and Bell are a little more hope than fact right now. Rankins breaking his leg muddles that up. And of course, we need to see what Bell can do when we're not starting 5th and 6th string CBs. I think our safeties were a little handcuffed last year because of that.

Lattimore would be my pick if we drafted today. I think he's the best CB and the best fit. With Garrett and Thomas gone early, I believe there would be more value in taking the best CB and coming back for a pass rusher in the 2nd.

What I would love to see is for us to do another 2016 where we get back in the 2nd round or possibly sneak back in the late 1st and take Taco.

Something like:
1st - Lattimore
1st - Taco
2nd - Davis or Samuel (Samuel has grown on me as a possible swiss army knife)

Neat way to evaluate last year's draft class. I think the team hit a home run last year, especially with those 3 picks.

Thomas is going to be mentioned with Julio, Antonio, and Odell by week 6 of next year.
Rankins had better stats in 1/2 a year (his rookie year, no less) than many other highly regarded 3techs and he will make a huge jump this year (and hopefully have some edge pressure funneling him an additional sack or 2).
Bell was absolutely the right player at the right position who had fallen far enough to trade up for. Byrd and Vaccaro have small question marks about their contract vs. production and Bell's ability and versatility allow the team to have some leverage.

Not even including Onyemata and his potential as a very nice SDE backup/interior pressure player and Lasco's possible potential (size/speed/burst) if he can get healthy.
This draft was a home run.

Neat way to evaluate last year's draft class. I think the team hit a home run last year, especially with those 3 picks.

Thomas is going to be mentioned with Julio, Antonio, and Odell by week 6 of next year.
Rankins had better stats in 1/2 a year (his rookie year, no less) than many other highly regarded 3techs and he will make a huge jump this year (and hopefully have some edge pressure funneling him an additional sack or 2).
Bell was absolutely the right player at the right position who had fallen far enough to trade up for. Byrd and Vaccaro have small question marks about their contract vs. production and Bell's ability and versatility allow the team to have some leverage.

Not even including Onyemata and his potential as a very nice SDE backup/interior pressure player and Lasco's possible potential (size/speed/burst) if he can get healthy.
This draft was a home run.

The Vaccaro / Byrd question really makes me wonder if we consider Adams or Hooker at #11 or Peppers if he falls to us in round 2. Hooker outs Byrd early and Adams may eventually be an upgrade to Vaccaro. Not sure how we'd fit both Adams and Vaccaro on the same field, but WOW if we could. The 3 safety sets we're using makes that a possibility maybe?

Vaccaro / Adams / Bell ???

The Vaccaro / Byrd question really makes me wonder if we consider Adams or Hooker at #11 or Peppers if he falls to us in round 2. Hooker outs Byrd early and Adams may eventually be an upgrade to Vaccaro. Not sure how we'd fit both Adams and Vaccaro on the same field, but WOW if we could. The 3 safety sets we're using makes that a possibility maybe?

Vaccaro / Adams / Bell ???

Adams should go top 5, but if he's there at 11 he's a must grab. We play Vaccaro close enough to the los/in the slot enough that Adams could stay on the field at the same time for sure.

Taco Charlton and Vonn Bell combine for a Taco Bell QB crunch.....Fiesta time!!!

Well, I did say "a case could be made". :hihi: Very true that a one year sample isn't enough to crown the "best in class". But I saw enough from Thomas and little enough from the rest of the WRs drafted last year. Maybe Rankins and Bell are a little more hope than fact right now. Rankins breaking his leg muddles that up. And of course, we need to see what Bell can do when we're not starting 5th and 6th string CBs. I think our safeties were a little handcuffed last year because of that.

Lattimore would be my pick if we drafted today. I think he's the best CB and the best fit. With Garrett and Thomas gone early, I believe there would be more value in taking the best CB and coming back for a pass rusher in the 2nd.

What I would love to see is for us to do another 2016 where we get back in the 2nd round or possibly sneak back in the late 1st and take Taco.

Something like:

1st - Lattimore

1st - Taco

2nd - Davis or Samuel (Samuel has grown on me as a possible swiss army knife)

I see a lot of people talking about Taco... I watched some videos of him and felt underwhelmed. Im not expert and am curious what you see in his play to rate him so high...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom