1st and 10 Segment (merged) (1 Viewer)

TheBigEasy99 said:
Just last year I can think of a few instances where he should have had a 4th quarter comeback and didn’t. In the game against the Bronco’s we were down 2 late in the game with the ball around our own 20 yard line. Drew easily led us downfield but when we got around the Bronco 30 yard line we ran 3 straight times and Gramatica shanked the field goal.

Same situation against Minnesota. Tied game Drew lead us into field goal range and the running game failed to convert a short yardage attempt for the 1st down. Gramatica, of course, missed again which gave the Vikings excellent field position. Gus Frerotte threw a long pass on 3rd and long and we got hit with a pass interference call setting up the chip shot game winner.

Against the Bears we were losing big in the 2nd half until Drew caught fire and led us back. We took the lead late in the game, but the defense gave it right back on a field goal with a few seconds left. The offense never touched the ball in the overtime as our secondary was once again hit with a long pass interference penalty that set up a short game winning field goal for the Bears.

Against Carolina Drew threw 3 (count ‘em, 3) 4th quarter touchdown passes to put us up 1 with about 3 minutes left. The secondary ended up giving up a long pass play to Steve Smith on a rainbow desperation heave from Delhomme that extended their drive and eventually led to a Panthers game winning field goal.

This was 4 instances just last year where Drew did what he had to do and the running game, kicking game and/or defense didn’t come through when called upon. Turn just 2 of those games around and we’re in the playoffs and Drew’s likely the league MVP.

Last offseason I posted this detailing 4 instances just last year that Drew should have had a 4th quarter game winning and drive and didn't because either the defense or kicking team let him down. Drew's had a few of those over the years. I remember in 06 we were down a score at Pittsburgh and Drew threw a strike into the redzone to one of our fringe receivers (Copper?) and he caught it and fell to the ground untouched and fumbled the ball, ending the game.

Drew’s had his moments in crunch time but it seems like every time he does someone else on the team chokes.

Brees led us on a "game winning" drive last season against Denver. It wasn't his fault that Grammatica shanked the "game winning" field goal. You can say the same thing about the Minnesota, Chicago and Carolina games. Brees led late 4th quarter drives to take the lead, only to have the defense give it away at the end. The question should be "how many times has he been in a position to mount at 2:00 minute game winning drive?" I don't recall that many opportunities with the Saints.

BigEasy beat me to it!

I love Brees, but this is a legit point and what separates Manning and Brady. Hopefully this is the year he changes that. And if he does, we really can make the SB.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Excellent point. The Eagles had hung close the entire game but when Brees started moving the ball you knew how this game was going to end. It was the most amazing clock management I've ever witnessed in my 30 plus years of watching football. I understand a bang, bang drive for the winning score in the final two minutes is exciting but a game winning drive that burns over half of the fourth quarter was far more impressive.

Well we did have a penalty go against us that helped with the time management.

the real question is how many times has he failed to lead a team to a game winning drive in the final 2 minutes...if he was never in such a position, then it's a meaningless stat...

Brees has also never led a game-winning drive on the 4th Sunday of October in even years that end in 8 in Pennsylvania at night in 40-degree, hailing weather with a full moon and his jersey torn. BUST

dammit, how is it that I searched "First and Ten" and "First Take" and this thread didn't show up? Sorry for the double thread guys....probably why I've been here 3 years and only have like 100 posts

I'm not going to play that here at work, but did he say Brees has NEVER done it?

I found this game from his 2nd season in SD. it's like the 6th game he ever started. Scroll down and look at the play-by-play on the last drive. Seems pretty clutch to me. Threw the winning TD with 19 seconds left.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20021...:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

Also, SD play-off game against the NY Jets in 2004. Brees led the team down the field to tie the game with 16 seconds left. Then he led them into field goal range in the OT, but Kaeding missed the kick. He never got the ball back.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20050...:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

Then there's games like this one, where they are icing the game with a FG late, which ends up getting blocked & returned for a TD. SO Brees then takes the team into the red zone, only to have Reche Caldwell fumble in the last minute.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20051...:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

Which of course, is eerily similar to of the Saints-Steeler game in 2006. We all remember Copper's fumble.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20061...:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

So,
a). He HAS done it, and...
b). There are MANY examples where he basically did it, only to have a teammate let him down.

So I don't find much validity to it.

On a related note: Is that guy Scoop Jackson across from Skip the most unwatchable guy on 1st and 10 or what? I don't think he can string together 3 coherent sentences and he always just ends up agreeing with Skip anyway. He makes that segment awful whenever he is on. Maybe I should e-mail the show...

Oh... and I think the 8 min drive in 06 with the heavy dose of Deuce should qualify.

I'm not going to play that here at work, but did he say Brees has NEVER done it?

I found this game from his 2nd season in SD. it's like the 6th game he ever started. Scroll down and look at the play-by-play on the last drive. Seems pretty clutch to me. Threw the winning TD with 19 seconds left.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20021...:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

Also, SD play-off game against the NY Jets in 2004. Brees led the team down the field to tie the game with 16 seconds left. Then he led them into field goal range in the OT, but Kaeding missed the kick. He never got the ball back.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20050...:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

Then there's games like this one, where they are icing the game with a FG late, which ends up getting blocked & returned for a TD. SO Brees then takes the team into the red zone, only to have Reche Caldwell fumble in the last minute.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20051...:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

Which of course, is eerily similar to of the Saints-Steeler game in 2006. We all remember Copper's fumble.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20061...:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

So,
a). He HAS done it, and...
b). There are MANY examples where he basically did it, only to have a teammate let him down.

So I don't find much validity to it.

Pulling up games from Brees days as a Charger does not help his case when it comes to this. How many games are in a season? Drew has played in 111 games and you find 4 games that are considered game winning drives? It's a stat that none of us can argue so lets just hope that he comes through if he has to mount some of these drives in the future.

It's quite the odd lil stat. I remember in the Aaron Brooks years, how the stat overlays would have Brooks in the top of the list of 4th quarter comebacks right there with Tom Brady.

Is it the measure of a great quarterback? Sometimes. Does doing subpart in that indication of not being as good as advertised? Not in the slightest.

It isn't like Brees has a ton of situations where we were in position to win the game on a drive and Brees threw an interception or we fail to move the ball at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom