1st and 10 Segment (merged) (2 Viewers)

In the 2008 season he led several late-game comebacks. We lost each time due to the defense's inability to stop the opponent. If anything, he has led comebacks in which we scored too quickly and left the other team with time remaining. jayd265 sums it up pretty well.

thats because we're always winning :)

either that, or for the last 3 years he put us in the lead and the defense just let the other team march down the field... a few games last year remind me of that...

washington
denver (i think the D just gave it up after a blown call)
minnesota was a rough game all around
chicago
carolina (steve smith catch between harper and david...)

Exactly

I was going to say this also, but it was an 8-minute drive not a 2-minute drill comeback.

Yeah... it was still a "game-winning drive" nonetheless.

Lets hope that we're not losing in the 4th so that Drew won't have to orchestrate a game-winning drive" :9:

The distinction was made between a 2-minute game winning drive and a game winning drive. That means that if Brees led a 2:01 minute winning drive, it wouldn't count. It's a meaningless statistic because the time frame is arbitrary. Personally, I'd rather have a 45-13 blowout.

Eagles game (reg season) 2006... 8-minute drive to win the game.

Excellent point. The Eagles had hung close the entire game but when Brees started moving the ball you knew how this game was going to end. It was the most amazing clock management I've ever witnessed in my 30 plus years of watching football. I understand a bang, bang drive for the winning score in the final two minutes is exciting but a game winning drive that burns over half of the fourth quarter was far more impressive.

Eagles '06...thanks guys, my whole life has been a drunken blur so I couldn't remember. :) I knew he had at least 1 with us. And yes, the 2:00 thing is arbitrary, but still kinda surprising to me.

The distinction was made between a 2-minute game winning drive and a game winning drive. That means that if Brees led a 2:01 minute winning drive, it wouldn't count. It's a meaningless statistic because the time frame is arbitrary. Personally, I'd rather have a 45-13 blowout.

The 2:00 minute drive is the clutch drive and it's the reason that most football analyst say Manning and Brady are elite and Brees is in the next class of QB's. Brees dominates in every aspect of the game except the game winning drive. Rather it be because of our defense or just our inability to finish games on offense those numbers are what they are. Its PART of the reason we lost six games last year by less than three points. I would not go as far as saying that it is a meaningless stat because it is a stat that equal wins and superbowls. See Ben Roethlisberger or Brett Farve.

Did anyone catch First Take yesterday? They had a segment asking whether you would want Breesus or Eli in a clutch situation. Everyones favorite devil's advocate, Skip Bayless, said that Brees had never led a game winning drive in the last 2 minutes or something to that effect. I find that hard to believe....anyone know fo sho? And now the obligatory....I don't have a link and i searched extensively and didn't see this in another thread.

I didn't see the piece, so I don't know what Bayless said, but one stat that the talking heads like to point out is that with the Saints, Brees hasn't won a game where we trailed heading into the 4th quarter. This of course ignores the games where we led going into the 4th quarter, then fell behind, but then came back and won (for instance, Tampa and Atlanta home games in 2008).

Who comes up with this bull ****? Who cares? Maybe he was never put in that sutuation...Talk about trying to come up with something...

Who comes up with this bull ****? Who cares? Maybe he was never put in that sutuation...Talk about trying to come up with something...

if he was number one in that situation, we'd all be yapping about it constantly. there is no shame in pointing out the truth, and the truth is that as a saint, brees has never lead a comback 4th quarter drive in the last two minutes

like it or not, it is one of the measures used to "rank" greatness in a QB

Did anyone catch First Take yesterday? They had a segment asking whether you would want Breesus or Eli in a clutch situation. Everyones favorite devil's advocate, Skip Bayless, said that Brees had never led a game winning drive in the last 2 minutes or something to that effect. I find that hard to believe....anyone know fo sho? And now the obligatory....I don't have a link and i searched extensively and didn't see this in another thread.

I watched the show twice & you have to understand that Skip Bayless statement, while true from a statistic view, doesn't really mean anything, he even said in his statement that one could argue that he has never had that opportunity, which means that all the games the Saints have won, none have come down to them being behind under 2 mins & Brees drives for the win.

So freaking what? That's like saying Brees has never ran for game winning TD, so what.

Skip & those guys have to look for any obscure stat they can find to make an argument for their show, think about, what does that stat really mean, it certainly doesn't mean they Saints can't win, in fact it says the opposite about their 4th quarter play, that they usually win before the last 2 mins, so it's just a stat that was used to make some kind of stupid point so he could have a segment on the show.

And this was the only stat that Skip could find so he could say he predicts the Giants to win, because he saw Eli do that more than once, so what, that was because of the circumstances of the games they were in, it doesn't mean anything, it's a TV show.

if he was number one in that situation, we'd all be yapping about it constantly. there is no shame in pointing out the truth, and the truth is that as a saint, brees has never lead a comback 4th quarter drive in the last two minutes

like it or not, it is one of the measures used to "rank" greatness in a QB
If you're a great QB, you should never have to be in that situation...

He has led us down the field in short amounts of time to take the lead at the end, only to have our defense give it back with less than two minutes left several times. Let them talk, now that we have a defense, he'll get some game winners and they won't be blown this year...count on it.

To the grumpy old man....try substituting milk instead of your usual urine in your corn flakes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom