2:00 Time Management (1 Viewer)

AZ WhoDAT

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Hey Guys.
I told myself I wouldn't care if we won or lost the game at halftime. That was one of the best Saints comeback profomances ever! Bush's leap was simply amazing! It is great to see the Saints playing so well.

The one thing I couldn't understand, was the last 2:00 of the game. We need 7, but it seemed like we were tring to score with no time left.

The first play after the 2 minute warning was a run that lost 30 seconds? What?

Then Brees scrambles for 12 yards to get the first down with 54 seconds. Why wouldn't you use the last time out here? It makes sense, get the offense set. Give Brees a breather and not waste 22 more seconds.

The Saints ran 4 plays in 1 minute 30 seconds

I know how important it is to savor the last time out, but it almoist felt like were playing to lose by running out the clock. Sounds like we lost confidence in the defense to give up a field goal at the end.

Again, No complaints about the game, just found the last two minutes offense kind of odd.

Last edited:
I think they thought they had time. I noticed several times, such as the end of the first half, they weren't taking time outs but instead trying to force tempo, keep the defense on its heels and sucking wind. I think we had enough time to tie the game up in the end if Copper holds on to the ball.

It felt like Payton was playing for the tie and to end the game with almost no time left and put it in the hands of chance with the coin toss in OT. Which, I think we drive down the field and win easily, if it worked out. The way the D was tuckered out, I don't think he wanted to leave more than 30 seconds or so for Big Ben to drive for a win. The fumble ended all hope of that scenario playing out.

Sean was following the similar strategy they used for the Eagles...

Second half, our defense was stinking it up, so you play to give only yourself a chance to win in regulation (2 point conversion attempt?) or go to Overtime.

If we chew up all the time and score, those would have been the only options, and it would have kept Pittsburgh from getting on the field.

So I have no problems with the 2:00 drill this game.

Considering where Copper was with last final turnover and how much time was left, I'd say we were pretty much doing what we needed to do.

I enjoy watching the Saints clock management these days. It seems that they just know not only how to score, but even when to score! :9:

I really didn't have a doubt we were going to score. The Saints would have used the time out on Copper's reception with around 30 seconds left.

With 30 seconds left, no time out and at the 20 yards line. This allows four plays that need to be inzone plays or sideline plays. I just thought moving the down the field using the sideline would have came quicker then this.

Sean was following the similar strategy they used for the Eagles...

Second half, our defense was stinking it up, so you play to give only yourself a chance to win in regulation (2 point conversion attempt?) or go to Overtime.

If we chew up all the time and score, those would have been the only options, and it would have kept Pittsburgh from getting on the field.

So I have no problems with the 2:00 drill this game.

I think you hit it.. the way we were moving the ball, i'd have done that.

In a round about way; poor clock management also stems from the head coach making very poor challenges.

How many times this years has Peyton made simply horrible challenges that are clearly not going in our favor? That is either his fault or he is getting very bad advice from upstairs.

In a round about way; poor clock management also stems from the head coach making very poor challenges.

How many times this years has Peyton made simply horrible challenges that are clearly not going in our favor? That is either his fault or he is getting very bad advice from upstairs.

I have no real proof, but I got the impression on the bush challenge that he was trying to calm the team and the fans down by wasting time. So much for that.

without even a sip of the Kool Aid.....Drew Brees is the only person in the NFL right now I would want running my 2:00 drill......what a gamer.

It felt like Payton was playing for the tie and to end the game with almost no time left and put it in the hands of chance with the coin toss in OT. Which, I think we drive down the field and win easily, if it worked out. The way the D was tuckered out, I don't think he wanted to leave more than 30 seconds or so for Big Ben to drive for a win. The fumble ended all hope of that scenario playing out.

Exactly, I had a slight feeling that Payton may have went for the 2 point conversion, although that was probably just my imagination talking......I think the strategy was the right one, take the ball down the field, one drive, one score and more then likely send it into overtime, we were doing just that when Copper fumbled at what the 20?? I think we had 2 timeouts left also, plenty of time to strike into the endzone......

for the people who complain about his challenges you have to realize he has not enough time to consult upstairs. Whenever it is a close play the opposing offense always rushes to the field to snap the ball so u have to go on ur eyes on most challenges

I think they thought they had time. I noticed several times, such as the end of the first half, they weren't taking time outs but instead trying to force tempo, keep the defense on its heels and sucking wind. I think we had enough time to tie the game up in the end if Copper holds on to the ball.

i totally agree

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom