[MERGED] 2 Minute Defense (1 Viewer)

It seems like everytime no matter how talented the team has been the Saints D gives up the lead if it's a close game very late.

Good D coordinators make sure most of those leads stay safe.

The notion of Allen being a good coordinator is false. The past 5 years he has had talented defenses and has only done good and not great things with it.

Jesus Christ. Yes, Allen is a trash HC, but he was a far better DC than Ryan ever was.

Ryan had one year of success in 2013 (4th in points and yards) before falling back down to earth in 2014 (28th in points and 31st in yards). He then followed up that putrid performance with another in 2015 that led to his dismissal. The 2013 season was the outlier, not the two years he had bottom of the league defenses.

How many times under Allen (DC or HC) has the defense failed to come up with a stop? Does anyone have the stats on this?
A lot. Cost us three playoff games alone. His schemes are just bad in the lat 2 mins. Most teams willmplay 3 DL and 8 DBs. Not DA: 4 DL, 1 LB and 6 DBs.
There wasn’t even a Safety in the picture on the Adebo PI. Where was the 2 deep Safety over the top?

I'll give him credit for putting together a good D (until the last 2 minutes of either half).

How many games our great D ultimately blow?

I won't even go to games we probably choked on D in 2015-16.

Let's start with 2017.

2017 - Everyone remembers the Minneapolis Miracle, but forget that we were sooooo close to choking against the terrible Panthers. They literally dropped a Hail Mary or we don't even make it to Minnesota.
2018 - No Call game. Last two times Rams get the ball, they score.
2019 - Crap arse Vikings go straight down the field in OT for the win.
2020 - I'll give him a pass here. This is was all on Jared Cook
2021 - We make the playoffs if we can stop the sorry arse Giants in OT. But nope, straight down the field first drive for the win. Or how about giving up 64 yards in the last minute to Cordarelle Patterson to blow the Falcons game?
2022 - To many f ups to mention.

The myth that Allen was some great DC annoys me. He had top 5 talent and still managed to choke games away. For every clutch defensive stand, we wilted 3 times.

Bad hire. I wouldn't even want him back as secondary coach.

Eh. I want him out of here as fast as the next guy but to me he's a very good DC. Losing him in that aspect will suck because this D has been pretty good under him. Even this year, they've been good. They've just dealt with an offense that has an inability to close games out.

Eh. I want him out of here as fast as the next guy but to me he's a very good DC. Losing him in that aspect will suck because this D has been pretty good under him. Even this year, they've been good. They've just dealt with an offense that has an inability to close games out.
Let’s put it this way, he’ll get another job as NFL DC so he’s not atrocious there.

Jesus Christ. Yes, Allen is a trash HC, but he was a far better DC than Ryan ever was.

Ryan had one year of success in 2013 (4th in points and yards) before falling back down to earth in 2014 (28th in points and 31st in yards). He then followed up that putrid performance with another in 2015 that led to his dismissal. The 2013 season was the outlier, not the two years he had bottom of the league defenses.
It's been documented that Payton interfered with 2014 and it continued into 2015. So the only year that Ryan had control was 2013.

It's been documented that Payton interfered with 2014 and it continued into 2015. So the only year that Ryan had control was 2013.
I’m aware of Payton’s desired shift to a “Seattle-esque” defensive scheme, however that doesn’t excuse Ryan from his defense dropping from top-5 to bottom-5 in just one year.

In 2015 his defense was the worst in the league in points (29.8 ppg) by far, surrendering 28 more points (essentially a full game’s worth) than the Jaguars who had the 2nd worst defense that year. The Browns (29th) and Titans (27th) who were both 3-13 that year BOTH had defenses that gave up less points than Ryan.

And honestly if he wasn’t fired after the Redskins game and was allowed to finish the season, his defensive totals would’ve even been far worse considering we allowed 31.5 ppg in the 10 games before he was fired and 26.8 ppg in the 6 games after he was fired.

I loved Ryan his first 2 years, but it was clear in 2015 we weren’t going anywhere with him.

Jesus, why are we bickering over Rob Ryan in 2022? Let’s direct our anger at the person that actually deserves it: that pile of mush in the Saints visor with the red Sharpie on it. 😂

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom