[MERGED] 2 Minute Defense (1 Viewer)

How many times under Allen (DC or HC) has the defense failed to come up with a stop? Does anyone have the stats on this?
You don't have to look at the stats. The defense was on the field too long. Once Tampa had gotten the momentum, all it took was going hurry up to wear our defense down. Again, they did an admiral job up until they were too tired to do anything about this game.

Jesus Christ. Yes, Allen is a trash HC, but he was a far better DC than Ryan ever was.

Ryan had one year of success in 2013 (4th in points and yards) before falling back down to earth in 2014 (28th in points and 31st in yards). He then followed up that putrid performance with another in 2015 that led to his dismissal. The 2013 season was the outlier, not the two years he had bottom of the league defenses.
You would fall back to earth too if you have someone looking over you shoulder like DA. SP destroyed any chance Ryan to be successful when he brought DA back.

• 1Like
Reactions: mcg
You would fall back to earth too if you have someone looking over you shoulder like DA. SP destroyed any chance Ryan to be successful when he brought DA back.
DA didn’t get hired back on until January 20th, 2015, AFTER Ryan’s 2014 defense posted these rankings:
  • 28th in points allowed (26.5 ppg)
  • 31st in yards allowed (384 ypg)
  • 28th in takeaways (17)
  • 28th in first downs surrendered (345)
  • 25th in passing yards allowed (4019 yards)
  • 29th in rushing yards allowed (2125 yards)
  • 28th in rushing TD allowed (17)
  • 31st in YPC (4.8 YPC)
  • 30th in red zone TD % (62.7%, 32 TD on 51 attempts)
In short: they bent, they broke, and couldn’t get off the field.

You can’t put up numbers like that and expect to retain free reign over your unit, no matter how good your defense was in previous years. It also didn’t help his case his 2015 defense then put up even worse numbers.

Again, I was all aboard the Rob Ryan train, but that’s not a hill I would want to die on trying to defend. 😂 First year was a damn fun ride, but it broke down the subsequent years.

DA didn’t get hired back on until January 20th, 2015, AFTER Ryan’s 2014 defense posted these rankings:
  • 28th in points allowed (26.5 ppg)
  • 31st in yards allowed (384 ypg)
  • 28th in takeaways (17)
  • 28th in first downs surrendered (345)
  • 25th in passing yards allowed (4019 yards)
  • 29th in rushing yards allowed (2125 yards)
  • 28th in rushing TD allowed (17)
  • 31st in YPC (4.8 YPC)
  • 30th in red zone TD % (62.7%, 32 TD on 51 attempts)
In short: they bent, they broke, and couldn’t get off the field.

You can’t put up numbers like that and expect to retain free reign over your unit, no matter how good your defense was in previous years. It also didn’t help his case his 2015 defense then put up even worse numbers.

Again, I was all aboard the Rob Ryan train, but that’s not a hill I would want to die on trying to defend. 😂 First year was a damn fun ride, but it broke down the subsequent years.
When the story came out on what really happened, I believed it because it made perfect sense. After the 2013 season, I thought we were on our way to having a Super Bowl season, along with another great defense. After watching the first game against the Falcons I knew something was off.
I believe we also gave up nearly 500 yards passing or more in that game. Continuing to watch the next few games, the defense started to remind me of the 2012 defense coverage wise, which brought back nightmares. So it was obvious that the scheme was changed but I couldn't figure out why.
I was all on board with kicking RR right out of town. That year was a disaster and pretty hard to watch along with the head scratching question...Why.

After finally moving on from RR and the interview came out, it made sense as to what happened. Before the interview came out, a year earlier I spoke with a player and the most he could say was "It wasn't Rob's fault". I don't know much Rob is like his father, but if Mike went to Buddy and told him to switch up the defense, i'm sure that convo wouldn't have ended well.

Payton is a great coach, but what he did after the 2013 season ended had set us back 3 years. At least those 7-9 seasons were better than what we're watching now.

I'll give him credit for putting together a good D (until the last 2 minutes of either half).

How many games our great D ultimately blow?

I won't even go to games we probably choked on D in 2015-16.

Let's start with 2017.

2017 - Everyone remembers the Minneapolis Miracle, but forget that we were sooooo close to choking against the terrible Panthers. They literally dropped a Hail Mary or we don't even make it to Minnesota.
2018 - No Call game. Last two times Rams get the ball, they score.
2019 - Crap arse Vikings go straight down the field in OT for the win.
2020 - I'll give him a pass here. This is was all on Jared Cook
2021 - We make the playoffs if we can stop the sorry arse Giants in OT. But nope, straight down the field first drive for the win. Or how about giving up 64 yards in the last minute to Cordarelle Patterson to blow the Falcons game?
2022 - To many f ups to mention.

The myth that Allen was some great DC annoys me. He had top 5 talent and still managed to choke games away. For every clutch defensive stand, we wilted 3 times.

Bad hire. I wouldn't even want him back as secondary coach.
This. it doesn't matter how great you are in the first 58 minutes. If your last 2minutes are crap, well then your not that good of a coordinator.

just wait until the philly game.

we might not get any stops the entire game and i'm putting money on them rushing for 3bills this time around.

You don't have to look at the stats. The defense was on the field too long. Once Tampa had gotten the momentum, all it took was going hurry up to wear our defense down. Again, they did an admiral job up until they were too tired to do anything about this game.
Too tired is a lame excuse. Make a stop and you get off the field. Pretty simple.

When the story came out on what really happened, I believed it because it made perfect sense. After the 2013 season, I thought we were on our way to having a Super Bowl season, along with another great defense. After watching the first game against the Falcons I knew something was off.
I believe we also gave up nearly 500 yards passing or more in that game. Continuing to watch the next few games, the defense started to remind me of the 2012 defense coverage wise, which brought back nightmares. So it was obvious that the scheme was changed but I couldn't figure out why.
I was all on board with kicking RR right out of town. That year was a disaster and pretty hard to watch along with the head scratching question...Why.

After finally moving on from RR and the interview came out, it made sense as to what happened. Before the interview came out, a year earlier I spoke with a player and the most he could say was "It wasn't Rob's fault". I don't know much Rob is like his father, but if Mike went to Buddy and told him to switch up the defense, i'm sure that convo wouldn't have ended well.

Payton is a great coach, but what he did after the 2013 season ended had set us back 3 years. At least those 7-9 seasons were better than what we're watching now.
Bottom line SP play with the system and the scheme because his friend DA and it change everything. One thing I respect is the Ryan said it how it is. From his father Buddy to this brother.

Bottom line SP play with the system and the scheme because his friend DA and it change everything. One thing I respect is the Ryan said it how it is. From his father Buddy to this brother.
I remember during the 2014 season, we use to see some arguments take place on the sidelines. It would have been interesting to get a mic over there and hear what they were saying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom