2 offseason moves i'm predicting... (1 Viewer)

Bak2ThaLab

draftaddict
Reaction score
historically, if we look at some of the tendencies in decision-making of administration (Payton and Loomis) as well as some of the current issues mentioned by Payton regarding off-season evaluation I would have go with:

1. We trade with the New York Jets (likely a fourth round pick) for MLB Jonathan Vilma. Of course this is based on the Saint's doctors evaluation of his long-term health (a la Drew Brees). We've seen over the course of the past two seasons that Loomis likes to trade mid-to-late round draft picks for veteran help (Jeff Faine, Hollis Thomas, Jason David, Olindo Mare). He also admitted that during the draft in the year Vilma and D.J. Williams came out, that they were desperately trying to get one of the two. Vilma's weaknesses were exposed playing in a 3-4 DEF, but I believe he would be a better, more productive fit in the 4-3 (just look at Fujita's history in previous defensive schemes - Dallas ran a 3-4 - Fujita wasn't nearly the playmaker he was in Kansas City, which ran a 4-3).

2. With the 10th pick, if he's still on the board, we draft Kenny Phillips. Payton already mentioned as a part of offseason evaluation of the team, that one of the biggest keys is fixing our propensity to give of the big play. We can rightfully blame Fred Thomas and Jason David for whiffing on may of those big plays, but Josh Bullocks and, to a certain extent, Roman Harper have consistently been out of position in their coverage assignments. They've consistently taken the wrong pursuit angles in trying to track down the wideout once he makes the catch. Moreover, as we've seen a couple of seasons ago in particular, Payton has a tremendous affinity for having mutiple safeties on the roster (wasn't it a couple of years again we had like 7 of them). Kenny Phillips is not quite the playmaker of an Ed Reed or Sean Taylor, but to their credit the U's defense as whole in those years was much better. I think Phillips is more the intelligent, ball-wak cover safety we thought we were getting when we draft Bullocks.

I have heard that the draft is deep with LBs. I am not sure that we'd trade a pick for Vilma. I'd like to have a young vet, but I wonder if we'll just go to the draft a future starter. Phillips would be nice as a first pick.

The Saints have shown a willingness to repeatedly gamble on injuries, so Vilma does fit the MO to a certain extent.

They've also been burned a number of times by that, so it's also entirely possible they're finally getting gun shy about it.

id be ok with both of these, though if we dont get Vilam, the 10 pick has to be an impact, play now, defensive rookie if the year type LB

If we do trade for Vilma, I bet it would cost us more than a 4th... Maybe a conditional 4th that could become a 3rd if he reaches certain stats or something.

I have heard that the draft is deep with LBs. I am not sure that we'd trade a pick for Vilma. I'd like to have a young vet, but I wonder if we'll just go to the draft a future starter. Phillips would be nice as a first pick.

Vilma is still on his rookie contract. We do need to draft some LBs, but if Vilma is available, I would jump on it. And I'm all for Kenny Phillips. We have lacked a true ball hawking/hard hitting safety since Sammy Knight left. I think he is going to be a monster in this league.

Vilma is still on his rookie contract. We do need to draft some LBs, but if Vilma is available, I would jump on it. And I'm all for Kenny Phillips. We have lacked a true ball hawking/hard hitting safety since Sammy Knight left. I think he is going to be a monster in this league.

I think if Sedrick Ellis or Laurinaitis is there we pick one of them, but I think K. Phillips could do wonders for our secondary. Look at the safeties on some of the top defenses: Sanders at Indy, T. Polamalou Pitt, Rodney Harrison NE, Deon Grant has helped out SEA, and rookie Reggie Nelson led the Jags with 5 INTs.

Hopefully, we can also sign a starting DT in free agency to put pressure on the QB. There will still be some talented LBs and DBs available in the 2nd round too.

I just dont think spending a top ten pick on a safety is a good move.

Ideally, one would like to get a stud DT at the ten spot, but until the juniors declare, free agency and the combine all get started/out of the way, it is next to impossible to get an idea on who is going where.

I like the idea of trading for Vilma -if and only if- he checks out physically.

I also like the idea of upgrading the safeties as well as the cornerback spot opposite McKenzie... but again, we have to see if they try addressing that in free agency first.

Right now, I think the Saints will look to beef up the D-line and linebacker position in the draft, try to fill the holes in the secondary in free agency...

I also can picture the groaning already, but don't be shocked if they try to upgrade the receiver/tight end positions in both free agency and the draft -the latter with relatively high picks.

Meaning, I could envision the Saints drafting Early Doucet in the 2nd round -especially if they chose not to resign Devery Henderson.

Ideally, one would like to get a stud DT at the ten spot, but until the juniors declare, free agency and the combine all get started/out of the way, it is next to impossible to get an idea on who is going where.

I like the idea of trading for Vilma -if and only if- he checks out physically.

I also like the idea of upgrading the safeties as well as the cornerback spot opposite McKenzie... but again, we have to see if they try addressing that in free agency first.

Right now, I think the Saints will look to beef up the D-line and linebacker position in the draft, try to fill the holes in the secondary in free agency...

I also can picture the groaning already, but don't be shocked if they try to upgrade the receiver/tight end positions in both free agency and the draft -the latter with relatively high picks.

Meaning, I could envision the Saints drafting Early Doucet in the 2nd round -especially if they chose not to resign Devery Henderson.

I don't care if Phillips, Laurinitis, and Jenkins are available, if Ellis is there at 10 we have to take him. Right on about DT.

As for WR/TE, I can see WR being addressed in free agency, but I don't think a draft pick (at least a first day pick) will be used on one. TE I can definitely see being taken on the first day, however.

No offense the first day. Period.

I understand that, but realize you have only Colston, Meachem and Moore as receivers under contract (excluding practice squaders like Dante Ridgeway and guys like Skyler Green), and tight end Mark Campbell and the 4th string guy.

Again, free agency will dictate who does what, but again, don't be surpised by offense being drafted... especially if someone is just sitting there that is highly rated on their board in the later rounds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom