2 point conversions using backup mobile quarterbacks {Old post bumped} (1 Viewer)

someone

Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So Grayson's two point conversion run got me thinknig...

Scoring from the 2 yard line is very difficult. There's not much space to get an open receiver and 2 yards is a long run when the defense is bunched in so tight. The greatest scoring threat from that point on the field is a mobile quarterback. By spreading the formation out and calling run/pass options, you help create the movement necessary to create holes in the endzone. This is why it's nearly impossible to stop Carolina when they get in that close. The issue, however, is that you don't want your starting quarterback taking big hits diving for the endzone. Therefore, I can see teams beginning to use backup quarterbacks who can run to try to convert. The touchdown is already made. There is very little risk in turning the ball over. The reward of converting greatly out-weighs that risk.

Prime example is Jacoby Brissett in New England. He's a big, powerful runner with great athleticism and a strong arm. He'd be difficult to stop from the two yard line. You don't have to worry about him making mistakes because they don't cost you much (unless a turnover is returned, but that's very rare). And you don't risk injuries to your starter trying to scramble for two.

As the game evolves, strategies evolve. Moving the extra point back has a trickle down effect and I can see this strategy being a result of that.

It is difficult to score from there consistently.....that's why I'd kick the XP
every time unless scores dictates it.
If you had to go 2, I like the idea of mobile QB having options.

I'd go for two about 50 percent of the time. Depends on how the game is evolving and if you like a play. Also we gotta keep it mixed up, don't want teams keying on plays. Plus it gives the other team more film to study, more things to worry about.

Just keep incorporating Lewis and his speed jet sweep ability....it worked to perfection!

Well, two years later, but we may have found the quarterback to actually do this.

I say go for two in the first half, every time you score a TD. In the second half, look at the scoreboard and then decide if a 95% or so chance at one point is better than a 48% or so chance at two points.

Bartyboy:
"As long as you can convert over 50% of the time it makes sense."

I'd fine tune that just a bit and say to go for 2, as long as your 2 pt success percentage is at least half that of your 1 pt success percentage (because those kicks don't have a 100% success rate).

Which means that it should usually make sense to go for two, although game situation would still matter.

Prophetic. I read "Grayson" and thought it was a mistake, then looked at the date of the post. :covri:
The idea is a good one. As others have noted, it's very hard to prevent a read option play from gaining less than two yards.

If Hill can consistently hit that slant to Thomas that Brees scored the first 2 pt conversion on then we could be way better than 50%. It would be unstoppable. You couldn’t sell out for the run.

Over the years, I've heard the rule of thumb is, always go for 1 early, unless desperate. Only go for 2 when you need 2 points to win the game. Now,,, that was before the longer XP, so it probably makes a little more sense to go for 2 in more situations.

You are going to have to pick and choose when to use Twosom Hill. Now fake punts I can see more frequently. You don't want everyone to know all of your 2 point plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom